Level of CO2 for growing room

Hello, guys im thinking about co2 system, i read somewhere that the co2 room level must be 1500 rpm , so the question is it safe to be in that room with that much co2?

1 Like

What are safe levels of CO2 in rooms?

CO2

250-350 ppm       Normal background concentration in outdoor ambient air
350-1,000 ppm     Concentrations typical of occupied indoor spaces with 
                  good air exchange
1,000-2,000 ppm   Complaints of drowsiness and poor air.
2,000-5,000 ppm   Headaches, sleepiness and stagnant, stale, stuffy air. 
                  Poor concentration, loss of attention, increased heart rate
                  and slight nausea may also be present.
5,000 ppm      	  Workplace exposure limit (as 8-hour TWA) 
                  in most jurisdictions.
>40,000 ppm 	  Exposure may lead to serious oxygen deprivation resulting
                  in permanent brain damage, coma, even death

Table - Source

I don’t use CO2 personally, cause I think I have still room to improve other parts (genetics ,…)… but I’ve noticed that there is ongoing discussion about what are proper CO2 levels for growing cannabis.

There is interesting post on icmag that cites numerous studies that have shown that ideal level should be somewhere around 1000 - 1200 ppm (0.1 - 0.12% CO2 in the air). Higher doses of CO2 led to reduction of the yield.

[wheat] Plants in the greenhouse trials responded similarly to those in the growth chamber trials; maximum yields occurred near 0.10 and 0.12% CO2 and decreased significantly thereafter.

6 Likes

yoiu think that 1500 ppm is to much? From this ytable i see that, about 1000 ppms is not very dangerous.

1 Like

and another question is does co2 helps get bigger yeld? Sorry for bad english

You’ll get 100 answers and a lot of them will be right. There are a lot of variables at play when it comes to CO2, and every strain is independent of one’s self. In the last almost [gulp] 40 years I have run CO2 on and off. Halides, Sodiums, T5’s and everything in between.

I’ve only run LED’s now for the last 6 years and I can tell you I have never seen the results I had previously with any other setup. That said let me explain how I use it and where I think it shines in my setup. I am sure @Kraven can back me on this when I say that vegging a plant is very over rated.

Whether it be seed or a cut, I am flipping it in 14 to 21 days in to the flower room. I run my room at 1350 PPM CO2 and 82 degrees with an RH of 65% which some will tell you will cause PM and it will provided you are not providing good air movement.

The following pictures are over a 4 week span, and this is a new strain I am working which has quite a lot of vigor.

At the flip

7 days later

2 weeks later

1 week later

I haven’t taken any pics this week, but I am sure you can see where these are going. 11 to 12 week tops on Indica leaning plants.

If your running Sativa based strains, that’s an entirely different animal indoors and i’d recommend 20’ foot ceilings.

:peace:

7 Likes

I just made the changes you suggested @LED_Seedz [upped my flower temp to 82 / upped the CO2 to 1300ppm] and my stuff just exploded. It has taken time to get everything dialed in, but should be close to or over my goal of 2 grams per watt soon. :peace:

3 Likes

Thank guys for help!!!

2 Likes

Andanother question, i need use co2 in all stages or only in flowering?

1 Like

I use it in flower. Can be used in both but flower is where you get the most bang for the buck.

1 Like

Ledz, can i text you in private message? I have couple questions for you

2 Likes

Guys, if it is on the topic, consider discussing it here to share the knowledge with the public. It’s appreciated!

2 Likes

I am happy to share both in the thread or in private and agree if it is on topic we keep it public. I also get logistics and totally understand the privacy for people in areas where the subject could be frowned upon.

I’m cool either way @Kingtut

3 Likes

No, its not in topic, but i have some silly questions, and i need to post them in diferent topics :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Guys and what about air exhaustion with co2 system? Or i need to exhaust air only in night time?? I asking becouse i found somewhere that you dont need air ventilation when using co2??

1 Like

It has been reported by others that a room should be exhausted at the end of the light cycle. Personally I haven’t done it in years and don’t see a need.

Things that need to be considered which change things very quick are things like the AC and how the room is being maintained.

1 Like

That is actually something that Grand Master Level discuss in one of the previous live streams.

He has just found out that when you have air-tight room and are using CO2 burner it needs to be ventilated, otherwise there is not enough oxygen.

https://youtu.be/8jtSKBtn82Q?t=4m40s

/edited later/
Grand master level is using Burner method.

2 Likes

But if i using co2 balons instead of co2 burner?

1 Like

Led, do you have air ventilation in your rooms? Or you just using co2 in room without fresh air intake and exhaust?

1 Like

Thank you Joe. Gonna watch it in the evening

1 Like

That is true of “burners”. I use tanks just do to the smaller size of said room.

The room is equipped with passive air intakes, and could again be fitted with an exhaust fan. I have just found that it is easier to computer control a room if all the equipment in the room is sealed inside I.E. mini split AC, Dehu etc etc. so I do not do use any air exchange other then when I enter the room which is normally hours after the day cycle has run and the level of CO2 is good to go.

2 Likes