Is it practical to attempt CO2 supplementation in a grow tent?

Considering Scynce Raging Kush or Fluence Spydr 2i’s and noticed that both are best used with CO2. Can realistic levels of CO2 be maintained in a grow tent? If using a tank system what other equipment must be used to optimize the space for CO2.

2 Likes

I dont monitor my co2 levels but i make wine in my tent during flower to increase co2 levels. I have no idea how much it adds but im sure that 5gallons worth brings it up some. It costs maybe $15 and i can drink it all when im done :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I’m actually planning on doing the same as @Stickyjones only with cider. Eventually I’m planning on measuring CO2 in my grow space but that’s a while away.

4 Likes

Just picked up this on an Amazon lightning deal.

3 Likes

Just checked my Cdn Prime and nothing there but a beard comb peaked my interest. @ReikoX you’re making me buy things again :joy::joy::+1:

3 Likes

I read a bunch about it when I was buying my stuff and C02 supplementation is best reserved for larger operations in sealed environments.

All the hardware and setup required isn’t really worth it for 4 plants under an LED light in a grow tent.

I have one of those exhale bags in my veg tent but IDK if its doing anything, my thought process was something is better than nothing.

2 Likes

The ExHale bags deliver up to 1500ppm of CO2 24 hours a day for about 3 or 4 solid months in a small grow area that holds 4 to 6 plants.

Plants only use CO2 during photosynthesis when the stoma are open and don’t use any during dark cycles, but it won’t hurt them in any way to always have so much around.

All you have to do is set the bag above your plants and it will start flowing down over them as it settles around them. CO2 is heavier than air, so it will settle above the floor if there’s no fan to move it around.

There are DIY CO2 recipes that work for differing periods of time, like baking soda & vinegar or sugar water and yeast, that must be monitored and redone often.

4 Likes

with standard tent setup the air is exchanged three times each minute.

IF this is true for you then most (meaning 98% or so) of co2 generated will be vented into atmosphere and will be a part of the climate issues / global warming. plants would use the remaining 2% or so.

“Emissions of 130 g CO2/km correspond to a fuel consumption of around 5.6 litres per 100 km (l/100 km) of petrol or 4.9 l/100 km of diesel.” from EU-site …

So a bottle of 20 kg of co2 vented to air amounts to minute gains and harm equal to driving 1kg = 750km >> 20 kg = 15 000 km. (= 10 000 miles)

So please … only used co2 in sealed environment.

12 Likes

thats some advance shit right there…

4 Likes

Save time n money. Ditch co2 idea n just keep good fresh air exchanging. Adding co2 is useless unless your environment is demanding it. Definately useless in unsealed situation. Exhale bags yeast buckets even dry ice wont bump levels for nothing. Ive wasted time on it. And for a grand in you might get a gram out.

5 Likes

If youre really pressed they make a foliar tgat supplies co2 directly to leaves during transpiration where its used. Extreme gardening. The chit will clog cheap sprayers up. And even though it says veg and bloom i dont spray nothing on buds.

2 Likes

Also consider if your running a tent that pulls its air from indoors your more than likely already running at 1.5-3 times (600-1200ppm) of atmospheric co2 levels.

But funny how thats not talked about.

7 Likes

I posted this chart before too;

To expand on what MrSparkle said, atmospheric levels hover around 400 depending on where you live. You breathe out 40,000ppm (4,000ppm?) of CO2, so the average person can bring a tent up past 1,000ppm in a minute flat.

That CO2 monitor reiko linked might be the move.

3 Likes

I think just talked me out of filling the co2 tank

4 Likes

well 400ppm outdoors, thats what i was trying to que in on as most tents aren’t being used outdoors or where there is a high change over air wise with the outside, indoors levels of 800-1200ppm is apparently alot more common that you might think and in essence any plants are getting boosted co2 levels anyways.

5 Likes

Ended up going with the Raging Kush. I’ll use 4 to light a UC4XL13 rig and likely feed AN as it’s worked well for me in the past.

I’ll build my space as a sealed environment room; albeit, with an intake/exhaust option. I won’t run CO2 for a few runs in order to establish a baseline for the space and lights which are new to me. When time comes, i’ll likely go dual 20 gallon tank, controlled with a Titan Atlas 8.

Components have all been ordered, although COVID is playing havoc with delivery; once room is framed i’ll start a build thread. Space will get cleared, disinfected, and floor epoxied next week.

Anyone here used pond liner for enclosing floor and first foot of walls?

Don’t ask about the bathroom reno my wife is getting for being so accommodating.

Thank-you to those who’ve replied.

5 Likes

well see i was going to supplement co2 before in my tent but started researching and since the exhaust pulls it right out I figured what’s the point you know? That being said I’ve heard you can have those co2 buckets down low in a tent and have the exhaust pull it up through the canopy and all that. Then you consider the co2 ppm like in the chart and it just seems even more pointless. So what I did was just open my tent flaps and let it bring in co2 that way from the house. Anyways idk but I know I’m not going to throw money down the drain. If it was a open environment room then yes definitely but a sealed tent with exhaust I say it is a waste

1 Like

Sealed room controlled environment is where it shines .
@airedog works as long as the floor is level kiddie pools work good too

1 Like

Straight up brilliant!!!

2 Likes

Co2 refill costs me like 50$ and lasts 18 days before needing a refill in a 5 x 10 tent. You do the math