How to keep smell down but take advantage of CO2 system?

So I’m moving into the house where my room operates out of finally. Ive been limited to how I can run exhaust, smell was not an option for any room but the basement, until now. Obviously, I dont want my home smelling like dank but I’m also in the position to invest into co2 systems.

This is new territory to me, so to be clear, running my exhaust out of the basement thru a window with in line fan blowing out, would essentially cancel out any co2 im really gaining from the system, right?

Whats my best option to keep smell down but really take advantage of a good co2 system?
I’m ok with odor coming thru vents on the second floor, assuming its limited to one room. But this house is only about 15 feet from the houses on either side.

I’m working my way into a 30 day perpetual. Roughly I have 360sqft of space, 100 of which is taken by the flowering tent. Altogether I’ll have cloner, 15 early veg, 15 late veg, 15 early flower, 15 late flower (in the tent)
All hydroponics, DWC and RDWC, some with fogponic experiments. What’s my best option to boost my co2 but continuing to keep my odor under control? House has central air and furnace heating so I have ventilation options thru out the house, but again I dont wanna lose co2.
Everything is being grown under HLG 550 V2 RSPECS, right now I’m only about 1/4 capacity in my room, however in 30 days I could potentially be running the 4 stages of 15 plants fully. I have a lot of clones rooting, another 8 in regular 5 gallon buckets, another 9 plants in multi site totes.

4 Likes

correct

a sealed room. keep running your filters+inline fans, just dont exhaust or intake. just point them somewhere you want airflow. thats how i do it. you dont need a 100% sterile clean room seal either, “mostly” sealed works well for me, and i havent had any problems with smell (until its time to trim at least)

5 Likes

Essentially I just need to guide the air flow thru out the room, just not out of the room.

Any suggestions on quality co2 systems to cover about 60 plants in 350sqft sealed?

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of using a fan controller to only turn the fans on to reduce temps or rh. Then have the co2 inject after a fan cycle and be kept from inject while fan on. Got to find a controller that can manage that.

1 Like

Thank you this was helpful to me I’m trying to also figure out how to create a “sealed” room to maximize the use of CO2 tanks while still exhausting the heat and using the carbon filter

2 Likes

autopilots are fine. the 8 burner one should do you right. youll need something to control it if you dont have one already. there are controllers for just co2 generators or there are climate controllers that can do co2, ac/heat, and dehuey in one unit (the latter being what i use). tanks arent my thing, so i cant tell you much about those. burners make more sense in bigger rooms anyway

as far as exhausting heat without exhausting air goes, you could try going easy on ceiling insulation. either that or get a bigger ac unit. thats all i got on that one. remember too that if youre running co2, the plants can tolerate more heat that they would without it

1 Like

More worried about the co2 getting sucked out the carbon filter

if your room isnt sealed, theres no stopping that

1 Like

I run CO2, run a carbon filter AND have a sealed room.

So I set my CO2 controller to 1500 ppm and don’t worry about the heat from the lights during the winter months (my basement can get into the 50’s due to my closing off the heat ducts). However, in warmer months, I need to pull the heat put off by the lights.

So I have an air intake that connects to an 8 inch duct collar that connects to the duct that connects to one side of the 1st hood. I then connect the other side of that hood to the 2nd light hood on one end, and then connect a duct to the other end of the 2nd hood, which I then run out of the grow with the inline duct fan. That air is then exhausted out of the home through the dryer vent.

The advantage of this is that I am not pulling out any air from the room. The air that cools the lights comes from outside the room and runs through a sealed series of ducts.

Oh, and I also run a dehumidifier 24/7 to keep my room at or around 45% humidity. CO2 will increase your humidity, so it even needs to run during lights on or your room will easily hit 75 to 80% humidity. And I run the carbon filter all the time. It sits in the room with a duct fan sitting on top with a duct boot sitting on top of that.

Here’s the type of hood I use:

And here’s the duct boot:
ph2

3 Likes

Everything i have read states that unless your running way more light then the plants can absorb your not going to see much gain from co2. I could be wrong. But, everything i have read states that unless your really pushing optimal conditions of light then the Co2 would not be worth the investment. Just my 2 cents though.

2 Likes

This is a great writeup. Even when not supplementing Co2.

My grows are much better after learning what to do when. Espec need for venting after lights out. They need Oxygen at night.

My 4x8ish space is setup to vent, and sealed. I too run my dehuey, wall banger 6k AC. I get around 27 days using a 20lb tank @ avg 900ppm. Max I run is 1200.

Odor. Best to run a scrubber - standalone fan/filter. Runs continuously keeping space virtually odor free, at the same time filtering particulate and chit out of the air.

Then the exhaust filter has little odor to deal with when venting.

3 Likes

Hmmm I doubt I’ll ever hit optimial conditions of light

1 Like

My results were most highlighted by one particular strain I grew with and without CO2.

Girl Scout Cookies Extreme WITHOUT CO2: 75 grams
Girl Scout Cookies Extreme WITH CO2: 142.5 grams

These plants were similarly healthy and sized when I put them into 12/12. By no means do I think everyone will double their production by using CO2, but I won’t NOT use it anymore.

1 Like

Out of curiosity whats your light setup?

My room is about 10 x 11 and I run 2 lights that can run a 400, 600 or 1000 watt bulb. For my last grow, which ended up producing about 2.5 lbs, I ran both lights at 600 watts (HPS, obviously). I have both on movers.

3 Likes

Damn… So only 1200 watts in a 10 x 11 foot room and you noticed that big of a difference with co2! Thats nice…If you dont mind me asking what does it cost you a month 2 run co2?

2 Likes

Now @Grohio, I highlighted the plant that had the biggest difference in production. No other strain doubled in production, but they did all increase by quite a bit.

EDIT: I actually grew out 3 of the GSCE in my last grow, and all 3 finished between 134 grams and 142.5 grams. So it wasn’t an anomaly for that one plant - that strain clearly loved what it was getting.

The cost of CO2 is relatively cheap. I can run my 50 pound tank for 6 to 8 weeks and it costs me $26USD to fill.

4 Likes

20 bucks for a tank full here almost worth the 20 bucks not to second guess myself later even if it is all vented out :unamused:

2 Likes

It has definitely sparked my interest. I didnt realise a tank would last that long. I was figuring a tank a week.

2 Likes