Using co2? Generator or tank?

I have been wondering about co2 usage for a while now, do we have any co2 people here on OG?

I would like to know do you use co2 in a tank or a generator?

Pitch in… Thanks gang.

6 Likes

my question would be, if you’re not a commercial grower trying to squeeze the most yield out of a limited space, why bother? The quality of herb seems excellent without added CO2.

Also, every day that goes by, there is more CO2 in the atmosphere anyway. The amount of CO2 in the air has gone up by 50% since the early 1800’s.

10 Likes

Agreed, exchange air 2x per minute and there will be plenty of CO2.

4 Likes

I’m a gasser I use 20# soda tanks, timers regulator and flow valve. I also use a data logging Co2 meter ,

5 Likes

About time you showed up, slacker!

2 Likes

How’s that gong for you bro?

1 Like

I feel the system works well, timed shots of gas. The plants really seem to grow out and recover from mistakes faster, I maintain an average of 1200ppm measured at the plants level. I get up to 2500ppm right after shot drops down to 850 right before the next hit

3 Likes

It just doesn’t take as much gas as people think, I feel safer in that my house won’t be blowing up if a regulator fails while I’m not standing by.

2 Likes

I agree. At my new spot I will be burning LP to produce CO2. when I am not doing a project I have a two small grow rooms at the house that I use for personal smoke and crosses. at home I don’t use CO2.

3 Likes

I use bottled CO2 controlled by a CHHC-4i controller with fuzzy logic. No guess work and the results speak for themselves. If you have any specific questions I can try and help.

4 Likes

Well thanks man!

I am wondering, the microphone looking thing is the probe that goes inside the tent, if you have a tent; and what about a regulator?

Thanks @LED_Seedz, i appreciate it.

1 Like

How would you rate this one?

I do not have any tents, but yes if you’re talking the CHHC-4i it has a probe that reads all of the rooms information. It tells the regulator when to open and close and it learns the room and when and how much to release. It also runs the AC, and or a heating device and a humidifier, fans, whatever your using.

The regulator just plugs in to the CO2 outlet and is controlled that way.
As for what I use, it’s very similar to this one:

https://www.zenhydro.com/titan-controls-co2-regulator-10-cs-12371.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7MDPBRAFEiwAppdF9JBv3O7qioi9OwYrEJueeErTEcoYoVKpz85QoJwN--dQize1s11OXxoCmN4QAvD_BwE

2 Likes

I’ve never had the slightest inclination to introduce CO2 into my grow. Yeah, they might grow a little better, and the yields might improve a bit, but once you’re up and humming on a schedule – assuming you’re growing for personal use – you’ll probably end up with more than you could ever smoke.

Maybe I’m underestimating how much you smoke – at my current rate of growing (including multi-month veg cycles and the Worst Grow Ever this past summer), I think I’d have to smoke a half oz a week to keep up with my harvests.

Grow out your photoperiod babies until they’re beasts, flower the crap out of them, and then see if you want to drop some cash on CO2 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no first hand experience with that model so I really can not comment. I do know that Autopilot as a whole has struggled a bit trying to compete with Sentinel and Titan.

2 Likes

Well, that sounds like good advice, i am looking into it, currently have no dough to buy a tank and a regulator and fill the tank and the ppm meter w/ probe, i mean it’s like $700 easy. So no, no for now. Actively looking for info, that; i am.

2 Likes

Different strokes for sure, but for me it’s not so much about the yield as it is more about speeding up the overall process lowering the total overhead. I see people veg plants 40, 50 even more at times. I veg 14 to 21 days max and flip. That’s cutting three extra weeks of light power, 6 weeks if you consider I am doing most of my vegging in 12/12. Add to that 3 weeks less cooling, feeding and you can see where I am going.

4 Likes

I use CO2 at my house, but not for growing lol…I made a tap for wine for my wife. She really likes her wine lol “Happy Wife, Happy Life!”

Interested if you do this @MadScientist, the cost of a small area to pump this gas into with the timing issues and regulators. I know its a dance of fans off, CO2 dispensed, wait some time, then fans on until the next cycle.

2 Likes

It’s nice to see all the different opinions about it, i am certainly getting an idea of what it does and why people do it. Nice, thanks man. @Roux

I’ve got 2 tanks that I would crack manually but recently found a regulator or whatever that you plug into the wall. Need to return some stuff to the grow shop so hope to fill the tanks next time I go in.

4 Likes