How to properly use your Seed Logo

Had a roommate banged one of the verve in the late 90’s was her claim to fame :rofl:

4 Likes

Others have mentioned this and I agree, properly labeling the strain name along with F2 would be the classy thing to do in this situation. Others growers will know what to do from there.

Definitely not cool to F2 anyone’s shit, rename it and claim as your own.

4 Likes

The seeds I bought from one of the newer seed stores that said Chocolope or New York City Diesel germinated well. They grew well also and looked and smelled at least similar to Chocolope from DNA and NYC Diesel from Soma. But they were no where as good as either one of the originals? I lost both originals a while back but did get many years out of clones. No mothers just many clones from clones, from clones, etc. I should done that differently I suppose but I was busy with work and family responsibilities. No regrets but I would like to get a better Chocolope, it was always a favorite.

1 Like

Wait! @corey has a seed logo?

Do we get a sneak peak?

2 Likes

Sure! @CADMAN designed it and @CornbreadJunior did some border work and printing. Damn fine job if you ask me. I couldn’t be happier with it! Thanks again guys!!

17 Likes

Cool! thats a really cool logo @corey. I really enjoy the design aspect of seed packages, and a simple and effective logo works really well.

3 Likes

A we some! Nice job
@corey @CADMAN & @CornbreadJunior

3 Likes

What is this nomenclature F2, F3 ? Has some topic here explaining about this part of breeding and generations ?

sorry for the ignorance… newbie in this area.

2 Likes

F2s are the product of breeding origial F1s from a breeder. Breed 2 F2s and you get F3s.

2 Likes

Cool stickers bro.

2 Likes

Thanks @DougDawson !!! it’s clear to me now ! :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks bud! I’m excited to use them.

1 Like

if a mix two different strains F2, from different breeders, its mine F1? :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes if you cross 2 different F2s they will become f1s and a new mix created by you… @ReikoX has some great advice. I would search his threads

1 Like

Not exactly. It’s more complex than that. A true F1 (1st Filial generation) consists of genetics from two homozygous (“ having two identical alleles of a particular gene or genes”) parental cultivars (notated as P1). Most of the genetics released today are complex polyhybrids made from other complex polyhybrids. There is a good bit of work that needs to be done in order to stabilize a certain cultivar, in order to make it homozygous. Simply crossing one cultivar to another does not equate an F1, although it has become common practice to do so. There’s lots of great information & research that has been done with plant & cannabis breeding. I highly recommend Robert Clarke’s book “Maijuana Botany” (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/560935886523596811/671923591797014548/Marijuana_Botany.pdf) .

Here’s some charts and graphs that may help to explain some basic breeding practices.

11 Likes

awesome tip dude! thanks for sharing…

i did my first contact with this theme in a topic create by @Tonygreen here in the forum…
He shared a game created by uk gov to teach about multi trait inheritance while you breed fishes in aquarium… really instructive

already saved the link to read later. thanks again! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Double edged sword.

You can do right by the community by simply displaying provenance.

Generally speaking it is frowned upon to make F2 and sell them but, then again, you buy the seeds or they’re given to you, they’re yours and you can do whatever your like with them :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Just a tip because from scanning through I dont think its been mentioned. Its important to a least label an make clear the generation of seeds as it does make a difference. But we also get alot of nonsense that causes confusion…for example ive seen people labeled ibl’s as f2 when its already been locked into a ibl. So try and make sure what your using and label correctly and also state open pollination or one-one parent. There are diffrences. The best f1s subtle balance of parents and hybrid vigor very rarely can be replicated in further generations so a f1 can be far superior to some people. F2s usually segregate and throw back into the parents make up so you will have to grow much much more plants to find something like those perfectly balanced ones in the f1. F3 depending on the parents can start to take the line into quite a different directions that the f1 was built to portray. At f4 you may have a totally different line to the original f1 or have something locked down to near ibl. So its quite important if your making seeds going out to the public to know your stock and label correctly. As for branding, if its your own work brand away I say.

6 Likes

Unless they were gifted to you with specific rules for using/recreating them, then you own them.

If someone paid for the genetics, or no limitations were set, then all rights to those specific seeds, and their progeny (F2-F∞), are owned by you. This gives you the right to sell them, give them away, breed with them, or reproduce them as you see fit.

This is best covered by adding the parent genetics to the label. The specific name of the breeder/the company isn’t required, but you should be able to provide the information if asked.
Since I maintain an online site where further information about a strain can be looked up, I often leave the parent genetics off the label, but supply it on the website.

^This will save you every time!! I can’t stress this enough.

I refrain from renaming, and claiming, an IBL strain until I’ve taken it to at least F4. By F4 you’ve put in enough breeding selection to make it yours. For an F1 multi-poly hybrid you get to name it because you created it.

Awesome logo!

6 Likes

That is really all I meant, I just said it badly (smile). Just throw a bone to the source parentage and let the user know. There can be a really big difference between the same strains cultivated by different breeders. you know? If a label or supporting text just says “I crossed a Haze with Hashplant” or “Mixed a classic OG with Gorilla Cookies” or something it just doesn’t ring true. There are really wacky differences between those strains as bred by different shops. And like others have said - you HAVE to tell folks what generation they are getting! There are people chunking pollen, getting a healthy set of F1’s and then reselling them as ‘legit’. Anyone who has actually spent time breeding knows there can be danger in them hills…

1 Like