How to protect against crickets?

I germinated five seeds from a pre-release freebie from Doc D Wookie 7 x Headbanger.

Everything was going good until this morning. When I opened my tent I noticed empty solo cups with one that had a piece of a leaf on the topsoil that should have had three plus inch seedlings in them.

I looked around and found a black cricket.

My anger got the best of me and I picked up a fillet knife.

How can I protect the survivor and future seedlings from this scourge.

9 Likes

Omg bro. My old house. Same thing.
Walked down the other night and it looked like a grasshopper had been munching on my Critical Kush auto in week five. Like wtf! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I too would like answers. I’m gonna do a good cleaning and set sticky traps on the floor for now.
Do earwigs nibble on plants?
Cuz I got them bastards getting in my house too.

Edit: Google answer: Yes, they do.

5 Likes

Eat ‘em

11 Likes

What no hot sauce?

6 Likes

I talked to Shoe and we agree, make a cage out of window screen mesh to protect seedlings. I use insects to catch food not as food.

1 Like

Predators of crickets include birds, spiders, and small mammals.

Could put a giant rubber tarantula in there. :spider:
And a couple of toy dinosaurs.
Perhaps a poster of a blue heron, and a sculpture of a frog.
You could ask the reptilians to protect your tent.
And there are legions of angels at your beck and call.
I thank them for their protection.
May glory rule your domain.

1 Like

I did have an infestation of brown recluse spiders. I wiped them out now I have black crickets.

1 Like

How are they getting in the tent?

1 Like

I have a house that was built before AC/Central Air. The house sits on the concrete foundation unsealed. The attic has big open ends covered with slats and screen on the east and west side. The air would blow through the attic creating suction up through the interior walls from the basement to pull out the heat and cool the house.

I have sealed all sides on the outside except the front door and porch. The porch is blocking me from sealing the crack. I sealed what I can on the inside but there is a lot of subflooring and struts blocking access.

I live in a swamp area, Bugs and Spores are a constant in my grow. I have to mop once a week with bleach and spray with hypochlorous acid or I get Powdery mildew. Im a clean freak, I have mopped the floor of my tent so much the reflective material has worn off in multiple places. AC infinity brags how thick their tents are but the reflective material is so thin it is only a few atoms thick.

3 Likes

The vents on the ACInfinity tent should be small enough to block the crickets.

If they’re getting into the tent that way I’d tape some Merv 8-13 filters on top of the vents to help seal it out. It should be okay if they’re around the tent but are unable to get inside. Humidity wise what is the rating for your dehumidifier?

They are getting in where the power cords or the air duct enter the tent through the ports or when I have it open during the day gazing at my plants.

Put a steak on top of my dehumidifier at 6pm and you will have beef jerky at 6am the next morning. Old School Power been using it since the 1980s. The new school stuff wont last ten years.

3 Likes

Agree with you there. Modern dehumidifiers only last me 2-3 years.
For the power cord / air ducts have you tried duct taping them?
That’d just leave the day gazing as the only way for them to get in.

Crickets are super vulnerable to any kind of pesticide. I would guess they probably don’t like organic pesticides either. Spraying around the outside of the house would help. If you have a crawl space I’d probably bug bomb it. When I’d move to a new house back in the day I’d use those smoke bug bombs all through the house and crawl spaces. It kind of helps doing it all at once so nothing gets away.

Check out cricket baits and cricket traps.

Cream sauce

Why Did My Beurre Blanc Break?

Nothing better over a pile of crickets, but why did it break?

Not stirring fast enough. Really though, not bad.

1 Like

Or make some Chocolate covered ones. :drooling_face:

1 Like

They were actually not bad. Like deep fried onion strips.

Crickets don’t eat plants. It’s definitely not crickets. I would think it’s a cutworm in your soil or perhaps a mouse. The piece of leaf left on the soil is a trademark of cutworms. If you get me a picture of what was left of the plant stalk I can probably help a little more. As far as the cricket goes, Bill Gates would be proud of you😁, but only if you ate it after killing it.
Cut worms will migrate from one cup to the next one

2 Likes