How & When did YOU start growing cannabis

Yeah dude, I’ve been saying it like once a month for the last fifteen years; opiates don’t stop pain, they just fuck you up so you forget you’re in pain.

Imma send you a PM I might be able to help you out.

9 Likes

Yeah man. They mess with the brain :brain: bad.
Thanks brother I appreciate :pray:

3 Likes

1971, Denver, CO. Mexican bag seed. Didn’t know a thing about it, but thought “Why not grow?” so i did. Plants got about a foot and a half high, before the landlord (from Mexico) cut 'em down. Next was Santa Cruz, CA area on an old dead and gone stage coach stop/blackberry farm. Had different names for it, but we liked “The Pick-a-Lid” farm because friends could come and pick themselves a lid. We still didn’t know what we were doing, - just seeds in the ground, water and wait. The owner sold the place, ended up in Soquel, grew for myself and friends in the back yard. But didn’t really get it going until i came to Humboldt. Got a book and a friend showed me a few things. Grew Sour Diesel & Blue Dream in a home made funky green house. Later took over a 6 light grow - all organic soil in 3 gal. pots. SourD. Royal Kush, OG Kush and a bunch of others. . Now i grow the legal limit outdoors in the sun using compost, Happy Frog, and worm castings. Add a little Cal Mag, Kelp once things are up and solid.

9 Likes

Hi @EpiKatz Welcome to OG.

3 Likes

Thanks! Me and my sweetie took a short road trip North on 101 and got a nice laugh at the South Oregon border. What used to be a myrtle wood shop now is a pot shop with a huge sign up in the air. Coming from when a joint could land you in jail for years, I still am somewhat amazed at the changes.

4 Likes

You sir, are awesome. If I can ever help with anything please do not hesitate to ask. I am an organic freak, and I have access to all sorts of amendments and whatnot. :v:

3 Likes

Was that the “WAY HIGH 101” shop? I laugh every time I pass that one.

3 Likes

Spread on the sedation little brother

3 Likes

What do you think about organic Coconut Sugar :coconut: for the garden?
Picked some up yesterday smells & tastes like Molasses basically.

2 Likes

I have never used coconut sugar in the garden. Were you thinking of using it in a compost tea as food stock? I don’t know that I would be adding sugar directly to my soil, but that’s me.

3 Likes

To replace molasses, mix it with water & feed.
Probably once a week. @PlantShepherd

1 Like

Gotcha. Sugar feeds microbes (good and bad), and I expect the coconut sugar will be no exception. Like I said, I don’t usually apply sugar sources directly to the soil. However, if you are seeing positive results, and are not having issues with stem or root rot I would say go for it. :+1:

3 Likes

2016 I got back into weed after a decade off and bought a quarter of Choco-Latte and a quarter of Strawberry Cough. The Choco-Latte had about 12 seeds in it and I decided to give it a shot. I bought this monster of a light since I had no clue what I was doing. I knew it was a total cheapo but I hoped it would grow something. While growing a healthy looking seedling under it a new guy at work randomly asked my buddy if he knew anyone who wanted grow equipment and my buddy sent him to me.

The timing was just meant to be. He gave me an 8’x8’ tent, a 2.5’x5’ tent, a T5, a 315W CMH with ballast, a 1000W HPS with ballast, an inline fan with speed control, a cloning machine, and a box of nutes that included a ph testing kit and both ph up and down… for $100! I don’t have much luck in life in general but between timing and price I won the lotto with that deal!

The Choco- latte ended up outgrowing the tent despite topping. Got a ton of bud off it and it came out really nice so I was sold on growing right away. I also threw the dude another $100 at some point because even for $200 I got hooked the F up!

8 Likes

Ahhh the Cali favorite hippie strain from what sources I’v seen, this last grow for me had a decent size mother and a couple of clones ,looking forward to trying my own, smoked a bit of it years ago but hardly recall what it was all about

2 Likes

Fairly lackluster in taste or smell, but the high is phenomenal and best for anxiety and depression

3 Likes

How does it do for sleep issues? @Meesh

2 Likes

Man so the first time ever was so embarrassing. I germinated 3 seeds that I had gotten from herbies head shop I believe it was from. I planted these seeds with their tails poking out of the soil, because since I had never grown a damn thing in my life thought this was the plant. Needless to say the seeds just dried out and died.

Very sad.

A little later I took another shot at it, I was seeing a lot of space bucket grows online. I ended up taking two 20 gallon trashcans and sacking them ontop of each other, reversed. The inside of the cans were completely covered in foil, and the sides of the cans was covered in the led light strops. At the top of the can I had a UFO style led grow light. I think it was 180watts or something. The plant grew super stretched, about six feet tall, and the yield was seriously so embarrassing. It was some of the larfiest, popcorn bud ever.

A little later I ended up getting a nice big tent, and a higher wattage HPS setup. I ended up using this led for supplemental light later on. Had some first real successful grows in the HPS setup though. Grew a couple of things that I really loved, namely Dinafem’s OG kush it was just so much better than anythign else I grew at the time that those memories really stick out to me.

Awesome stories everyone.

-K

4 Likes

Around 1991, my friends had a clandestine indoor grow and needed some help. It was my first time around cannabis cultivation and I learned a lot. They were growing NL5 x Skunk #1 and it was the most amazing bud I had ever smoked. Still ranks up there too!

I moved out of state in 1993 and tried to grow a few seeds in a closet with a couple of fluorescent lights. The plants grew lanky, didn’t want to produce tight flowers, and eventually got spider mites!!! That was the end of my growing days until last year when I was able to do it legally. I’ve been at it for 11 months now and am starting to get half-way decent. I’m totally obsessed with this hobby and am way too excited to grow every strain ever and experiment with different techniques.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend blue dream for sleep as it is 60/40 sativa.

2 Likes

Junior year in highschool I still had never tried pot. I was a good boy lol. I always had a little science project going of some sorts, grew all kinds of plants, and had odd pets so cannabis had made me curious from time to time. Well my curiosity got me and I wanted to try and grow my own, then smoke it for the first time.

I aquired my first seeds from a skateboarding buddy, and another friend of mine joined me for my first guerrilla operation in the woods… Which failed lol. Apparently scattering young plants in the shaded woods was a bad idea. Pests destroyed them before they even had a chance to fail from poor soil and lack of sunlight. Since then I’d say I learned a few things.

5 Likes