What is the biggest thing that you regret doing with your grow?

We all have stories. I have a corner in my basement full of old lamp reflectors and ballasts, to mention a few. But I’m talking the one thing that stands out in your mind instantly when you think of the mistakes you made? The one that makes you cringe…

Come on newbies, you can get in on this.

Mine was drilling 75+ pots

This is only what I still have. I garbage canned quite a few of them several months after they had been drilled, mostly because I had 22 different types and shape of pots and I wanted to cleanup my pot storage area. Most were small garbage cans bought at different dollar stores. I thinned it down to 4 different sizes and 5 different shapes.

Here is a shot of 2 of the commonly drilled pots:

I drilled all these pots in November of 2016. I was growing in soil at the time.
I did this because everything I read about fungus gnats (that’s what I thought my thrip infestation was at first) herein the GrowFAQ. Most of what I was reading referred to having to add extra drainage hole. Almost every says something like this or exactly this: “I guarantee you don’t have enough drainage in your pots, there is never enough”.

I decided that if there are never enough holes, I’m going to turn my pots into nets. I measured, layed out and drilled each pot one at a time, every single pot I owned plus and additional 40 new one from Menards. The smallest, the 5" squares, have over 150 holes. Some have as many as 224 holes each. I know I at least 75 pots. My records weren’t very thorough at the time, so I don’t actually know how many I had then.

This was exhausting and tedious. And totally NOT WORTH IT! It took me much too long to realize that the little flyin’ fuckers loved them. Once again I had misread the white crud surrounding many of the vent holes. I assumed it was nutrients leaching out. I was by now using coco as a substrate and the instructions I was following for my first coco grow came from the company that I bought the coco from. These instructions said to feed with every watering and feed until 20% run-off. So it was very conceivable that the residue was feed.

It was in fact thrip crap or what ever their slime is. Although at the time I had determined this, I thought it was gnat shit.

The end result: I thought that drilling was going to turn out to be the end all solution to my problem. Made sense on paper. It actually compounded my problem!! I spent all of the rest of 2017 and even up until today, getting rid of the thrip civilization inhabiting my home. I ended up buying 16 each of these pots to fix my fix:

That’s my story, anyone else got one?
C50

17 Likes

Biggest thing I regret… Hrmm. Good topic.

I think the #1 thing has been in the past when I chopped WAY too early. Had a beautiful auto I was growing in the “High-Pod” style 44gal trash can with PLL side lighting. I misjudged the trichomes or didn’t look at them at all, somehow I decided chopping a full 2 weeks early was a good idea.

I ended up with almost 3 ounces of non-active herb. Never smelled good, never gave any kind of medicated effect. 3 months down the drain for a noob mistake lol.

6 Likes

Mine is trying too hard to save money on lights. I started out with CFL’s. I had 500 watts worth when I finally decided it wasnt going to work very well - due mostly to heating issues. So, I wasted all that time and money on the lights, plus extra time and money on ducting to bring in outside cold air, and an extra exhaust fan because the first one was too small.

I actually spent more money on CFL’s, cords, light sockets, power strips, fans, ducting, etc than I spent on the Solstrips. Now I have more usable light with 300 watts and the heat is not an issue.

14 Likes

Homework.

We all gots to do our homework.

4 Likes

I thought it was a good Idea to put veg nutrients in a flower nute bottle and ‘fix it later’, well i forgot to fix it and found my mistake 6 weeks into flowering.

letting plants grow way too big thinking that they will produce more.

I sprayed my clones with isopropyl alcohol when half awake thinking it was my water sprayer.

Not putting the pumps back on automatic on the timer after a manual water and let newly planted clones dry out for a day and a half.

10 Likes

Forgetting to label clones, with 20 of them on the table.

Yup.

OCD about lights, no issues to date.

7 Likes

@Jellypowered,
Oh, that’s a painful memory. :confounded:

@anon32470837,
I’ve a pile of wasted expenditures taking up about the same space as my first grow room. It all seemed like a great idea in the beginning. :rolling_eyes:

@Pedro_Bann,
I spend a lot of time worrying about doing things like that. I’m getting to the point where I do so many things on auto pilot and don’t pay attention to small details (I’m blaming age, that’s my story and I am sticking with it). So I make it harder on myself to make mistakes. My water sprayer is a one gallon container with a spray head on a 2’ long, small diameter tube. My only other sprayer is Garden Safe Insect Spray. It is a handheld bottle with the sprayer attached. I dab alcohol on instead of spraying it. These techniques have helped me avoid making attention mistakes.

6 Likes

The biggest thing I regret doin,had to be buying into the nutrient hype.u don’t need loads of bottles of this that and the other to grow good plants.

10 Likes

Same here… basically thinking these were some mystical plant that had to have special food and buying bottles of this or that… now the only bottle I buy is a bottle of molasses…

5 Likes

Buying soil is my biggest regret. Maybe it’s my area (corn fields) but there’s about a 50/50 chance it’ll have pests. Getting fungus gnats is manageable but root aphids are another story. I could drive two hours away to the hydro shop and get soil that has less chance of them. Or can just buy perlite for the same price locally with 0 chance.

8 Likes

how much heat comes off the solstrips and have you grown with them are they any good ?

They still put out heat, but with LED’s you get far more useful light for less heat. Im running mine at 280 watts compare to the 550 watts of CFL’s. In rough numbers, I was getting about 38400 lumins for 550 watts of CFL’s. The Solstrips give me around 50,400 lumins for 280 watts. Plus, the light from the LED’s is concentrated in a far more useful frequency band than the CFL’s. Plus, the LED’s are more efficient, so more of the watts goes into light and less goes into heat.

Im in my third week of flower and I love them and my plants love them :slight_smile:

Oh - also they are the best deal around for hi-end LED’s and the customer service is outstanding.

5 Likes

Did my first two grows in NFT hydro.
Came out epic
decided I’d like to try coco
so I made my own drip feed system

Only, I ran it 24/7 thinking the same as NFT.

Totally drowned my 3rd grow
rotten roots diminished yield

but nicely flushed :joy:

11 Likes

@Skiball,

I feel your pain, brother. My infestation was not so big that it destroyed entire plants, until I bought some topsoil 2015 to mix in with recycled dirt to increase available nutrients… Suddenly plants started dying and I had no clue at the time why. I was having to BUY weed from a dealer about 3 months or so that year! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I was trying to use mother plants (again) in my grow. They were the first re-potted in the stuff and the first infested. I didn’t know what it was at the time. Looking back, if I’d have realized the white crud at the bottom of my plants all these years was a sign of pests, in this case, thrips. This is what caused me to move to coco. I did this to avoid possible hitchhikers on my substrate. I still get the flyin’ fuckers but the infestation is low enough that I get plants out with some lost yield.

I’ll never use soil again. All the studying about different substrates made me realize that it is hard to know what you’ll get with plants grown in soil. In coco, I know exactly what nutrients my plants are getting because I am the one putting it there.

@Herby,

These are pretty difficult waters to navigate until you have experience. Many people here have their own nutrient formula that works for them. One of the most complex is (was?) the nutrient mix Bog (now BogSeeds) uses (here somewhere). These formulas work for them, but they have experimented long to come to the formulas they use. These formulas don’t always work for the less experienced growers because in these cases following the nutrient formula also requires the same soil mix the grower is using as well as other environmental conditions. I also found it easier to use simpler nutrients. Besides, in today’s world, there are some very fine nutrients available that require nothing other than mixing with water and pour. That corner of my basement also contains empty bottles of nutes that didn’t work for me. I save them to remind me what NOT to get.

@anon32470837,

Do you use these for veg as well?

1 Like

Right on bro perlite even better imo then coco. Very pest resistant and easy to reuse. Also better air to water ratio, just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

@Skiball,

I thought about using straight perlite. I even tried straight vermiculite. It didn’t seem to provide much support for a plant and it kept floating when I watered. I thought perlite might be worse, so I didn’t even try it. I also tried straight sand as well as 50/50 sand/soil. Sand, while very pest resistant, it was way too heavy, I could never tell when I needed water. I found coco to be a good compromise. But, since coco is still supports pests :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, I may give perlite a try in the near future.

C50

1 Like

Good to know the flush works, :laughing:

99%

2 Likes

I finished building my fixture about 5 weeks into veg. I flipped to 12/12 about 3 weeks later, so I used them for the last 3 weeks of veg. Plants seemed to really like it compared to the CFL’s.

I covered cardboard panels with silver reflective mylar to place on the long sides of my plant stand for this grow. Now I wish that I had done the same on the ends and between the two plants. I do believe the reflective light had made a difference on the two long sides of the plants.

Regards,

mike

2 Likes

@anon32470837,

I’m going to look into this. I’ve put it on my growroom to do list. Regular LED bulbs run much cooler than CFLs. I’ve been reducing heat with fans. I have two 9" high velocity fans in my flower room along with a 14" h.v. oscillating fan and 14" h.v. stationary fan mounted to the ceiling. All necessary to remove the heat from the 750W hps I am using these days.

I have 2 more 9" h.v. fans on top of my veg chamber blowing heat away from the 216W of high intensity fluoros and an oscillating tower fan to workout the plants. Only my clone box has no fans.