Hypocalcemia symptom guide. The most misdiagnosed, most common, most limiting problem in Cannabis

Great insight : )
What are your targets in ppm/ec at each stage of the grow for calcium , if feeding with every watering . When growing a new strain , roughly speaking ? What parameters do you like to stay inbetween

Are you going to show hypercalcemia ? For when we push this too far ?

9 Likes

Very interesting topic

Well done now I need to research more
Paps

4 Likes

Great write up! This will absolutely make it click for someone that’s had these issues.

1 Like

Reading this and the Auxins thread… would you suggest a lower N type nute package, say 1-1-1 vs 3-1-1 and bring in the Ca heavy?
I sense an upward trend on my well water @450ppm

1 Like

@4ftfarmer The highest n ratio I go is 2/1/1 or just shy , and that’s only for stretch : ) that’s the only time I push n : )

Can you fire a link to the auxins topic : )

1 Like

Very similar info along with a video which may be the entrance to a long journey. :wink:

2 Likes

A nice visual of various calcium deficiencies. :+1::seedling:

I’ve already started this journey. Soil testing led me down this high calcium path. :wink:

5 Likes

Surely cal/mag is not the answer or is it? What are you ammending your soil with to offer Ca as needed? Lime?

Maybe, could be, if someone formulated a better product without all the nitrates and magnesium. :grin:

My soil is already pretty high in calcium (77% base saturation on a Mehlich III test). It was built with multiple calcium sources, gypsum, oyster shell flour, crab meal, and some from the rock dusts.

I probably won’t add more lime (calcium carbonate) because my soil pH is above 7.0.

I will likely add some soft rock phosphate (cal-phos) next ammendmeant cycle based on my soil test. I will likely make up the rest with gypsum.

5 Likes

@ReikoX sounds like you are outdoors or at least on a fairly large scale. I am very small scale and moving towards living soil which will include calcium sources amongst all other ingredients. I think growers are becoming smarter and making better soil decisions which address this Ca issue without knowing the molecular battle at the roots! Thanks

Grow Forth!

2 Likes

I run 3 30 gallon no-till beds. On my fourth cycle, second time testing. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

@WestcoastCroppers Are you affiliated with any nutrient companies? TNB Naturals specifically.

2 Likes

I like gypsum.

5 Likes

Good thing that I add dandelion as topdressing in my no-till pot.
Apparently 10% of it is calcium, and it grows everywhere.
Oh yeah, and it is completely free. :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

Funny how I see these low calcium issues when I started.listrning to grow ‘experts’ who insist I need RO water and I quit using my well water…

6 Likes

Very informative write-up @WestcoastCroppers!

@WestcoastCroppers I use gypsum and tap water (120ppm) in soilles… not sure if thats enough calcium though i see that gypsum is not really that soluble.

ive stayed away from calcium nitrate because im already on a high nitrate feed (20-10-20).

any suggestions?

2 Likes

I remember the late 80’s and early 90’s when we used well water, if the pH was reasonable, and just used Peters 20-20-20. Peters is now Jacks but I think the same. I had buds that were 8-10 inches across and 15-20 inches long. Did we benefit from all the complicated crap we’ve learned from for profit fertilizer companies. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve used all of Advanced Nutrients products, from Iguana organic up through connoisseur grow and bloom and big bud. It’s been interesting but I wonder. Lately, I’ve been growing Mandala varieties and using much less nutes. I basically just look at my plants to decide when to feed. I like simple things and simple solutions. I can’t help but wonder if it really matters that much.

1 Like

@the_bot I assume your in veg , try changing your base feed from a 20/10/20 to a 10/20/20 or similar complete 1/2/2 type feed , then when you add your calcium nitrate that should bring it up to a nice 1/1/1 balanced type or close , perfect for veg , calcium nitrate messes things up more in flower , it’s then we have to be more creative with 1/3/3 being our target after stretch : )

5 Likes

Thanks! so my 20-10-20 is for throughout the grow (I got the idea from the Bugbee videos and a guy who posted as Uncle Ben on other forums, who also did that). for flowering, i just raised the quantity of phosphorous a lil bit (with my ph down)

But yeah, im prob going to have to adopt one of your suggested ratios to incorporate more calcium, i think my 120 ppm tap doesnt have enough and gypsum doesnt seem to be that soluble.

Thnks!!

1 Like