Hypothecal back breeding Isolate An Ancestor

hypothetical scenario;

Say you have original seeds for Skunk #1 (from 1978 survived the preservation/storage for 43 years) [hypothetical]
and say you have some seeds that also survived decades from 1969 original pure Acapulco Gold, but not the exact line used to create that Skunk.

and (in theory) if you bred those two many times repeatedly for years such that the AG was always one of the parents (i.e. 50%) would you theoretically approach a genotype that is over 95% AG? but not just AG, but the original AG of the 60’s (or the original AG that was in the skunk.

Oh, one of the important hypothetical pieces is that the environment was ideal and never varied (to hold every other variable constant)…and out of 1,000 seeds planted each time, there was always two that were identical to the parents (i.e. same terpene profile, same phenotype, same cannabinoid levels, etc)

I’m potentially confused here so please feel free to help me reword my question.

im potentially confused too lol :joy: are you saying if you bred the the ag used in skunk 1 over and over into that og skunk you would end up with a manly ag line?

1 Like

if so, then prolly yes, but it may be fairly to inbred,

If you had Skunk 1 seeds and wanted skunk genes, would it not make sense to in-breed them? Pheno hunt the originals or open pollinate find the qualities you desire and continue down what path you choose. Crossing it to AG would take you toward more of the AG traits. Yes you could do it, but it would be easier to just in-breed. jmo

3 Likes

You would have to clarify your goal. What exactly do you want the finished article to be. From the sounds of it it looks like you want to coax out the Mexican that was used in the making of the first skunk#1. You wouldn’t achieve that just by repeatedly back crossing skunk#1 to a old Acapulco of your choosing. This would end up taking on he traits of your chosen Acapulco plant. I think it would be near impossible with skunk#1 were it is now to try and revive the Mexican in it as its been inbreed to the point of being true breeding for the strain it now is. I dont think you cant even outcross to a different pure ibl then try to f2 as the skunk#1 side will only display the traits that are locked down now. This is due to the amount of work that was put into it. If you want old acapulco your beter off looking for old pure lines. Then if you want to speed it up a bit, get more bud to leaf, tighten up the plant, increase bud size, increase scent an resin an potency ect then experiment with adding some skunk#1.

2 Likes