Is it possible to isolate one parent in a hybrid cross of a strain that no longer exists

I’m not really sure how the backrossing or cubing works but is it possible to backcross 2 hybrids with the same parent? or does it need to be a hybrid crossed with an original parent

4 Likes

I guess you could be technical and say its not a bx in the traditional sense. But your general question, whether its possible to recreate a strain from its offspring → itd be really hard. You’d need a huge selection, or to get really lucky. And even if you find say 2 plants with complimenting expressions, you will have to hunt the offspring to find the ones with that complimenting combination.

In a perfect world, yeah its possible. Getting close or even improving is a lot more realistic than duplicating.

12 Likes

That’s something Ive kinda had in the back of my mind to do with all these Bodhi Appalachia crosses, since that strain is no more. The process isn’t any different than any other pheno selection and breeding though.

Grow out a bunch of the appy crosses. Find the appy leaners. Cross them together. Grow those out and find more appy leaners and cross them together, rinse and repeat. Will take a few generations of doing that, and you will likely never have it quite how the parent was, but you should get really close with the correct selection… likely with added inbred depression(slow/low vigor).

You’re talking a lot of time, and likely, a lot of plants though. Unless you just get really lucky when you go to pop seeds.

16 Likes

That’s a high probability, the percentages go up towards the matching parents. You’ll always see some recessive traits towards what your breeding from. But, that’s just from my point of view. No science

3 Likes

I breed 2 hybrids from the same parent all the time. Not one has come out identical to the original. And they do not get close. Some will get similar sometimes, but will still have the taste, aroma of the crosse that was used.

4 Likes

I know identical isn’t possible, I was just thinking of close.
If you had 2 different hybrids with the same father and crossed them wouldn’t the offspring have 50% of the fathers genes and 25% of each mother?

I had used a strong F5 SLH male for a bunch of crosses and it shines threw all of them that’s what got me thinking I could get that with these. i was thinking that crossing different hybrids could strengthen the fathers presence.
If I could get 75% similar I’d be happy, just not sure how to go about it. Seeds are limited so I don’t want to waste them if it’s not feasible.

1 Like

The father has 2 sets of DNA it could pass on, some of which isnt even expressed by the father (eg, my sister has blue eyes but my mom has brown eyes. my mom’s mom has blue eyes ) The DNA passed to his offspring will be random combinations of his 2 parents genes that were passed to him.

Its all about #s. If you want to plan for X and Y expressions, it would be a lot of work but thats what plant breeding is like.

5 Likes

I would assume the more you know about the parent you’re trying to recreate, the more likely you are to select toward it. Also, the more confident you are about the genetics used in the seeds you pop, the more likely you are to see expressions of the parent in question.

With that said, this seems like it would be a labor of love and possibly even a life’s work sort of thing.

6 Likes

You can always s1 and hunt through those to find something similar to the parent. Then you can Back cross that to the original

4 Likes

Breed the 2 together. Pheno hunt the beans for 2 that closely match the original. Every time you get plants similar to what you are loot for, add them into your breeding.
Continue this route until the right combo reproduce what you are looking for. The best part is that you will be able to produce it from seed again and again.

3 Likes
  1. You could just cross them and move forward in a simple line. Or
  2. You could run them separate, which will let the moms recessives show up. Or
  3. You could run them both, and only let males from one side live. Which would kinda be like doing both of the above at the same time.
    It really depends on how far you think you’ll want to go with it. I like option 2, with option 3 close behind. But I tend to let everything spiderweb into to many other things and lose focus, so maybe option 1 is better.
3 Likes

I’m going to have to do some thinking for sure, I don’t want to mess it up lol

1 Like

The odds of an S1 being phenotypically similar to the parent is low unless the parents of the s1 were similar/from a stable line. But in that case you wouldn’t need an s1 to preserve the genetics.

There are X genes that make up said plant’s actual physical expressions. You’d need all X to align to find the original plant. As X increases in size, the practicality of finding the original combo goes out the window.

I thought it was generally considered s1’s are not good examples of the parent expression, but someone correct me if im wrong. There could be dank genes in the s1 but the odds it will be the parent plant is nearly zero.

4 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up. I’m new to how s1’s work.

2 Likes

Well said. I

1 Like