Is reverse breeding a thing or am i just too high

im not talking about reversing a femal to make fem seeds but using offspring to breed out the parent like reverse engineering say i have an el chapo but would love to isolate the sour d in it and just focus my futur breeding on trying to revive it trough el chapos genetic lineage
is this possible and what should i read more about to understand this more?

3 Likes

IMO it wouldn’t be worth the amount of sifting you would need to do for something that is widely available.

If it was something that was otherwise lost, then absolutely go digging.

5 Likes

yesh i just gave the el chapo as example but i wanted to hunt for skunk trought my m39 seeds and was wondering if possible and where i could fill my inowledge on technics and abouts of the subject

4 Likes

It would be possible, to an extent. But highly unlikely that you would get back to the exact parent.
You could get very close to it, depending on how dominant it is in the original cross, and how often it shows up in the progeny.
You’d need to make some f2s and hunt those for what you’re looking for, both male and female representations of it. Make some seeds from those, and so on and so on, with some backcrossing to the previous parents occasionally to reinforce traits if needed.

As far as I understand it anyway,

:v:

10 Likes

It’s possible, people extract or reinforce specific phenos out of hybrids all the time.

6 Likes

thanks this reply made me understand alot of the concept

3 Likes

It’s possible, yes, but I hear the actual skunk hunt is a real special hunt because of the rather inconsistent showing up of the trait or something. I don’t know the specifics or anything, but I’m pretty sure some of the more skunk-versed people on here will be able to chime in. Maybe change the title of the thread to something something reverse breedineering skunk hunt or something to get more attention from those skunkalogic folks.

2 Likes

i was curious sbout the possibility of this tought i had popped in my mind the title served itspurpose it answered my initial question

2 Likes

Oh, ok.

I thought you were going to actually take a stab at it :slightly_smiling_face:

maybe in the futur but im still tooo noobish to partake this kind of project im still on yhe learning side of chucking pollen

I’m not an expert and I might be wrong but I’d think if you took them to F3s and deliberately create a lack of uniformity you should have a diverse pool and it would be easier to find phenos leaning the way you want.

I’ve never gone as far as F3 and if found good variation in F2s but F3s would be better.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in and tell me everything I’ve said is wrong :joy:

3 Likes

Actually unless you throw together pollen from various males in your F2 your F3 is going to be a more uniform one, it’s the F2 where you try to find your wanted characteristics. If you can’t find them there it might be better to redo the F1 altogether with a different pheno.

Unless my understanding of it is off, in which case I’d like to carry on the discussion :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That’s interesting because the F2s I’ve run have tended to be pretty uniform although I’ve seen some variation.

I’m pretty sure I found a g13 leaner in some F2s I ran which I feel was a good thing because of all this “does the g13 still exist” etc.

3 Likes

F2s are where you find the variation if they’re from true F1 hybrids, which come from homozygous parents. At least, that’s one school of thought - apparently the horticultural world is divided on this in the first place, which doesn’t help with the confusion. True F1s, which are heterozygous but present a uniform phenotype, are rare in cannabis though. People tend to just throw together any plants, regardless of how genetically uniform they are, and call the result a new F1 hybrid. F1s made from heterozygous parents are going to be plenty varied themselves, and F2s from them might or might not be varied as well depending on the selection process. So IMO it’s not that either of you are understanding wrong, it’s just that you’re speaking different languages. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

What would be a proper name for the mating of 2 heterozygous parents ?

M1, m2 ect?

M for mutt of course :laughing:

5 Likes

it would make sense …

theoretically: 50% of the plants will express as in the F1
and the rest will split into 25% each leaning to the parents.

but all of that is just in theory, because it presupposes the
parents to be both 100% true breeding stable varieties, lol.

that’s why imho people that claim to be able to just look at a plant and
know how it inherits (without progeny testing) can’t be taken serious.

9 Likes

Possible yes, but for a home/hobby grower breeder it would be extremely difficult. Back crossing with the original parent line would help but you still wouldn’t be ending up with the original skunk

1 Like

Yes that makes perfect sense. Otherwise who knows what’s expressing who.

3 Likes

well …
there also is the factor of dominance / recessive expression ect.
it’s not black and white … just theory :nerd_face:

3 Likes

There will be traits of the ancestors popping up, and you can select for traits to breed for based on your liking/interpretation of what you think bests represents the original. Maybe better luck than that project of recreating a mammoth from frozen sperm and modern elephants.

3 Likes