I believe we have been using the term ‘phenotype’ wrong for decades

On a different note I was wondering about the x18 that is offered by real seed company based on a reproduction/preservation that was done in Spain.
What I’m wondering is if you are aware they are offering it for one and two would you expect it to be authentic or just something they are slapping a name on. From what I understand it’s the same stock dna had which was rumored to have come directly from you , is that correct ?

4 Likes

If Raco, or Charlie is behind that then I did it. Spain is a pretty douchery place these days though I really have no idea. I know I left handfuls of all my seed with Raco and Charlie garcia when I left. If from them then it’s from me likely.

7 Likes

I do believe it went from Raco to somebody who made it available to others after that, do you have any plans to make your lines available again ? I’m sure a lot of people would be excited to see that, I still smile every time I think of the term death cabbage :rofl:

7 Likes

From Raco… X18
I remember
They told him that he was not going to reproduce it and they deceived him.

3 Likes

Here is a question that really makes things interesting when it comes to the Mendel model. CROSS-OVER! That is something that gets me. I see it working and how the exchange is done but what drives this? What conditions make this possible?

There are some situations were this process can be increased or decreased! Some attractive force causes this. Uracil might be a by product of a more ancient morphology or?? This makes my dam head hurt!

Cytosine © is one of the four nucleotide bases in DNA, with the other three being adenine (A), guanine (G) and thymine (T). Within a double-stranded DNA molecule, cytosine bases on one strand pair with guanine bases on the opposite strand. The sequence of the four nucleotide bases encodes DNA’s information. The other one uracil combines with one of the pairs as a replacement.

Reaction to deleterious combos and in order to combine they cleave at that intersection? I don’t know if this process can be a source of continual confusion? Nature what a mysterious magical place! :+1:l. Sorry about the spelling on the codons but I am not an English major.

5 Likes

That makes sense. Cannabis diverged from hops somewhere on the Tibetan Plateau. Plus, plants grown in Nepal get huge and Nepal has an average altitude of 3265 meters, that 10711 feet.

3 Likes

It’s based off dominance and is rather unpredictable in cannabis due to a number of things.

2 Likes

It’s the other way around…hops is derived from cannabis. Actually, it’s a hermed male line from Tibet :smiley:. And yes, ancestral cannabis plants were giant, thirty feet to be precise :wink: :moyai:.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Cool. Thanks for the clarification. Has anyone bred a fertile hybrid of the two?

There are still lines that get that big, I’m 6’4” and this plant is in a 25 gallon smart pot with very little food during veg.
Landrace durbin x shiatsu kush =very aggressive pine and or rotting burning rubber smells

11 Likes

Apparently yes…but how fertile is debatable; it’s called Legitimo.

Back at OP I’m not unsure this isn’t a matter of semantics…is pheno even a word? Almost seems like a term specific to cannabis horticulture.

1 Like

That’s definitely a huge plant, that top bud must have been beautiful, looks as big as your torso!

Cannabis is the platypus of the plant world, it follows no rules.

4 Likes

This was the top

11 Likes

Strange also is how even before it was domesticated, its chemotype seemed tailored to the human nervous and endocrine systems. Domestication has only enhanced those properties.

3 Likes

So are those “new school” coat hangers for carrying in the giant buds?!

:recycle:

Haha, the old death cabbage. When I change name to Deep Chunk there was no need to change all my old dc labels, I am lazy like that :joy:

7 Likes

At UC Davis about a decade ago, they were working on halting crossovers during double haploid breeding. Very interesting stuff. If we can develop a protocol for cannabis it opens the door to reverse breeding. We would be able to take elite clones and back them up in exact carbon copy seed form. A real game changer.

11 Likes

Brother Raco can be a bit of a hot head sometimes haha. The bottom line is I have no problem if folks want to work with what I have put out there and never have. Raco knows this. Shit, it was me who sent those guys pollen for that repro.

9 Likes

Just my 2-cents worth, from what I see in the Cannabis community… with the newbies, those interested in getting involved with legalization and activism, and even ‘old timers’ who’ve been growing for years, but just now stepping into the ‘digital age’ of growing…

Using incorrect terminology is par for the course in ANY case where ‘laymen’ are using terms from a specific industry or science within their own larger group of cohorts.

It is all part of the ‘English’ language to bastardize and incorporate technical or activity-specific terms.
It doesn’t necessarily make it '‘wrong’ ’ to use those terms if they are predominantly correct, and if majority of a group then adopts it as part of that particular sub-cultures jargon.
That is why the Webster’s dictionary has to keep revising for different uses of so many words and phrases–usually referred to as an ‘Urban’ or ‘slang’ dictionary… many those words and terms then become adopted as a permanent part of the accepted language or terminology. It’s how the language grows, evolves, and changes.
Look at how different the Language used in the 1950’s was compared to today…the 60’s…the 70’s… every decade or so, many terms and phrases used by the culture change, or disappear. And as technology and science become more and more mainstream to the layman - more technology/science terms become a common part of everyday language.

I feel like those who want to correct everyone’s usage to be scientifically correct are doing a disservice to the Cannabis community and it’s growing sense of inclusion by saying that 'you ‘‘aren’t good enough, smart enough, don’t fit-in’’ based on their use of certain terms that have been used for decades… especially if they KNOW what that term has come to mean within the community.

An example-- the use of the word ‘strain’ to mean ‘‘what kind of seed’’ it is… .Is it Blueberry, or Blueberry Kush? DJ Shorts or a different label that has something bred into it? Or something not really related?
Using the term has allowed people to be more accurate or descriptive in their conversations when asking ‘what strain is it’…people KNOW what they are asking.

Many people are working hard to normalize and grow the cannabis culture… but those who are the actual Breeders and researchers can and should correct their own usage of the specific terminology within their sub-set of the cannabis culture; but to insist everyone else do so is just turning people off to interacting or getting involved… and we need/want people to be involved.

7 Likes