I need help with an insect problem

i have taken them outside and blasted them with the hose from underneath. you need to clean off the bottom of the leaves. that’s where they hang out. do it a few days in a row. then use some captain jacks dead bug brew mixed with neem oil.

done and done.

the only good bug is a dead bug.

1 Like

When the run is done. Spray a diluted bleach solution all over the inside of the tent
Get rid of the soil.
Is the tent in a room with carpet ?
I’ve had spider mite and thrips only thing that got rid of them was stuff called killer mite. But I cut the room down cleaned everything first then sprayed that stuff all around let it dry in the dark. Light breaks down the insecticide. Then ozoned the hell out of the room for 2 days. But I grow in an insulated shed at the back of my house.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to tell you they are toast.

5 Likes

Hot Shot will get rid of them, guaranteed. But this falls under the “kill them and start over” advice because you don’t want to smoke that shit afterwards.

1 Like

I got rid of spider mite using a wetting agent and H202,
it’s actually the wetting agent that’s the really important part, without it the hairs on spider mite create a protective bubble they don’t even get wet, check out surface tension.

Just a wetting agent works on adults but not on eggs you need H202 to take care of them.

Method, i dunked the whole plant upto the coco in a h202 solution.

That was spring or early summer and I’ve not seen them since.

From what I’ve read I was fortunate or thorough it appears they’re not always so easy dealt with?

2 Likes

There is plenty of good advice in this thread. I have dealt with spider mites a ton. Take panty hose and stretch them over the end of your vacuum and suck the all the webs off the plant. This will take many of the mites as well. It won’t get rid of them but doing this and then washing the buds at harvest might make you comfortable enough to smoke it. i have been told that mites spend tons of their energy to make those webs, so if you remove them every day you will be really messing them up. After harvest, I wash in h202 then two buckets of clean water and hang in front of a fan until the water surface water is gone and then dry regularly. If you have more than a week or two left of flower this might work for you. Longer than that, its going to be a long battle and you will likely lose. Know that Bubble bags will filter out the mites and leave you with web free hash so it won’t be a totall loss. Time to get on a good regiment of preventatives for next time.

I have an unpopular opinion on whats worth saving so feel free to PM me of you want more advice. But I will say the best advice is to stop growing and deep clean everything. But sometimes you just want to save as much herb as you can.

I forgot to mention, plants you harvest and then wash will still have some mites… fuckers are hard to kill. But since you have harvested and hung them upside down, they will want to leave the plant within 1-3 days. They may even make some new webs at the very bottom (now top cause up side down), vac these as well. All the mites will go to the top of the stem and even up the string or hanger you are using, spray the top of the stem and or hanger with alcohol or run a lit lighter over the area and all will die. Just don’t spray the alcohol on the buds. After 3-4 days hanging all the mites will have left the drying buds to find more shit to fuck up.

My pest plan and cleaning includes:

• Johnny’s One-N-Done Spray
  • Doctor Zymes - Get 2 free sample bottles that make a gallon of spray for just $7 shipping.
  • EM-5: make it or buy it, build a soil has some, I get from local grow store. Can use on tools, surfaces and plants.
  • BotaniClean - I mostly use this cause I got a 5 gallon bucket of it cheap. But it seems to work good for cleaning surfaces and tools, not plants. I like that i can even use it on fabrics and carpet, you don’t have to wipe it off, and you don’t need PPE.
  • Wettable sulfur - to make a foliar spray. Don’t need build a soil brand, just easy to link to.
  • Alcohol - sometimes I use it full strength to clean. Or mix it with water and it will kill most soft bodied insects in seconds but it won’t hurt a healthy plant. Can even rinse it off after 30 seconds to prevent damage to plant and get dead bug bodies off. But it’s not necessary to rinse
6 Likes

If you recognize an infestation early enough you can beat them back to some extent, but there’s a reason folks refer to them as “the borg.”

The longer it goes on, the faster they proliferate. -like exponentially in a week. As others have said, once you see webbing, they’ve been living it up in your canopy for awhile.

It’s funny, I’ve read the males hatch first, grab the nearest egg, which is likely to be an unhatched female, and head for the highest point on the plant…. Crazy…nature finds a way….

They seem damn near impossible to completely get rid in the grow space without extreme measures…

I’ve got @JohnnyPotseeds post linked earlier on the “one and done” formula bookmarked.

5 Likes

Yes it is. And there is about 8 plants sitting outside the tent in vegetative state.

I’ve been treating the plants with water/alcohol/dish soap for the past few days.

The room is secluded. I’m gonna put Hot Shot No Pest Strips in as soon as they arrive.

I had several plants in the tent ready to harvest at the same time. I harvested what I could salvage and disposed of what was undesirable.

Surprisingly, several of the other plants didn’t have any signs of spidermites, so I didn’t lose much product.

I have plenty of product from my outdoor and previous grows. I also just received some seeds from “Serious Seeds.”

I have been spraying the plants and grow area every day with a mix of water/alcohol/dish soap. I am waiting for Hot Shots Poest strips to come. The grow room is secluded so I’m not worried about toxicity.

This will be a bad memory very soon.

Thanks for all of the advice.

1 Like

I don’t want to scare you and maybe you already read all the warnings… But these things are NASTY. I have almost resorted to them multiple times. Some people put them up in their tiny apartments that they live in full time and they don’t seem to die… but its very bad to be exposed to this stuff. One more thing form my research is that while these will work, the pests can become resistant to them creating a harder to get rid of pest. Like I said I haven’t used these but I read about them for DAYS trying to decide if i should use them. Hell they sell em the grocery store, how bad can they be… pretty bad i guess haha. Report back after you use them please!

3 Likes

Hey @Greenup you made a really important point there about resistance to chemical control.

Highlights the importance of using multiple control techniques. Its the same with weeds and microbes, it only takes one escape to end up with resistant populations. Lessons from farmers also show those resistance genes are great at moving into new populations.

If you place traps, use yellow or blue sticky paper also, that will help track populations in the future and let you catch an infestation when you can still manage it.

Absolutely sucks about the pests. Hope you can get them cleared out and get back to pumping soon.

1 Like

You are going to have to hoover the the room every day from now on. In carpet I wish you the best of luck they are now every where buddy. Only way I see is ozone the hell out of the room once this run if touring to try and save it. Worse case you and them have to learn to co exist till you figure out how to kill them all. Be thank full you don’t have thrips. Maybe look at spinacide as a constant IPA for veg once once flower is over

2 Likes

An option if you have it, that might work, is to switch rooms. Most of the time mites don’t move far on their own, they stick near plants.

Or if you can afford to wait you can starve them out, but that will take around 2 weeks with no plants on the room. Im not sure of the lifecycle length for spider mites, but thats another method if things get bad.

1 Like

For the carpeted area: go rent a steam cleaner and use it slowly and thoroughly on your carpet. Go over the carpet several times using the steam liberally. It is about the only method that will penetrate all the way down to the carpet pad and kill everything in its path……. Good luck!

1 Like

Again, to reiterate what has been said, and is very important: these are highly toxic organophosphates. They should not be put in an occupied space (it may be secluded, but it will be concentrated in the grow room so you’ll be exposing yourself to it every time you go in there), and you definitely shouldn’t smoke plants that have been exposed to them.
In the short term they cause dizziness, nausea, disorientation, because it is an enzyme inhibitor and neurotoxin, and in the long term they have been linked to increased risk of dementia and alzheimers. Dichlorvos, the active ingredient, penetrates the plant, so you will be smoking it in your finished product. Just not worth it to risk lifetime health problems for a harvest.

5 Likes

I also notice that you’ve ignored all of these comments, in favor of responses that seem to be what you want to hear.
Nobody wants to chop a grow, but sometimes the hard thing is the right thing. And if this is in any way commercial, it’s a messed up thing to do to customers/ friends

5 Likes

Just like spider mites @HeadyBearAdventures never sleeps

5 Likes

Damn right, I hibernate

3 Likes

Do you fatten up beforehand? I just fatten up consistently.

3 Likes

I’m betting he does by smoking copious amounts of fatties……

2 Likes