I want to feed MSG (monosodium glutamate) to my cannabis plants, what are your thoughts on that?

high rates of sodium not good, Glutamic acid as a precursor or addition well take a bit more look around on that.

Also with most people who are anti msg, they likely still eat say parmesan cheese, deli meats, doritios , that glutamic acid is Umami

9 Likes

Off the top of my head, Glutamate in the form of glutamic acid or MSG has some benefits of calcium transportation under stress.
It also has specific benefits when used in a foliar spray too.

Again I would need to check my notes to be sure, but I think that is what I remember.
I hate to spread bad/mis info.
There is enough of that spread every day on weed sites worldwide… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hey @shag I think maybe why you’re not getting as much interaction as you want from the science posts is this thing of not posting your own ideas or research as a starting point. Posing the question is fine, but it usually feels like you’re trying to hold onto some sort of information that you claim to have instead of contributing it to the discussion up front as a starting point. I find this kind of confusing, if you want to start a dialogue about a subject that you’re interested in and want to talk to others about, I think that showing your cards first is generally the way to do it, rather than being evasive. Otherwise it feels like a test or game of some sort, which maybe people don’t want to interact with, even if they’re interested in the same subject.

11 Likes

I think this is a good example of what I’m talking about. Clearly you know that it’s a nitrogen source, possibly other benefits, why not say that to me? Something like “well, I read some stuff that said it could be okay so I’m trying to find out more, specifically about this supposed nitrogen thing (or whatever)” instead of “I am a seeker of science and truth whose muse is the cannabis plant and I want to know everything”. It’s an off-putting answer and killed any interest I have in this thread. I had you on block for a while and took it off to see if that wasn’t merited but this is the kind of thing that makes me reach for the button again. Just have a normal ass conversation with us.

4 Likes

Wow, had me on block did ya.
Care to share your reason as to why?
Have I insulted you and do not recall?

I will have to guess your idea of normal and mine may be different.

I am just trying to have some fun and help folks learn more about growing cannabis along the way .

Seems you are just here to insult me.

That does not seem very normal to me…WTF is up with that?
It may be best to put me back on block now… :rofl:

3 Likes

So you mean I should do it kind like this… :rofl:

Maybe not the most diplomatic, but I think I can see where he is coming from. If people get the impression that someone is fishing for information without a give and take conversation, they might assume someone is just trying to capitalize on their knowledge.

If you explain your situation, use case for the technique you are requesting information about, and current level of knowledge, people will engage in a back and forth conversation more readily.

5 Likes

Why do any of us block another member? We find their posts to be either off-topic, illogical, argumentative, or otherwise objectionable. I don’t remember what it was in particular that made me decide to, but it was probably something like this, a thread that had potential but as OP you didn’t really take the wheel on the conversation, sort of expected other people to build it so that you can jump in and say “AHA! Here’s what you didn’t know”. If you find an honest answer to why, from my perspective, you’re not getting the conversations you wanted on here an insult of some sort, then maybe it’s that time again for me say well that guy can do his thing and I’ll do mine? Honestly I’m trying to be constructive here and tell you why I, personally, usually don’t respond to these.

3 Likes

I personally have never blocked another member ever.
My personal choice, but i believe everyone has a voice, no matter what I think of them.

I kinda get it.
I feel similarly about the seed giveaway thing here, so I do understand what you are saying here.

But as I have shown you…That has been tried and was my go-to for many years with very little success.

I can show more examples of this but it would bore you to death.
So I figured I would change things up.

All of the big brains have gone off the cannabis boards long ago.
I use to love to discuss and learn with those folks.
There are some very bright minds here at OG and I would love to hear their opinions on this and other topics.
I share what I know when I can.
I think I share my canna knowledge more than most do.
Also
I like a good canna science discussion, it is very hard to come by these days.

This is really the truth.
This kinda describes how I feel.

I am sorry if my methods offend you, but alas, you can not please everyone so you got please yourself.
Smoke a fatty and have a listen. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Let’s have some fun, but in the end get into the science of the whole thing.

What do we know so far?

Sounds like it’s an excellent pH-neutral fertilizer and might even offer pest-control benefits, as long as you have some way to control the salt buildup.

It would seem yes, MSG is an organic fertilizer.

Glutamate in the form of glutamic acid or MSG has some benefits of calcium transportation under stress.

It also has specific benefits when used in a foliar spray too.

@Cormoran @Mr.Sparkle I found this below…Does that sound correct to you folks?
My summary was:
All free glutamic acid is MSG.
Chemistry is not my best subject.

There are two common forms of glutamic acid, L-glutamic acid and D-glutamic acid. L-glutamic acid found in protein is referred to as ‘bound’ or ‘protein bound’ glutamic acid. In real, natural foods amino acids are rarely free. Rather, they are linked or bound in long chains to other amino acids in peptides or proteins. D-glutamic acid ‘outside of protein’ or ‘free glutamic acid’ is artificially and chemically produced outside of the body. This is what is known as monosodium glutamate or MSG.

Also found this for those that will not eat it.
Dunno if it hold water without further research.

In the chemical MSG manufacturing plant, however, the bound glutamic acid in the above mentioned foods is broken down or made ‘free of protein’ by various processes (hydrolyzed, autolyzed, modified or fermented with strong chemicals, acids, bacteria, or enzymes, which are often genetically modified) and refined to a white crystal powder that resembles salt or sugar. Chemical MSG contains 78% glutamate, 12.2% sodium, and 9.6% water. This chemical form is known as D-glutamic acid. It usually contains some L-glutamic acid, pyroglutamic acid, and other contaminants. This factory made version causes serious reactions. From our research there is no D-glutamic acid, pyroglutamic acid or other contaminants in the protein found in plants and animals, only L-glutamic acid. When pure, manufactured, MSG is ingested a rapid effect occurs from the glutamate. This ‘free of protein’ glutamic acid, or glutamate unlike the naturally occurring ‘protein bound’ glutamate, is not attached to other amino acids. The normal digestive disassembly process does not happen because there are no ‘peptide’ bonds to slow the process. The sudden increase in free glutamic acid is then rapidly absorbed and can raise blood levels of glutamate eight to ten times causing toxicity.

Anyone have anything to add?

1 Like

Glutamate triggers long-distance, calcium-based plant defense signaling

Rapid, long-distance signaling in plants

A plant injured on one leaf by a nibbling insect can alert its other leaves to begin anticipatory defense responses. Working in the model plant Arabidopsis, Toyota et al. show that this systemic signal begins with the release of glutamate, which is perceived by glutamate receptor–like ion channels (see the Perspective by Muday and Brown-Harding). The ion channels then set off a cascade of changes in calcium ion concentration that propagate through the phloem vasculature and through intercellular channels called plasmodesmata. This glutamate-based long-distance signaling is rapid: Within minutes, an undamaged leaf can respond to the fate of a distant leaf.

Science, this issue p. 1112; see also p. 1068

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aat7744

Slownickle:
If one reads between the lines, what are we learning here? This plant responds to touch. Every time. And imagine how many times we could maximize calcium uptake to bud sites if we deleafed several times instead of once or twice. What if we were to “touch” all the plants three or four times a day? THINK FOLKS. Think outside the box.

Shag says: Summary
Removing leaves in this manner and at the right time can elicit an immune response and thus increase cannabinoid production.

5 Likes

One can illicit the same response by removing leaves of other companion plants. :wink:

6 Likes

Yea, that is very interesting, that removing leaves from one plant, will affect the others too isn’t it.

Or if you so choose you could spray some too methyl jasmonate

2 Likes

Better yet, spraying methyl jasmonate might even be the cure for cancer! Well, probably not, but it’s cool to learn anyway.

Methyl jasmonate induces cytochrome C release in the mitochondria of cancer cells, leading to cell death, but does not harm normal cells. Specifically, it can cause cell death in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells taken from human patients with this disease and then treated in tissue culture with methyl jasmonate. Treatment of isolated normal human blood lymphocytes did not result in cell death.[14]

It’s interesting if spraying with MSG might simulate the effects of defoliation without actually having to remove leaves. I guess now I know why people like to trim the leaf tips of clones too, there might actually be some scientific basis to it; sounds like that increases pest resistance. Is there actual evidence that defoliation increases cannabinoid levels in and of itself, rather than by increasing light penetration as people always say on the forums? If so, that too might be accomplished by spraying with MSG, hypothetically.

7 Likes

Very interesting stuff indeed.
I wonder if there are any benefits of being in a room removing leaves, you would be breathing in Methyl jasmonate, probably not a lot, but some.

I found this on glutamate also
I have not found a science paper to confirm it as of yet, but the claim seem legit to me.
All comments are welcome.

Glutamate also opens the ion channels responsible for calcium transport, making it an excellent choice for mixing with the calcium carbonate in a 3:1 GLU:Ca ratio for foliar applications.

3 Likes

I think there is.
The immune response in plants seems to be well studied.
This specific type of immune response is usually referred to as mechanical wounding.

When you pluck leaves the plant releases Methyl jasmonate causing an immune response increasing cannabinoid production, that is about as far as I can understand things, the pathways ect. are a bit challenging to understand, for me anyhow.

5 Likes

So hypothetically, alternately spraying with MSG and methyl jasmonate might trigger the same response without actually taking off leaves? Since taking off leaves reduces the amount of energy the plant can produce, it’s always seemed counterproductive to me. Triggering it to push all of its energy into more cannabinoids at the cost of yield, essentially. Either that, or I’m completely misunderstanding what’s happening and need to retake botany, which is always possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Brah you just need to cook meth or use spice :rofl:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Why would you want to give your plant a migraine headache

2 Likes

I’ve done the jasmonic acid thing as a foliar and did not get great results. Even purchased the specific isomer that is supposed to be the most active. The idea is that the jasmonic pathway is activated and the plant defense mechanisms go into overdrive.

It certainly did cause the plant to react but more in the form of unusual/mangled growth. Did not observe a difference in tricome production although this evaluation was very unscientific. Perhaps overdosed but did use the PPM rate suggested in some of the research papers. Maybe over application. Only tried it once.

8 Likes