I want to feed MSG (monosodium glutamate) to my cannabis plants, what are your thoughts on that?

I wish that could solve it, but “we can’t have a re-storation period, and lower production to feed the ever increasing demand blah blah blah”, says the Bayer paid scientist.
Reversing the ingrained (and necessary IMO) large mono culture system, takes many small projects to be successful. Again the trend is sell your land to the company farm, so no ability for controlled transitions.
It’s sad, all I can do is be an organic nazi, on my property, its small, but it’s for more than just the bees.

5 Likes

That very well may have been their plan from the start.
I have to hand it to them too, leaving no other alternative for the small farmer they will eventually sell out.
The small farmer can not make money until the soil gets back to normal after all the chems that were added in the name of high profits.
Very sad and these same fucks are now looking to move into the cannabis industry.
Some folks still think that is a good thing.
If they could see what you have seen, they should/would run from the idea.

3 Likes

Very well put, I’m gonna see what comes of this thread, in the meanwhile, I’m gonna look for more of your threads on here. I’m sure I will find some more interesting posts, Thanks. Good stuff, Mate.

2 Likes

You are most welcome and good luck with the BS your dealing with.
Be careful with that, I tend to speak my mind and that can rub folks the wrong way. :pensive:

Peace
Shag

3 Likes

Well, that explains my affinity for your ‘work’ LOL Ending de-railing now LOL Cheers.

3 Likes

There’s a new study I found from this year out of University of Connecticut that looks really good when it comes to testing jasmonic acid foliars in different concentrations directly on three real cultivars we’d recognize: Cherry Wine CBD, Gorilla Glue, and some White Haze something. It’s looking at both RNA and the jasmonic pathway response in cannabinoid production.

5 Likes

It’s interesting to see studies directly on cannabis vs other fruiting plants, the studies I read on JA in other fruits for juice (oranges, I believe) showed a doubling of size and weight, but only a 30-40% increase in juice production, which made me wonder if it would make cannabis get leafy or branchy rather than frosty. This study seems to say they get frosty.

3 Likes

I saw an interesting deal on :tomato: on Stanley Tucci-Searching For Italy. Cool show. A segment on :tomato:s grown in this shit, salty soil but were sought after for flavor. Curious stuff.

2 Likes

@Dirt_Wizard
Thanks for the study, seems pretty good so far.

I found this in it and thought I would share my findings again.
The positive effects of 100‐μM MeJA on cannabinoid production was no longer evident 4 weeks after treatment

That was the issue for me…
If you spray it in flower your weed tastes and smells like JAZ.
Also, you seem to have to harvest shortly after the spray for max effect.
If you have ever messed with JAZ you will surely remember it is much like perfume.

So to summarize here…
You have to spray a perfume-like substance on your buds to gain some THC.

How much THC you may ask?
I tried several cultivars and saw no marked difference in potency.
Just anecdotal smoke testing is all I did.

But the way I see it is…
If I can not tell the difference when I smoke it, I really don’t care what the test results said, like if I had paid for the test.
Maybe I screwed things up too, it was not super scientific but I was on a quest for knowledge so I did the very best I could on a limited budget.

Thanks again for sharing the link.
Shag

6 Likes

I think I can help here.
JAZ elicits an immune system response in the jasmonic acid pathway, this is from memory so don’t crucify me here. :joy:

Anytime you elicit an immune response there is a cost and in this case that cost comes in the form of yield.

So in a sense, you get less of everything in terms of vegetation.
Less branches, less leaf, in favor of trichome production.

And yes it is noticeably more frosty, but to the smoker, I would say very little if any noticeable change in potency.

On a positive note…
Now for a super bulky, grassy cultivar with no taste or an undesirable taste, it could have a use.

4 Likes

I can’t add anything academically but on the topic of glutamates, what of naturally derived glutamates? Obviously we don’t all have the setup at home to split glutamates from some of it’s natural sources such as dried mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, kombu and anchovies/small fish but we could potentially take advantage of the naturally occurring levels in feeds such as fish aminos, kelp meal etc. would things like dried mushroom powder or tomato powder provide any benefit? It would probably just be better to include in compost but this was a great and interesting thread for my a.m.! Thanks Shaggy

4 Likes

Yes, that is an interesting thought.
We could discuss that more for sure.
Natural is always better, I think most can agree on that.

I would not have a clue, myself… :exploding_head:

This may in fact make a good foliar spray.
It should contain some chitosan and glutamate, probably other good shit too. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@shag I’ve found you to be quite clear in seperating your opinions and observations, with lots of solid information for me to sort thru. I can determine it’s value to me.
You’re not thin skinned when presented with different opinions. Open-minded. How we learn. How I learn anyways.
I have learned a lot in the last year with this approach.

4 Likes

I do know the mushrooms that contain the most glutamates in dried state are shiitake and porcini if you’d like to give that foliar spray a try or even as a soil conditioner. I think it wouldn’t be harmful to experiment with other members of the family as well. I’m sure feeds or sprays made from cordyceps, Turkey tail, reishii or lion’s mane could benefit the garden.

3 Likes

Well said and thanks for the compliments brother. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yea, an open mind is ready to learn.
I am always willing to hear someone out, sometimes you will learn something, and sometimes you just say, Naaaa, that ain’t right…LOL

I always seem to learn something new talking about a subject I have already studied.
This topic is a perfect example.
There are, soo, soo, many different views from different folks, one just can not believe he knows or has thought of it all.
You know the whole Iron Sharpens Iron thing. :wink:

2 Likes
  1. Glutamic acid is an important amino acid that is essential for plant growth and development.

2. It is a component of proteins, and it is involved in a variety of metabolic processes in plants, including the synthesis of secondary metabolites, the regulation of gene expression, and the transportation of nutrients within the plant.

3. Glutamic acid is also an important signaling molecule in plants, and it plays a role in plant responses to stress, such as drought or disease.

4. Some studies have shown that supplementing the diet of plants with additional glutamic acid can improve their growth and development, especially under stress conditions.

2 Likes

first thing I thought of :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

“If you sad in life, use MSG. If you happy in life, use MSG. put MSG in everything, you’ll turn it better. You have baby? put MSG on baby.”

2 Likes
  1. Glutamic acid is an important amino acid that is essential for plant growth and development.

2. It is a component of proteins, and it is involved in a variety of metabolic processes in plants, including the synthesis of secondary metabolites, the regulation of gene expression, and the transportation of nutrients within the plant.

3. Glutamic acid is also an important signaling molecule in plants, and it plays a role in plant responses to stress, such as drought or disease.

4. Some studies have shown that supplementing the diet of plants with additional glutamic acid can improve their growth and development, especially under stress conditions.

5. Glutamate as the nitrogen donor in primer metabolism and gibberellic acid precursor.

6. It reshapes the plant microbiota to protect plants against pests and pathogens.

7. Glutamate has a potential impact on increased Ca uptake and distribution.

8. Has the potential to increase cannabinoid production.

9. MSG has the potential to induce a signaling cascade leading to a plant immune response.

10. MSG might simulate the effects of defoliation without actually having to remove leaves.

11. It’s an excellent pH-neutral organic fertilizer

12. MSG is an awesome source for phosphorus and helps the plant to grow a healthy root system.

13. It works great in conjunction with blood meal.

14. Glutamic acid foliar application enhances antioxidant enzyme activities among other things.

15. Glutamate is one of the most abundant nonessential amino acids found in nature

16. It works to enhance the immune response effect and protect the plant from yield loss in times of stress when like when removing leaves ect.

17. Glutamic acid foliar application enhances antioxidant enzyme activities.

18. Glutamate is not dangerous to feed to plants, smoking it simply burns it to cinder/ash

3 Likes

So my cat nipping a leaf could be beneficial to my entire garden! This was kind of a joke, but kind of not…

Lots of good info in this thread!!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was saying. I’m sure the effect is small, but plants will signal each other of dangers such as leaf chewing.

2 Likes