I want to feed MSG (monosodium glutamate) to my cannabis plants, what are your thoughts on that?

Or possibly enhance the immune response effect and protect the plant from yield loss in times of stress when removing leaves.

I think we may be leaving out the important part of maximizing calcium uptake and MSG.

I am always trying to get more calcium into the plant.
I thought this was the important part and no one is discussing that part.

This is why I feel Calcium is the most important part here.

We often call calcium “the trucker of all minerals”, because it directly stimulates the uptake of seven other minerals.
It also indirectly affects all mineral uptake, as it is the doorman at the cell membrane, through which all minerals move into the cell. In the soil, calcium serves to open up the soil.

5 Likes

Not sure why the focus is on that article?
You did see the part where I stated that was a quick google search and was a good starting point for those who have no clue that MSG for plants was even a thing.

Do you have any comments concerning the facts I have posted about MSG as a plant food?

1 Like

I would assume it was an over application.
I did not have the same results, I saw no damage what so ever in my experiments.
It has been a while and I do not remember the strength I used.
If you are still interested in the subject I could look up that info for you.
That could take some time, as I still have not found my Glutamate notes as of yet.

3 Likes

I had not, I opened the link and that was my reaction. I have since finished reading the thread…

But it is a great case study showing that not everything online is true, and that we need to think critically and vet our sources, especially if we are leaning on on the scientific method or similar paradigms of thought. Otherwise it becomes bro pseudo-scientific nonsense.

That said, the potential impact on Ca uptake, and all the other nutrients that are mediated Ca, are interesting.

As is its potential to induce a signaling cascade leading to a plant immune response. Potential increase in trichome production?

Conversely sodium is known to be harmful to most plants in excess.

Interesting, a quick Google indicated that mono potassium glutamate is a thing….

MPG, in particular it really helps boost those “gassy” strains… :wink:

10 Likes

Thanks. I do have the majority of the research papers (jasmonic acid, jasmonate, hedione) on the subject up to a couple or years ago. My results are in no way definitive, just experiential.

I have yet to see others (outside of the research papers) do a 1-to-1 comparison with lab data. I’d think to do that properly with the PPM concentrations we’re talking about, the plants would likely need to be clones and isolated from each other for the results to be valid. In my case, I simply did not see a positive difference by observation from the simple test that I ran. Hence, am a bit ambivalent towards nailing it down further.

But, we are talking about hormone types of effects so things could easily go haywire.

6 Likes

For the record I did not find a valid use for Jasmonate.
In veg it may have a purpose, but in flower I had no use for it.

I think it may have value in amplifying certain elements of cannabinoids but I did not find an observable increase in THC.
Without a proper test I did not expect to know the changes but as a guess, I saw little to no improvement in potency.

I did notice a profound effect in terpene profie, it had been changed dramatically.
Those are my personal finding with Jaz.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! :heart_eyes:
MPG huh?
Interesting?
I had not thought of the potassium salt version.

Do you have a link/source for these thoughts?
Could you please share that with us if you do?

It would seem MPG is quite a bit more expensive.
100 g $60.00
Why did you choose MPG over the cheaper MSG
They both are salt based, is there less salt in MPG?

edit:
I just checked and there does seem to be less salt in MPG vs MSG.
My new question is how much less and will that really make a difference in salt build up and is that worth the trade off in price.

Thanks
shag

@Dirtron @Cormoran and there maybe others too.
I stole some of your words to use in the summary below.
Thanks for taking the time to reply in the manner you did.

2 Likes

Glutamic acid reshapes the plant microbiota to protect plants against pathogens

Shags quick summary:
It would seem that Glutamte will help with soil health and pathogen protection among the other things listed above.

3 Likes

Quick summary:

1. Glutamate as the nitrogen donor in primer metabolism and gibberellic acid precursor.

2. It reshapes the plant microbiota to protect plants against pests and pathogens.

3. Glutamate has a potential impact on increased Ca uptake and distribution.

4. Has the potential to increase cannabinoid production.

5. MSG has the potential to induce a signaling cascade leading to a plant immune response.

6. MSG might simulate the effects of defoliation without actually having to remove leaves.

7. It’s an excellent pH-neutral organic fertilizer

8. MSG is an awesome source for phosphorus and helps the plant to grow a healthy root system.

9. It works great in conjunction with blood meal.

10. Glutamic acid foliar application enhances antioxidant enzyme activities among other things.

11. Glutamate is one of the most abundant nonessential amino acids found in nature

12. It works to enhance the immune response effect and protect the plant from yield loss in times of stress when like when removing leaves ect.

13. Glutamic acid foliar application enhances antioxidant enzyme activities.

14. Glutamate is not dangerous to feed to plants, smoking it simply burns it to cinder/ash

Can anyone else add anything to the discussion?
This post can be edited by anyone.
It has been made a Wiki.

If you see something not quite right feel free to fix it.
If you can find a better way to explain things in the summary please do make some changes to it.
I hope to update this too as I find new things.

Thanks
Shag

3 Likes

Oops,sry stiff finger disease,

3 Likes

@Cannasaurusrex
Please feel free to speak your mind in this thread.
This is an open scientific discussion but it was supposed to be fun too.
It seems to have lost that element, but we can still try and have fun and maybe learn something along the way.

Sounds like sesame street or something… :roll_eyes:…WTF???

2 Likes

My comment wasn’t relavent after reading the entire thread. I was noticing one of the credits was someone in Sri Lanka, and thought this may have tied into the countrys’ failed attempt at all organic agriculture. Interesting subject for sure. Oh the stiff finger thing was a subtle Canadian nod to Celine Dion LOL

4 Likes

That part is very sad, I can not help think it all had to do with very little backing in terms of $$$$$.

I think Govt.'s around the world should be throwing dollars at organic farming methods.
But that may cut into heath care profits so why would they do something like that.

2 Likes

I wish that could solve it, but “we can’t have a re-storation period, and lower production to feed the ever increasing demand blah blah blah”, says the Bayer paid scientist.
Reversing the ingrained (and necessary IMO) large mono culture system, takes many small projects to be successful. Again the trend is sell your land to the company farm, so no ability for controlled transitions.
It’s sad, all I can do is be an organic nazi, on my property, its small, but it’s for more than just the bees.

5 Likes

That very well may have been their plan from the start.
I have to hand it to them too, leaving no other alternative for the small farmer they will eventually sell out.
The small farmer can not make money until the soil gets back to normal after all the chems that were added in the name of high profits.
Very sad and these same fucks are now looking to move into the cannabis industry.
Some folks still think that is a good thing.
If they could see what you have seen, they should/would run from the idea.

3 Likes

Very well put, I’m gonna see what comes of this thread, in the meanwhile, I’m gonna look for more of your threads on here. I’m sure I will find some more interesting posts, Thanks. Good stuff, Mate.

2 Likes

You are most welcome and good luck with the BS your dealing with.
Be careful with that, I tend to speak my mind and that can rub folks the wrong way. :pensive:

Peace
Shag

3 Likes

Well, that explains my affinity for your ‘work’ LOL Ending de-railing now LOL Cheers.

3 Likes

There’s a new study I found from this year out of University of Connecticut that looks really good when it comes to testing jasmonic acid foliars in different concentrations directly on three real cultivars we’d recognize: Cherry Wine CBD, Gorilla Glue, and some White Haze something. It’s looking at both RNA and the jasmonic pathway response in cannabinoid production.

5 Likes

It’s interesting to see studies directly on cannabis vs other fruiting plants, the studies I read on JA in other fruits for juice (oranges, I believe) showed a doubling of size and weight, but only a 30-40% increase in juice production, which made me wonder if it would make cannabis get leafy or branchy rather than frosty. This study seems to say they get frosty.

3 Likes