I went to my uncle’s funeral today

I just wanted to share this with the growmies, my uncle Dukie passed away. Two weeks ago he lost his battle with Lymphoma and left behind 4 children and 6 grandchildren. He was the first person in my life to tell me that Cannabis isn’t a drug, it was his medicine. He was a professional musician and a part time maintenance man. When I was 12 he taught me how to play the guitar lefthanded like him, even though I’m right handed. I still have that guitar. The day after he died I made his favorite food baked Uhu(parrotfish) with lup cheong, with his favorite side, kimchi and pickled onions. If anyone would like to take the time, this is the only video of him performing we have that isn’t a literal VHS tape. I hope to one day make a strain that reminds me of him and that he’s somewhere playing music and smoking bud all day long. When I’m stoned at night maybe I’ll hear his music on the wind and smile.

73 Likes

Thanks for remembering him with us, and for sharing your stories brother.
Loved listening to that jam too, great stuff

9 Likes

Thank you Heady, idk I didn’t think about how he shaped my love for cannabis until today and realized he would’ve probably loved a community like this.

7 Likes

Great tune. What a talented man!
Thank you for sharing this with us.
My deepest condolences for you and your family.

7 Likes

Mahalo truly, I’m happy you enjoyed the performance!

5 Likes

My condolences.

3 Likes

Thank you brother

1 Like

Anyone I know who can play guitar and knows good food is a good soul for sure.
He will be proud of you.

5 Likes

My cousin told me something like that today, I apologized to her because every time I dropped my grandma off to see my uncle during this last hospital stay I just couldn’t bring myself to go up and see him too. I just wanted to remember him the way I knew him and for the first time in my life felt like a coward being able to see him while he was sick and struggling. She said he always loved me and that I just needed to remember him smiling.

11 Likes

Listen the wise woman.
Nice hommage. Make this weed.

7 Likes

She’s probably the smartest rental car manager I know lol. You know I’m not even too sure what kind of weed he liked because he always told me not to smoke until I was an adult. I remember it was always very classic smelling stuff though. His room smelled like guitar polish, choward’s violet chews, and weed. The bud he liked always smelled spicy, piney, incense heavy and clean. He had a friend out in Waianae who had been growing since they were boys working at my grandpa’s piggery. I know his passed friend sometime back in 2014 and I don’t know what happened to his weed that he’s been keeping alive since the 70’s.

5 Likes

Hey brother thank you for sharing this story with us. I hope to pass down this true idea that cannabis is indeed a medication the same way your unc did to you it’s inspiring to me. What was his favorite strain to smoke ?

3 Likes

The person involved and the context were different but i knew someone that spent time to make a weed of this kind. In helping for the blueprint, we both realized that the most important was the high/stone type in fact, to fit the spirit of the person with the vibes of the weed itself. Not an easy task, but letting everything else to the “star’s alignement” was a freaking good idea, retrospectively. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

We never talked much about what he smoked! He was pretty adamant about me having to wait until I was an adult. I know through my childhood he would get something from a friend out in Waianae and that apparently it was the same stuff he had been growing since the 70’s. I believed it too because until his friend died in 2014 everything he smoked smelled the same every time. It was a rich pine, spicy incense, and clean smelling bud.

2 Likes

My condolences :pray:t2: Very sorry to hear that you lost a loved one, take care of yourself. Let you soul heal and don’t push yourself too much, it needs to take time.

Based on the wonderful song he played I can hear the creativity vibrating. So in my experience, musicians like this like that creative, jam session smoke, bringing souls together to create something out of this air.

Pz :v:t2:

4 Likes

That’s great advice I’ll take into consideration. I think the Ma Milk’s I got from @catapult will probably be a part of it. Something that reminds me of sitting in his room on a warm summer day, while he lit up a joint and drank a coke while we listened to Cecilio&Kapono.

3 Likes

That was very much him, he lived with my grandma until he moved to Vegas to be with his sons in 2014 but he’d always be running away to his band mates houses for days at a time to jam out if he had time off from the dairy plant. Even when he was up there and he was working&living in an elderly community he’d put on live shows for everyone there. When he taught me how to play his left handed guitars he’d have to toke up before every sesh so he wouldn’t “get to irritated” he was the type of guy who snapped at you with a smile but he was always right about what he was saying. It was the glint in his eye that let you know he cared.

7 Likes

sounds like i would’ve gotten along great with your uncle. your description sounds like my dad, even down to the left handed guitar thing. he was the only person i have ever heard play both parts of ‘dueling banjos’, first of all on a six string guitar and second to play up to the end and sound just like the song never missing a note. i’d love to hear more of your uncle’s playing if you ever get them digitized.

condolences and thanx for sharing.

2 Likes

Bug hugs and my condolences to you @Sodapop and thank you for sharing this wonderful story and introducing us to your wonderful uncle Dukie.

:heart:

1 Like

Condolences on your loss @Sodapop Thanks for sharing your story. I like the idea of breeding a tribute! Here’s to keeping the spirits lifted w good food and vibrant song.

On the milk, for me, she is soft (could be considered clean) on the palate, I get a slightly spicy afternote, almost eucalyptus-like. Followed by an energetic euphoric head high and very pleasantly potent.