IBL Preservation

Hi OG,
When doing an IBL preservation would you use phenos with weird leaf growth patterns for the sake of more genetic diversity? And Why?

3 Likes

No exact opposite, ibl should be stable. No diversity.

6 Likes

There are plenty of great plants with mutant leaves, some even select for the mutant leaves. Some of the best Blueberry I’ve ever grow had weird leaves, especially early in life. Just my .02

4 Likes

IBL is used loosely in the cannabis world. Also, he’s doing a preservation, which imo means you always include any diversity unless there are truly detrimental traits involved

7 Likes

Depends on the goal.

Exclusive vs Exclusive is the main distinction in projects.

Exclusive means you only want to fond this one type of plant when you pop seeds.
Inclusive means you want to be able to select from the full spectrum of possibilities when popping seeds.

DJ Short is an example of Inclusive breeding. You can find anything in a pack and select your own keeper.
JJ is an example of exclusive. You’re either gonna fond that one plant, or crap out.

Preservation / Reproduction usually necessitates Inclusive.

11 Likes

Diversity improves everything. It’s universal.

5 Likes

Yes. The first reason to include them would be to have the widest pool of genetics to circle back to down the line of a breeding program if need be. The second reason to include plants with leaf anomalies is if they hold traits that are desirable, not necessarily the leaves themselves but the plants in general. Something about the plants attributes are desirable so it’s kept irrespective of its leaf anomalies. Many blessings and much love

2 Likes

If you’re looking to make an IBL, you’re inbreeding the line, which means selecting parents that have the traits you want to lock down and breed true through filial generations.

Preservation is trying to maintain everything you can save from the genetic code, so you’d want all of the fathers pollinating all of the mothers.

That being said, if it were me I’d keep the seeds collected from any mutants separate from the rest of the OP due to the likelihood of runty/mutated/weak plants in those, but still keep them around to see what’s in them in the name of diversity.

9 Likes

Some people enjoy freaks. I say they get the chop.

5 Likes

Bring out the guillotine

1 Like

The freaks may produce a certain cannabinoid that isn’t found in other ones that is particularly good for treating some sort of disease, you never know.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your inputs. Happy Holidays

3 Likes

I say “ Let your freak-flag fly ! :crazy_face::rainbow:

Let’s put aside the inherent and natural balancing of mutations when the genotype is confronted to a sudden change of the whole ecosystem. It’s how this plant adapt it’s not a mystery and it’s how we got dankness from the primitive plant. A retrovirus get us high lol

Now an open-pol of any line is just leveraging the dominance that is the most adapted to the factors at work.

Even outdoor if suddenly you grow an asian in an arid weather, you can expect a strong reversal of priorities. What was the poor recessive root system quickly drawn and rot … become the pinnacle of the domination of the line later by simple epigenetics factors.

Expecting an accurate continuity of the smoke trought unstopable changes of acclimatization require opposite strategies maded from isolations that play at individual trait level. Or the mutants will rob the bank, it’s their role.

2 Likes

Of course, that’s assumed given the context. Take a plant that has developed unique acclimations to a specific environment, it’s going to change when exposed to and reproduced in a different environment. I’ve watched squat indicas change after a few years of successive line breeding into awkwardly stretched and larfy trees here in SoCal. But we’re talking about “preservation” in the context of antisocial weirdos with a tent in their closet or basement, trying to share rare seeds with other internet weirdos, not PHDs in a lab :wink:

3 Likes

:laughing: Next time I need to describe OG to someone, I’m going with this :arrow_heading_up:

6 Likes

Assuming some limitations on the overall plant count, for an IBL I would collect the pollen from two or three solid males, and pollinate a few females that represent the range of what that strain offers. I would label the jars IBL Mama #1, Mama #2, etc. Then I would sample the jars. The jars would also have basic grow notes pertaining to each of those females. I would avoid plants with odd traits unless those traits have value. Then I would store the seed well and grow out the progeny from time to time

1 Like

Bleh! Lies! Im super social, at least when forced and with fellow weirdos…:unamused:

2 Likes

Ha ha ha, touché!

1 Like