Ideas to grind the herb without breaking seeds

Hey everyone,

Harvested out a bunch of seeded crops and looking to see some techniques on how to bust the weed up without damaging the seeds? I have a seed separator to remove the seeds from the weed but need the weed to be ground up pretty fine to work efficiently. If anyone had any ideas please let me know!

Thanks,
Don

6 Likes

roll the dried bud with the palm of your hand on a table “roughly” enough to break up herb and release seeds but not too hard.

5 Likes

I use my hands to do this, I haven’t found a better way yet.

8 Likes

I use a colander over a tilted board.
Work the plant material back and forth through the screen.

5 Likes

@DonGnosis a big hand grinder with large holes can work well. Closing it lightly and turning it slowly at the same time, don’t overstuff it. It’s especially effective with smaller seeds and dry buds. You may crush a few seeds in the process, but if you stop when you feel the increased resistance it helps prevent most seed loss. I’ve shucked a ton of beans that way, and still get some really decent smoke from the leftovers.

Manhandling bone dry buds in a paper bag works well too, then you have some finger hash and can still sift the kief from what’s left.

8 Likes

I second this method. Works awesome!!!

3 Likes

I agree with the hand rolling.

When I am going for seeds I overdry the flower so I can crumble the flower into dust which then makes it easy to separate the seeds with some simple spinning in a plate or frisbee or a cut-bottle with a vacuum if you are not planning on using the flower dust.

I’m now in love with this “Grinder Card” for buds that I have where I know there may be viable seeds due to seed-run contamination.

It’s not sharp but grinds up flower really well and just the pressure used causes all them seeds to pop out safe and sound on the image-face side of the card. I pick them out and then continue to grind away leaving a fine pile of herb on one side with stem and seeds sorted on the other. :+1:

10 Likes

I need one for my wallet bad :laughing:

4 Likes

I use my hands right now too and there’s too much bud to process haha

2 Likes

I have one of them that HLG sent me with a light…

Thought it was a cheese grater. I just used it on fresh parmesan… clogged the shit out of it!

I’m kiddin… I had to use the text a friend option. Old pothead knew what it was right away. I had never seen one…

5 Likes

Just the same as when cleaning my bud in high school…
Shoe-box lid and playing card (better than an album cover)… :laughing: :+1:

Hey, if it works… it works… :rofl:

Cheers
G

7 Likes

I do it over a piece of flat cardboard that I elevate slightly on the far side, and I incline the other side down or towards myself. Usually I’m at the couch watching a classic movie…

I bend the edge of the lower side up to create a lip or barrier which prevents seeds from falling off the cardboard. I grind gently with a large hand grinder as mentioned above and do it over the elevated portion of the box so the seeds roll down the incline and collect at the bottom. I take a card or some junk mail to sweep up the bud towards the top which helps free up any stuck seeds.

I then use the ground bud for edibles and I plan to try bubble hash some time!

3 Likes

A really small pair of dull scissors works well for me.

Breaks the flower up nicely, while pushing the seeds harmlessly aside.

3 Likes

I’m trying one of these soon, will report back.

“This stainless steel food mill comes with three cutting plates (2.8 mm, 4.9 mm, and 7.8 mm holes“

4 Likes

And when you’re done, you can make a smooooth marinara! :spaghetti:

1 Like

I used a little handheld strainer. The same one I use to plane hash before I press it. Metal mesh one. Works good but the bud gets really damaged and keif like, a pain to roll. Was going to wash that into hash soon.
I press it into the strainer with a spoon and hand remove stems. It gets to this then I hand clean.

• I overdry bud first.
1 Like