Identifying gender from seed thread

Absolutely brother. I am a data guy, I love taking in new stuff. Any honest data is worth it and I see you already got another person in. There is no reason not to get this data, people here dropping seeds every day. Why not gather the data and see what you can prove or disprove.

4 Likes

I knew a guy that would photograph every seed , he felt he could group and search for certain phenos using shape and colour ie stripes like finger prints

5 Likes

This is obviously ridiculous . . . But stripes and spots . . . :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Got a buddy who grows who still swears he can sex by stripe and spots patterns. Cause some dude told him once.

3 Likes

Was for pheno hunting , not sexing : )

1 Like

Exelent thread!

2 Likes

Yes for sexing. Thats what my buddy swears by. Bro science. Bet someone uses stripes and spots to determine potential yield and height as well. Probably never failed them.

4 Likes

Yea that post has been a humorous joke throughout the grow forums… 100% bullshit lol

You CANNOT tell sex from a seed that hasn’t grown to maturity by looking at it… unless of course, they are fem seeds… Then pretty well 95% chance they are all lady’s

2 Likes

What about dots n stripes similarities etc for pheno grouping ( large scale ) once you’ve done a test batch ?
: )

1 Like

That would take a LARGE leap that whatever pheno/genes you are hunting is also responsible for certain patterns. Genetically speaking, thats a huge fing leap. Correlation is not causation.

2 Likes

So it’s not a definate no ? The jury is still out on that one ?

Thats a good example of how bro science thrives. To paraphrase the hunger games, the odds arent in your favor.

1 Like

So you can’t rule it out for sure ?

I can until its proven. I wouldnt live your life by assuming assertions are correct until proven wrong. Lot of crazy unfalsifiable crap that way. Bad path that. Especially with a basic understanding of genetics and correlation vs causation. And knowing how much wack bro science infects the weed growing community. But your life, live it as ya like.

Grow whatever seeds ya want. Doesnt bother or affect me. Just know your goal should be to prove yourself wrong, not right. If you want to “prove” anything.

4 Likes

I like to see firsthand before I give the yes or no : )

2 Likes

Have fun .

2 Likes

C’mon guys, let’s do the research and see if there is any madness to the method instead of sitting and knocking it before we even get started. Was trying to set up this thread as a community research, not let’s all jump in and slam the idea calling it bunk out the gate, that’s the point of this experiment to prove or disprove the theory.

Looking for the ones that wanna be scientists together and not part of the debate team lol

9 Likes

I’ve noticed after brief inspection that all my seeds are pretty uniform in shape.

3 Likes

I was under the belief from what I’ve read that although canabis seeds when formed are genetically predisposed to be male or female but once germinated roughly around the third set of leaves they determine there sex and if stressed will tend towards males in an effort to preserve the Genetics or breed but it’s been a long time since I read that so I could be wrong but this is a cool experiment

3 Likes

It comes down to genetic make up with xx and xy chromosomes, when that pollen landed on the pistil to make the seed it’s then and there that is gonna determine if the y chromosome is present in that seed for a male . I’ve seen some of the stuff suggesting certain environmental things can influence male or female but the science we know is clear needing to have that y chromosome or it’s an intersex plant

1 Like

And in my testing I’ve had 90%success picking out females on two seperate occasions. Those results would prove the method, but like any good research it NEEDS to be documented

2 Likes