Identifying gender from seed thread

That’s actually one of the handful of strains I’ve actually been hunting for, doesn’t seem to be to easy of a find

1 Like

LOL, sure I will :slight_smile: No seed popping till Sept. Time to go spend some time on the lake and in the forest and not dealing with a grow. Got 4 full weeks of holidays coming and going to enjoy every minute I can. I will keep the seeds aside to see what they do later.

Could be, looking forward to popping them down the road.

Now that could be. Could also be the open pollination and ton of pollen released in the tent. I can’t say for sure but they do stand out, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

i wanted to give an update on the nanan bouclou twins, for all those who might be curious.

i’ve been hit by a small infestation of fungus gnats, so there’s some neem/karanja meal sprinkled on top. but other than that, they’re growing and recovering nicely from their surgery, except taco is showing a large amount of spotting in its leaves. i’m not sure whether i should be super concerned, although i don’t think i am since it looks to be a healthy plant other than that discoloration.

i had seen the spotting in the leaves when it was a younger seedling, but i had thought it was due to a neem oil application and not turning the lights down afterwards. but the spotting seems to have grown with the plant.

alternatively, perhaps the spotting is because of the surgery. maybe i had broken up a lot of taco’s roots, so it had to eat into its leaves while it was rebuilding its root system.

here below is a photo of taco from eight days ago on 7/2. the spotting doesn’t seem to be as intense, although that could be due to how the light is hitting the leaves.

is this something i should be worried about?

6 Likes

Looks kinda suspect to me. I would get a loupe and make sure we have no spider mites.

1 Like

Hey @highminwin are you sure the flying insects are fungus gnats and not thrips? Kinda looks like thrip damage. I’d loupe the underside of the leafs as @BigMike55 suggested. :grin::peace_symbol:

4 Likes

yeah, I could not zoom in on the pic. I was thinking Spider mites or thrips.

2 Likes

yea, i’m pretty sure they’re fungus gnats. small, black, likes the soil, flies but slow so i can swat them to death. they keep hopping between my different containers, but i haven’t been comprehensive in my sprays and neem/karanja caking until today. i don’t think it’s spider mites, as i don’t see any webs or any movement on the leaves.

i’ll upload some macro pics of the leaves. i appreciate the assistance and extra eyes, y’all!

there are a few small white dots occasionally (the middle set of macro photos), but again they don’t move. just in case it’s thrips or some such though, i have sprayed it down with neem oil.

here’s one of the gnats i just smashed. the gnat and the small white dots are at the same magnification/scale, so if the dots were a bug, they would be so much smaller than this tiny gnat.

5 Likes

It may just be variegation. I use to get it in an old sativa line I use to work on a consistent basis. Fungus gnats are like a fruit fly whereas thrips are long and skinny, like a grain of rice. That one looks long and skinny. Is there any way you can zoom in on the white spots?

6 Likes

That’s 100% variegation… now, you may have pests too, but the damage is from a mutation.

3 Likes

this is the best i can do, budderton. taking zoomed in pictures of those small white spots is like trying to take a picture of a fly. lol!

in the third picture you can see a piece of blue thread, just to give you an idea of scale. the fourth picture might be of a tiny little baby bug in the center, but it’s the only one i saw while scoping the leaves. the other white spots just seem to be… white spots. maybe developing trichomes?

it may be, mithridate. i do remember with my first grow i had a durban plant that showed yellowing/light colored variegation that eventually went away. my hypothesis with that was also that it had gone through a period of stress and unhappiness and that’s what was showing, but once it got settled and i figured out a good regimen for it, the discoloration faded.

but i’m happy to have scoped this plant, so i’m pretty confident it’s not bugs or predators. i’ll keep an extra special eye on it the next few days.

6 Likes

I agree. If it were bug damage, that plant probly would be dead or dying. Probly variegation. Still pays to keep an eye on it. It don’t take long for bugs to get ahead of the game.
I was thinking too, that your other plants are not spotted like that. Usually, if one plant has bugs, it’s best to look at all of them. They don’t just stay on one plant, in my opinion.

3 Likes

That happened to me just last year. Grew out some ancient bag seeds an old stoner friend gave me under a crummy desk lamp after soaking them and picking the sinkers. Out of a few dozen bag seeds only a small few sank, and of those one dampened off, one grew into a happy male, and the other “two” I had thought at first were just planted real close to each other when I planted all the seeds originally, but now I’ve seen it here it may have been twins. The twins and the happy male each went into their own 1gal from solo cups to grow out.

Out of the twins one was a female and grew to the same height as the happy male with similar vegetative structure while the other twin was a tiny tiny maybe 2 or 3 inch male.

3 Likes

hey, i’m back with results of the “gender from seed” experiment now that all of my plants have shown sex.

as a recap, we started by germinating seven seeds, one of which turned out to be the nanan bouclou twins (so +1). two others from that first set died prematurely… rip new caledonia 4 and queen mother 2 (so -2). shortly thereafter we popped another two seeds, only one of which made it past the seedling stage (rip viet black 3).

so we’re left with seven plants. lets take a look at them starting with the earliest ones to show gender.

IMG_5061b

queen mother 1 was the quickest to reveal her sex, popping some pistils on 7/17 (29 days after germination).

four days later on 7/21, we get two more females with queen mother 6 and new caledonia 2 showing pistils.

sadly, our first male, nanan bouclou 1 shows his sacs. he was the fastest growing of the bunch, so i suppose that myth about fast growers being predominantly male holds true here.

still waiting on the nanan bouclou twins and viet black 1, which is understandable since the twins were stunted due to the separation transplant and vb1 was germinated about a week after the others.

just three more days later and we see that the rest are females. i had been calling taco a male, but i’m happy to be proven otherwise! and actually having just the one male in the group (nanan bouclou 1) is not bad, since i can isolate him for pollen and make seeds if i want to without having to worry about any other males.

so the experiment ended with 1 male and 6 females. that’s a pretty good batting average i’d say, and i’m excited to germinate my next round of seeds based on these same principles. i’ll have to get pictures together like last time and we can all vote again.

oh before wrapping up, let’s take a quick look back at nanan bouclou 1’s seed form to see if there’s anything different we see about the volcano dimple shape knowing now that it was a male seed.

i dunno, perhaps nb2 may have been a better pick. i’m almost tempted to pop nb3 and nb4 to confirm whether they’re male or not, but sadly i have not kept them separated from the rest of their seeds.

8 Likes

I also posted this picture a couple years ago and a lot of members said that this is all BS…so I just let it be…but I think I’m gonna do my own experiment this fall for my indoor grow…throughout the years of my growing I have done quite a few experiments myself just to prove or bust a myth that the growing community says it’s not true…
Case in point, pollen will only last 1.5 years max and viable in storage…well I proved the growing community wrong because I used a male Vietnam Black pollen that was in storage for 15+yrs…I have more 15+yrs.old pollen which I will use to pollinate 2 of my outdoor strains in a couple of weeks when they start to flower…I have to do more than just 1 experiment just to prove to myself that pollen can last for a long time when stored properly…
I will do this seed experiment a few months for my indoor grows th his winter…

sexingseeds

Pix below are myths that I have busted…you can’t use a clear container for a cheapo cloner to root cuttings, it has to be dark so no light can shine through…myth busted…another that I busted was your cuttings won’t root if the rockwool is constantly wet because you need a drying off period so the cuttings can root…myth busted.

Sometimes you have to say to yourselves, WTF I’m gonna do it anyway…that’s how I’ve been throughout my life folks…I’ve always had this mentality in my life, once you give up you admit defeat…its hard for me to admit defeat…

12 Likes

I understand the sentiment but I have found that some users on the forum have not a clue how they come across so condescending. If they do know how they are coming across then they are just assholes.

I’d be interested in seeing you do your own experiment. Believe it or not, I know that I don’t know everything.

12 Likes

I’m interested in seeing the results… but again, and I’m not trying to be condescending, please keep in mind that this is different from disproving a hypothesis that something can’t be done. To disprove that you can’t root cuttings without total darkness for the stem, or without a dry period, is very easy because you only have to do it once and you have disproven the hypothesis that such a thing is impossible. To prove scientifically that you can select female seeds from solely external characteristics, you need to exactly quantify the external characteristics you’re looking for - something none of these experiments have yet done, leaving it to naked-eye judgments - and then do the experiment over, and over, and over, and over again, each time reproducing the results 100% correctly. If you can’t reproduce the results correctly, then something is wrong with the hypothesis and it needs to be re-examined and redefined. Getting 6/7, shrugging it off because you haven’t bothered to define the experiment in the first place, and saying you’ve proven something barely even resembles the scientific process. If you’re not trying to follow the scientific process, then calling what you’re doing proof is a bit misleading imo.

I got 6/7 females from the last 7 seeds I started - I attributed it to the fact that I planned to get about half males and cull them, and that the universe deliberately gave me females to ruin my plans. Pretty similar results to 6/7 from looking at the bottoms of the seeds, but I’ll be the first to say that my hypothesis will probably not hold up under scientific testing. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

@Cormoran well said

close to 20 years I’ve seen the same experiment over and over again on different forums with very little conclusive proof that it works. I’ve never seen anybody on a large scale basis of possibly 800 to 1000 seeds , well documented taking exact measurements. Personally I’ve cracked a pack of 10 and got nine males one female ,I have cracked packs of 10 got 8 females 2 males.
And by the looks of the seeds I would’ve never of guessed I don’t mean anybody any disrespect and experimentation is good knowledge is power and I hope one day you prove us old hippies wrong good luck with this

Peace
Paps

7 Likes

yep, i totally agree that 1/7 males isn’t any sort of conclusive evidence proving this hypothesis is right or wrong. it’s not even close to proving anything, and i may very well get a majority of males with my next attempt. but i’ll keep at it for now. i’m a new grower still, so i’ve got that beginner’s enthusiasm and naivete.

4 Likes

6 for 7 is a nice batting average!

3 Likes

Someone should apply for a grant. Grow out thousands of seeds, test sex with PCR, and apply machine learning to the images of the seed. One could provide a service to determine the sex based on an image of the seed.

12 Likes