In the “Jungle-woofer” : Little Miss Finola Foxtail (high CBD)

So I finally held my “promise” to test out something more properly in the “Jungle-woofer”…

("Jungle-woofer" = super-stealthy hifi-speaker growbox)

-Howdy to anyone here who followed that thread! :grin:

…and though I could’ve, and in many ways should’ve, done the grow with a normal indoor bred photoperiodic strain to really test the speaker box, I just had to instead choose the Finnish autoflowering hemp strain Finola. Just this summer they released the info on its CBD-properties. www.finola.fi/cbd …and seems it can be even 15% and above…(!) -Mostly it is (still) of course just outdoor field-grown for edible seed/oil. It’s the very same strain that tens of thousands of hectares in Canada are full of, and very possibly the basis of many high cbd autoflowering strains too. It was released already in 1995, accepted 2 years after that in Canada and first in 2003 in it’s native country Finland. Read the breeder was almost kicked out of the country back then, even it it was all done properly in an university… and soon enough he’ll probably be regarded a hero even by the government. Times sure do change, even if way too slow… :expressionless:

Anyway, this version of the jungle-woofer is a bit larger, but not much, than the last one. The inside dimensions are (in metric) 25 (d) x 31,5 (w) x 48 (h) cm. Minus what height the lamp takes away.

So, these high-CBD autoflowering seeds come CHEAPO! Like a bag of thousands for half the price of 1 “normal” high-cbd strain seed… :joy: Of course, not feminized and only maybe 1/10 of the seeds are really “grow-worthy”. (Like dark, big, striped etc…). Anyway, they’re widely available in health food stores in Canada, both organic ones and regularfor sure, if anyone should fancy a go… :seedling: Outdoors they behave just like all other pure autoflowers.

Unfortunately this grow was far from perfect. So many things went wrong, though not bad enough to have to end it. And it was research, both for the speaker box as well as for this strain. I wasn’t expecting anything really, just did my best, which almost seems like my worst. I do have better grows under my belt, so I just had to laugh at it in the end, and try to learn something of it.

Would I grow Finola indoors again? YES, but not in a box this small… Next time a photoperiodic strain for sure! :innocent:

The speaker is otherways completely the same design as the “original” one, only a bit larger and the lamp is different and stronger, 30w instead of 20, and has cooling fins also. It’s a good quality but “cheap” normal small floodlight from a hardware store. Driverless and ip54 as they are, and very sturdy. CRI above 70. 4500K. Cree. I tried it before over some seedlings for a few weeks, and seems 20cm distance is quite optimal, they didn’t stretch any extra at all and were really healthy, bushy and good side branching and all. 10cm seems kinda minimum but the leaves/tips don’t really burn for a few days even if they grow all the way up and touch the glass, which is a bit weird as the whole plant definitely suffered from light stress this time, badly (but probably mostly because I had a 50watter scorching her in there the first few weeks after she moved into the speaker… that was a mistake. :grimacing: ). So i’m still not sure about it. Would make the pot only half the height next time so there is more vertical space for growth, and just see to it that the plant never is closer than 10cm from the glass.

In the beginning weeks I had a 50w floodlight inside the speaker, and that scorched her pretty bad… :confounded: Have no photos of that as the camera i used back then broke, memory card and all. Had a lot of good new photos of the construction of this speaker as well, they also went up in smoke…

I also overwatered a lot and overfed and underfed, I don’t even know. This grow I am not very proud of, I must say… :confused: :smile: …but I’m glad Miss Foxtail survived at all. Temps were basically good in there, but Finola is a completely outdoor bred strain through all these years since 1995, so I think she just got a bit too much of the good indoor stuff… poor thing. :kissing_smiling_eyes: Oh yes, she also split her main stem :laughing: …but recovered quite well after some wiring-up, I think…

6 Likes

Here’s some selected photos of the grow (she’s still in there for a few more days…) :

Temporary starting place for the first 3 weeks while I was still finishing the box… She was selected out of 5 females (11 in total…).

6 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

Ok, that’s it for tonight here in Finland. I’ll update again in a few days…

-Any and all comments, questions and observations are very welcome! :relaxed:

7 Likes

And I thought I had a lot of wires on mine. Looking good. Will be nice to see how that turns out. I would never have thought to look for seeds in the health food store. You are right about them being all over out here. Lots of pollen flying around in the summer from those fields.

3 Likes

Might be worth mentioning that Finola is one of the strains suitable to be grown by farmers in the EU, but they have to use bought seed each time, not the seeds they create.

The reason is (apart from bureaucracy) that the low thc content can not be guaranteed in future generations. This might also affect cbd content I guess.

Where did you find the info on 15% cbd? I had finola tea from a store that was labelled 3,5% cbd or something like that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words… we need it! :smiley: True, the flipside to the greatness of good hemp being grown all over is that pollen flying almost everywhere… In the future filtered greenhouses, of all sizes from mini to mega, for those other grows, but until that is a peaceful reality, yes, this transition time will be difficult for many. But it is difficult for even more like it is now, and for more reasons. And it seems this world needs all-round generic hemp for food and fibre and medicine more than it needs all them thousands different fancy strains with mega-high thc in such amounts they exist now. Besides people can grow them filtered indoors. Not optimal and some folks are understandably angry, but gotta look at it from a wider perspective…

3 Likes

Do you know if it’s the same in Canada, that they have to order all new planting seeds from Finland, or do they have an official planting seed grower, or many of them, over there, working under contract with Finola? Seems a waste of everything to ship it every year so far, plus it would make it better adapted to Canada to breed it there one would think…

Those 3,5-ish % “teas” of Finola are leftover bud scraps from seed-fields. Quality controlled and tested for pahtogens and mold and everything though i’m sure. You need to grow it sinsemilla and with the care you would give to single plants to get the really high %…

Like I mentioned in the introduction that info just suddenly popped up this summer on their website…! :sunglasses:

www.finola.fi/cbd

I’ve now during the past week vaped a few times some really airy mini-“popcorns” from low on the branches (that I picked “early”, not that I really can say I know when is early and when is optimal with this setup and pheno, but…), and would say that roughly, for me, vaping up around 0,1-0,2g is in effect quite the same as taking a full dripper, or two, of high quality 3-5% fullspectrum cbd oil. So not at all worthless… :innocent:

3 Likes

Thanks, I missed that. I had a finola bagseed going in April and checked all info I could find then. I don’t remember they mentioned THC sampling of the crop. Can’t find the info about growing from yoir own seeds anymore, maybe that became obsolete with the samples.

One of the documents says they won’t ship outside the Euro zone in 2019, so I’m not exactly sure.

2 Likes

I can only speak for Finland, and here they don’t much if at all sample any big fields anymore, just a waste of time as it’s so common nowadays here with Finola fields, they know what it is. And the breeder/founder, Jace, has sure seen to it that they know they did wrong with sampling it too late etc and all the bullshit they (the authorities…) were up to before. And most farmers and activists are aware of it as well, so the situation is more neutral now.

However, it is not really legal what I’ve done here, it is not completely legal to grow your own cbd-bud, Finola or not. (‘completely’ meaning there’s still a certain difference between growing a hemp-plant with close to zero thc, and a regular cannabis plant. But a few plants, thc or not, is just a smallish fine anyway, it’s more the criminal record that is a problem for many with studies and work, still…) But, we just passed a citizen’s initiative for decriminalizing (including growing 4 plants at home…) cannabis here, and NOW people, including all the media, are talking so that is GREAT! And they will have to discuss it thoroughly in parliament etc as well as a result of this. Some high-up politicians are in clear favour and have even spoke out in honesty about it, so it’s all quite the circus here right now. Loving it! :innocent: Silence is the poison… :no_mouth:

3 Likes

So, she entered her two full days of darkness now, don’t expect crystals to form that much more but why not. So here are the “last” pics of her, a bit more clear and sharp as I shut off the LED and used the camera’s light instead.

3 Likes

…and THIS 1 ! :sweat_smile: Quite crystal covered it is even though it’s very pale and all the way down there in the shadows… :relaxed:

…btw, all the light brownish leaves and buds are not mouldy, just dry/“dead”. And some places she turned a bit purple which Finola can do, even much more so than here.

4 Likes

Hi,I Just registered into this site since I started growing Finola here in Italy.I Just wanted to know if I am doing the job Just fine.
I transplanted 6 seedlings(I have to cut the males later) 7 days old in 2 12,5 liter pots,soil pH 6.0,watering with 6,5 pH water,indoor at night outdoor at night.I grave them a Little coffee ground into soil and sprayed a bit diluted mix of water and coffee grounds.It seems they are stuck from days not growing in height but new leaves are starting to appear with a slight purpleish colour…Some advice?Plants are about 15 days old…

1 Like