(incomplete) Holy Crack Preservation

…and without further ado…

IT HAS BEGUN!

The 10 Holy Crack seeds have been added to distilled water!

Hold on to your hats Ladies and Gents! Here we go!

53 Likes

I have added a small amount of H202 to help out a bit.

@DougDawson I really liked the seedlings in paper towel hung in a zip lock bag to get the roots to straighten out that you did!!! Did you hang them in a warm dark place?

13 Likes

They were hung from the top pole of my empty 2x2 tent.

5 Likes

Thanks! Gonna try it out!

3 Likes

Yeah, it will be my go to method from now on. I was really happy with the straighter tap roots compared to doing on a plate as I always have. It’s always a pain getting a seedling that cork screws or turns and ends up looking like a crow bar making them difficult to plant.

7 Likes

My thoughts exactly, I remember seeing you do it and was excited to try it… its more natural for the seed too… it can only be better for the process and makes planting a cinch :raised_hands::ok_hand::ok_hand:

9 Likes

Absolutely. Allows them to grow naturally downward as nature programmed them to. Good luck, I plan on starting some seeds next week with this method myself :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I don’t know how I missed seeing this up to now! Watching with interest!

2 Likes

“I don’t know how I missed seeing this up to now! Watching with interest!”

ME Too! WoW! Thanks @Jinglepot and @VAhomegrown , this is gonna be a great show! Best wishes for your continued success! :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

After a 48 hr soak the Holy Crack are in their paper towel, in a zip lock baggie, hanging in a dark closet at room temperature.
Only saw one that had popped. 50% sinkers/floaters in the soak.

47 Likes

Might be worth cracking them if you don’t see more tails soon.

3 Likes

I’ll check em tonight

5 Likes

Hoping they crack for you.

5 Likes

Tonight, any that haven’t popped will get a gentle “crack” to help them along. Crack the Holy Crack, so to say. :rofl: Holy, I Crack myself up sometimes :joy::joy:

18 Likes

I tried that once on a stubborn seed and it turned to mush inside😕

2 Likes

Good luck with your germination @Jinglepot :green_heart::+1:

2 Likes

Those bud shots make my mouth water :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Gotta be ginger when you do it! I have done it lots

13 Likes

I forgot to take pics… I was concentrating, lol.

I pulled the seeds out one by one and all but 2 were cracked open. So I gently popped the 2 open. I think this is a more LITFA situation… 2 tails were sprouted for sure and it looks like more are on the way. Just slow starters. :+1:

Will update as necessary. 2 more work days then 2 weeks off. :metal:

18 Likes

@Jinglepot sounds like things are going well.

If a few started cracking, that usually means the rest are following just behind them.

I don’t use the paper towel method, but I have often had seeds take up to 5 days to sprout. Occasionally some landrace lines have taken up to 10 days and still sprouted healthy seedlings.

Most of the time my seeds germ and pop a tap root shortly after 48 hours.

for comparison, this is how I start seeds.

I soak my seeds in tap water for up to 72 hours for hybrids. Landraces get a short 12 to 24 hour soak.

I plant them shallowly but securely in soil. I leave the dimpled side of the seed visible at the surface with the soil tamped in around the seed so it has good surface contact, and is protected from drying out.

Slow starters, old seeds, and some landraces are sensitive to drowning. This is why I do a relatively short seed soak and leave the dimpled end of the seed exposed at the surface when I plant them. It’s important for weak seeds to have good aeration without drying out.

12 Likes