(incomplete) Holy Crack Preservation

Wet and aerated seems to be the common denominator for all things root related. Good to know about the shorter soak for older seeds and landraces.

11 Likes

I couldn’t wait… had to have a peek. Tails!!! Lol

40 Likes

That right there is why I do the paper towel method :joy:. So much easier to sneak a peek without digging up the seed!
I do realize I just checked 30 minutes ago!

7 Likes

9 of 10 tails!

33 Likes

Apon further inspection… we are 10/10!!
I’ll put these into dirt as soon as I’m home from work, in about 14-15hrs!!

43 Likes

Happy to see all the crack have cracked!
Keep up the great work @Jinglepot

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m relieved that they all cracked. Messing with someone else’s gear, or something you’ve been searching for or something that has meaning really adds the pressure :sweat_smile:

They have all gone to dirt! The 2 runts were planted last, on the ends. They went to dirt well. I made a seedling feed of GH 5 part with some AN B52 and a touch of Canna’s Rhyzotonic, then I diluted it by half for the soil soak before I planted them.

They are in my Mars Hydro tent for now and once established and I start running out of room I will move them to their own 4X4 tent with a 600w MH that will get switched out for an HPS when I flip to flower

42 Likes

Very cool, I see the vertical germination worked out well for you, congrats.

7 Likes

I will never germinate any other way again… I loved everything about it. I wasn’t worried about breaking coiled tap roots. Checking and inspecting them was easier than ever!

8 Likes

Hell yea! Those taproots are looking good! Shit man, I was 100% prepared to send you another pack! We were gonna make this happen one way or another lol. I was kind of stressing about whether or not they would pop too. I picked up like 7 packs of these lol. Def makes me feel better about the ones I have left being viable. Can’t wait to see how these progress!

14 Likes

So good! A little well water and a dash of 3% peroxide seems to soften up the older seeds I have well enough :metal::metal: Thanks again @VAhomegrown for donating these to the community :+1: :grinning:

15 Likes

24 hrs later!!
8 of 10 have broken ground! :facepunch:

47 Likes

Awesome start, sitting back got the popcorn popping, let’s get this grow show started… :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

What soil are you using ? Any additives?

2 Likes

Wow mate another run! This one sounds really cool, like you say it sounds like the perfect morning smoke! Rock on brother :facepunch:

1 Like

Alright! Final count… 9/10 have broken ground. I didn’t a little excavating and the last one, alas, didn’t make it. But I can live with 9/10 every day of the week! So onward! I helped knock off seed casings and they are all free of any natural hindrances, only I can do the damage now :laughing::laughing::laughing:

All we have to do us feed and hope for a good male female ratio! :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: come on nature!!

35 Likes

I usually use Promix HP for all my grows, no additives except for my liquid feed schedules. But these guys got Sunshine #4 Aggregate Plus medium, no additives. I’m pre soaked the medium with a 1/8 strength General Hydroponics 5 part and Canna’s Rhyzotonic and Advanced Nutrients B52

13 Likes

Happy little crack heads :crazy_face: :laughing:

45 Likes

Great work bruh.
If I might suggest something here.
I use clear solo cups and cut a few holes in the bottom for drainage. Them I put the clear cup inside a colored cup.
The idea is that the colored cup catches any runoff, reducing the chance of overwatering. Plus you can remove the colored cup to monitor root development thru the clear.
This way, when the roots reach the bottom of the clear, I know it’s time to up pot.
Just my method.
Yours seems to work well tho. Hats of to you man!

4 Likes

I was trying that with some solocup challenge grows I started. These cups have a ton of holes drilled in the bottom. They just drain to waste in the plant tray they are all in. I found the cup in cup method for me led to overwatering and my roots getting waterlogged. Maybe that’s just because I didn’t check often enough with my work schedule. But with these guys I just periodically pick them up amd check the bottom. As soon as i see a few roots poking through the holes it’s time for a transplant.

I do the cup in cup method for my autos, but the inner cup is cut out lots and I plant the whole cup.
8f3e90229d7cdf7551905b1e58216cf0c776fefa_2_375x500.jpeg f5691dc4421dd215606f6bfd026648d34e2cffec_2_375x500.jpeg c4bac222105bba99553b26f6f698d0a2e6a10789_2_666x500.jpeg

35 Likes