Inked skin anyone?

All my tats are initially ca.1967/68. Read on to find out why I say initially.

That’s hand poked by your truly. Don’t know if you can read it. It says “FUCK.” I would have liked to have had room for “YOU” too, but, as they say, Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. The six Ps. (Look for a replay later!) Like everyone, I don’t know who exactly “they” are, but I personally have found them to be generally correct. It was far darker and more distinct initially. It’s been whited out literally ten times by pros over the years. An uncle of mine nearly choked on his cabbage borscht when he saw it in 1969. I taught myself to be more careful thereafter. Now I couldn’t give half a shit who sees it. BTW, that’s my saluting hand. I was never in the military.

My two others were done by Doc Forbes in Vancouver, B.C., Canada. His shop was at East Hastings and Davie Streets. Not the most upscale of areas then, but exciting as shit for a neer-do-well middle class kid like me. There were several other parlors very close by. I don’t remember why I decided on Doc, but what I do remember is there was a framed B&W photo, probably 8X10, of his wife’s spread thighs displayed in a couldn’t miss it spot in his shop. Her thighs read “Doc’s Box.” I couldn’t believe it! (Just reportin’ the facts. Don’t want to offend anybody.) I found this picture of him online -

The two Doc did for me are an ankh (my first pro tat), and roses. I had drawn the ankh and he made into the stencil as I sat there. The second is a pair of “Dead” roses as I like to describe them. I wanted a rose bush growing up my leg, dirt and roots at the ankle, then leaves and buds wrapping around my leg as it went up and finally a couple of roses on my upper thigh. I want to say, but am not certain, he estimated it would be around $150, maybe a little more. Far too expensive for me. As I recall, the ankh cost me $10. It was so much because he had to custom cut the stencil. Otherwise it would have been $7! The roses were $18. I showed him the ankh when I want back in for the roses several months later and he totally remembered doing it and the circumstances, that it was simple but one of a kind, at least from his pen. When he finished the roses, he cut up the stencil. He told me the stencil was brand new, no one else had that particular tat, and since I had one unique tat of his, he wanted to make it two. I’ll never forget that little gesture of generosity towards a dim kid. d8JBdDJ

I had simply drawn the outline, and not quite symmetrically at that. This was at a time when I was beginning my 3 year journey/addiction with/to meth (needles only, thank you very much!). I’m sure I was pretty shaky when I drew it! HA! Doc added the shading. It used to be that you could see each individual line of that shading. That subtlety was long gone 20 years later.

The roses are pretty faded coming on 60 years later even I’ve had them recolored 3 times. The last time was probably 30 years ago. What can I say? Epidermal cells die. :rofl:

I know at least one person in this thread has commented on how difficult it can be to take a selfie of a specific body part. (Minds out of the gutter, guys.) I couldn’t believe just what a PITA it was to take these. The wife is out or I’d have her do it.

10 Likes