Is a squished nug decarbed?

Can I just extract into ethanol and have an active extract? I’m using a conair cs19vcsr hair straightener on its lowest setting… 1. Don’t have an accurate enough thermo to tell its temp. Squishing for maybe 1 minute total.

3 Likes

Not very likely, it takes about 40 minutes at 240°F to decarb, it takes longer the lower the temperature. The rosin I had tested showed very little was decarbed when pressed at 200°F for 4 minutes.

15 Likes

Perfect answer. All the thank yous

2 Likes

Ethanol is alcohol. That is its own extraction no press needed. Thats for washing. Qwiso qwet etc. A hair straightener is to press rosin ( zero chemicals). Decarb is a process for edibles. And usually done in oven on low temp for hours. Unless you plan to make edible you do not need to decarb as far as i know.

Just made everclear extract yesterday. Probably all purged n rock hard today.

So I want to get that last bit of cannabinoids out of it after I squish. Waste not want not. I can see a layer of rosin on the outside of the squished stuff, which leads me to believe that there is a decent amount left. I was thinking if its decarbed after squishing that I could make a sublingual pretty easy using ethanol. Instead I’ll just mix it half with my sugar trim for making my coconut oil.

My normal edible process is a quart of coconut oil (I think the jar i get is actually 39 or 40 oz, so 1.25quarts) to 2 oz of sugar trim. 12 hours in the crock pot on low, strain through strainer, then squeeze the trim in cheese cloth (careful it is really fucking hot, I have some insulated silicon BBQ gloves I use) then back into the crock on low for about an hour with a quart of hot water ( it helps remove remaining solids and polar molecules like chlorophyl, basically your doing a high temp PNP wash). Then final strain through a coffee filter. Chill the remaining water to get the last bit of oil off of it, like making ghee. You can do the water wash a few times to refine it more before you coffee filter, but really once is enough IMO. It just removes more chlorophyll, but I personally like ingesting some.

For a lower grade oil you can take the trim that you squeezed out and put it in hot water, more oil will come out, but its really bitter and not as strong. I tried doing it with a few strains and got the same result. I just get rid of my trim now, after squeezing. But if your really trying to stretch and get everything it can be done.

Makes a beautiful light green, nicely potent oil that I put into vegan size 00 capsules using a ptfe pipette. Takes a long time to fill capsules but I put them into jars in the freezer and they last forever. 2 for a light buzz, 4 for a strong buzz and 6 to knock myself out lol. Or you can use the oil in your cooking.

2 Likes