Is Breeding Still a lucrative trade?

If it’s anything Ioke breeding geese hell no lol.
Someone a lot of folks know told me another seed bank lots of folks know only paid him
.14 cents per seed and sold them for 35 Euros
In the 2010 ish time frame and from what I understand that was low but most others were almost as Bad.

You know the difference between communism and capitalism? Communism is a system where man exploits man, with capitalism it’s the other way around.

10 Likes

Yes breeding is a very lucrative trade but best when diversified most who have a following check all the new bs boxes but have their stable of studs that reek havoc for those who know scoop up every drop. I would avoid cheap swag and let products sell themselves to maintain a reputation but cookies jungle boys etcetera sell more shirts in their stores than seeds so may work an angle too?

Hm
I do the same, i just began to be honest with it.

It is work, hard word.
But it doesnt feel like work for me, but i know it is.

i just can describe it with… Passion and love to the plant.
Beeing excited like a little child to find something i like, then find a male i like and plan in my head what could be good togheter? Will i get this trait and that trait.
Will my Tangie x Ghost Train Haze x Headbanger beeing a bit Tangerine / Gassy and a biiiit of haze at the backend, or not?
Both were killer plans to be honest, cannot wait to throw the offspring in the dirt, but have to wait few months.

Thats just for me. Finding good stuf, breed it togheter, make from this F1 an F2, then F3… till the IBL is done and u icolatet these traits ur searched for… and then smack 2 IBL’s togheter to get an Monster F1 plant that will be better then both of her parents.

Like playing god, i fucking love this stuff.
And u cannot be happy and lucky if u will get what u want everytime, u need luck as well ill guess

10 Likes

And i feel like if u give few beans away, get later picks and guy or a girl is happy as hell, sharing pictures… i mean that must be a wonderful feeling.

I hope i will get these, i have already started to send stuff out.

If u get something so special, i think u will notice it, and then u can charge a little bit for it? I mean if the customer is happy, like 1 euro per Seed is not a big deal, but not like 100 for a pack, thats not cool.

5 Likes

@cYx hey, you are like me!

It’s so fun, thinking about the kaleidoscope of infinite possibilities, and which ones can be better or fun

5 Likes

For a small scale breeder (call me chucker if you like i think it’s a bullshit distinction made by people who often don’t know wtf they are talking about :slight_smile: )
i think most get into it initially to make seeds for themselves and back up their genetics in seed form - or at least that’s why i did it. Selling seeds helps justify the costs time and sometimes hard, always consistent, work that it demands. I have a family etc and it helps that it’s not just all for fun !
At my level it is no more than a side-hustle… but a very pleasing and rewarding one.
To call it lucrative would be a stretch !

15 Likes

I think you have to understand the game that you are playing in and who you are serving. That the consumer has a changing taste buds also makes it all the more interesting

As an example, Imagine me as a commercial grower/farmer who supplies flower product to a market, I’d love a single bulk batch of seeds to be as close as possible in uniformity for traits I desire and the market desires so that I don’t have to deal with cloning

Which means a breeder has to do the work to create an IBL that’s predictable in desired traits for me as farmer and for consumer.

My market also wants me to have between 5 and 20 different strains, in bulk, else I get left behind to flavor of the month.

In this instance, I don’t have time to breed but to focus on growing which means someone else better be breeding, in this instance you.

Preferably the seeds should be feminised to minimise the time and cost associated with regular seeds. Which means there’s that additional breeding work to be done.

I think the breeder and farmer would need to come to some royalty type agreement so that it can be financially beneficial to both parties in the long run, as both put in a lot of work.

3 Likes

That’s when people buy clones in bulk

2 Likes

I appreciate every ones perspective, it got me thinking about a lot of different things. I just want to make one thing clear, I don’t mean disrespect to anyone when it comes to “pollen chuckers” - pretty much we’re all pollen chuckers, I’m talking more of a breeder who takes the time and work to stabilize the strains he creates and works the lines further for uniformity

3 Likes

It helps if you’ve been in the game for a really long time and have a rare collection. But the new guys rely on fancy packaging with colorful designs and well known modern hybrids hybridized again and again with each other. If you find a niche for your brand and can attract customers who are willing to pay money for your seeds it’s definitely possible

8 Likes

Any market can be lucrative, no matter how saturated it is. But it will not be lucrative to everyone, only a selected few who understand who their target audience is. That’s everything when it comes to be lucrative. You also have to select a audience that can be lucrative.
I mean, trying to sell food to dumpster divers will not be lucrative, but selling food to people who are interested in cooking is.

So if you want to join the seed game, take a look what the selected audience want to grow and get an idea how you would fit into their demand.

Majority of growers have never heard of CSI Humboldt and Bodhi. They are niche breeders for a specific type of grower.

Personally I believe that if you don’t have capital to invest into marketing, the only way to do it is to try to grow organically. It’s harder to succeed at, but if you succeed. You’ll have a more stable foundation for your company and you won’t have to rely on marketing to sell.

Many of the breeders on the forums are organic and other people where genuinely interested.

BTW I would stay away from giving out free seeds to start off. You give no incentive to purchase your seeds and the majority of seeds will be collected and stored, not grown. Ask friends to help you grow out your seeds and publish the results on different sites. Use seeds from other breeders in the same niche as you, thus giving yourself a stamp that you use legitimate genetics that your customers already have shown interest in.

There is so much that goes into being a successful businessman and I could talk about it for hours.

Pz :v:t2:

10 Likes

All the kids want artwork and expensive packaging. It’s more important than what’s inside. It’s the result of our just for looks culture!
Not picking on anyone just an example of what I’m talking about.

5 Likes

Locality stuff is always a plus too, if there are any famous clones in ur area u can get for use that could possibly help u out as well

For example I live in Kentucky, the only famous clone here I know of is the old roadkill skunk cut some people think is extinct but you’ll only see it if you know the right people. If someone were to get a cut of it and make seeds they could theoretically become one of the top dogs fast.

1 Like

Most ‘breeders’ are pollen chuckers truth be known, just feminizing an elite cut and putting it over another one is kinda what most of them seem to be doing. IMO that’s not really breeding with a goal, it’s just mixing two good plants and hoping for the best.

Starting with a clean slate by defining the traits of interest you are looking to have in your new varieties, finding plants that have one or some of those traits and then working up and stabilizing a brand new variety is where to work is.
An IBL is 12 generations of inbreeding before it’s reliably stable, hardy anyone does this, partly because it’s not commercially viable and partly because the market seems to tolerate a whole lot of randomness. To some weirdos the variation in a $100 pack of seeds is good thing as they can then ‘pheno hunt’, Well that should have been the breeders job.

The problem is that the commercial market is driven by marketing and hype, so you might put in heaps of work, and even produce outstanding varieties, but if the market is looking for cookies/gelato etc, then you are a bit of a slave to what you can sell unfortunately. It’s kinda like the way movie and game companies mostly make franchise content, as the commercial risk in introducing something new and unknown is far higher than just leaning on something that is already successful. If I ever get to the point of making seeds for money then my focus would be probably mostly large hybrids for outdoors, but I know that is a much smaller market than indoors, and I have my doubts that it would be worthwhile commercially.
I hope that you find a way to make it work. My only real advice would be learn the ins and outs of digital marketing.

14 Likes

This kind of customer is reliable generally and don’t buy for the freebies if you see what i mean. But it’s a totally different relationship that managing a pack of zappers with “drops” ^^ It’s worthwhile, but the curve is far more progressive as the networking is too. Just to say that it’s not so the niche it look like ^^

7 Likes

Expensive packaging is right… About a year ago I wanted a logo made, just for that the guy asked me for either $500 or $600, now to me that’s insane.

2 Likes

500-600 for a logo is small potatoes if you’re talking about someone who’s actually doing it professionally and with good merit.

As a hobbist starting off, take a look at fiverr or upwork instead. You’ll find good people with less harsh prices there.

Pz :v:t2:

8 Likes

These days can just ask ChatGPT to design it. May need some touch-ups in paint or photshop.

4 Likes

Would depend a lot on who you ask

Some are overly qualified

Some are just scammers trying to rip n run

1 Like