Is Breeding Still a lucrative trade?

The goal of feminizing/making S1s from an elite cut is to try and get that clone in seed form so that people without access to elites get the chance to grow something close to it.(obviously the success of that depends on the clone used )… and whilst that may not be worthwhile in your eyes, it is what a lot of people want… in fact it is exactly what i wanted (amongst other things) before i got access to some elites myself !
The same with crossing an elite to another elite… you are taking two plants that you love, of proven phenotype value, and seeing what they make when they are hybridized. I crossed pre98 Bubba Kush to Chem D because i wanted to explore the progeny from combining two valuable, proven genepools. (and also make fem backcrosses both to bubba and Chem and S1s of the F1 to REALLY explore)
No-one knows what will happen when they cross two plants together so i would say anyone doing that is to a large extent ‘hoping for the best’ or hoping to create something new and worthwhile.
I understand why that may not be what everyone wants… but it IS what some people want, including me.
Breeding isn’t just about ‘work’, it is also about the decisions you make.
VG

10 Likes

While this is true, i would argue there are some people who get lazy about it as I mentioned above.

I am a fan of Caleb, but if he kept making the same hybrids for the next 20 year I wouldn’t be a fan of that.

5 Likes

In any profession, there will be people who are lazy about it… agreed.

A lot of people seem to think that the only 'right ’ way to go about something is the way they go about it themselves…
I have very little interest in many of the breeding projects i read about, but i wouldn’t claim they are pointless or lazy or ‘chucking’ just because it didn’t interest me personally.
VG

6 Likes

I think there will always be demand for niche things. Like, actual breeding, which seems pretty niche in today’s seed market. lol. Working landraces, rare cannabinoids, adjusting strains to certain climates or growing conditions, stabilizing fancy mutations and a lot of other things I can’t think of within the first minute. However I don’t think there’s a lot of money to be made, and it’s a lot of work. Like years per line, eg. creating IBLs, before you even have something to sell.

The money is probably in fast pollen chucks, little work, big advertisement budget, building a “brand”. Things I find completely uninteresting from both the seller’s and the buyer’s perspective.

Worst case you spend years doing the first and then someone doing the second shows up, takes your work and puts a fancy label on it. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

What were these pretty cool things you found out?

2 Likes

I used an company called brandcrowd, pretty sure its AI. You give a set of wants and they send you hundreds of images to choose from customized to your name. They sent me the image to verify if i wanted the one i selected but it didnt have the water marks like other images i looked at for some reason so i screen shot it lol. Im not planning on starting a business but if i do anything down the road i will download the ownership rights to the image and get the perks from being registered with the company but for now the screen shot works for me because it was free and i am not intending to become a seed seller at all.

3 Likes

Capitalism is not “man helping man”. It is literally man helping himself. Why don’t you ask that guy with the ten million dollar house on the hill how he feels about capitalism. Then go ask the plebs on the streets how they feel about it. It is just an extension of the medieval feudal system which came out of the slave system. Lord/king who looks over vassals who looks over peasants. We do not operate under capitalism though.

Perfect example of this is how the state will bail out large corporations but not even help you with your student loan debt. You become homeless because wages are not increasing but everything else is. The company that got the bail out just increased the take home pay by there CEO by 500% while noone noticed.

The topic though. Anything can be lucrative if you find a niche or a unique aspect. All these copycat cookies companies will fall by the wayside eventually or get bought out and gobbled up by the larger companies. I think it is important for states to enact legislation which will protect small time operators and farmers so they don;t get fucked, like how legacy growers got screwed in California post 2016.

10 Likes

While I understand your point, they do help you with your student loans, my wife is going through the process now to have them forgiven due to her profession.

4 Likes

I used that as an example of the very difficult time that has been had trying to get these debt relief options rolled out. Nearly every option has been shot down and they are just trying whatever they can to offer something. There is not nearly this amount of backlash or difficulty in enacting relief for corporations.

4 Likes

Also think about who has the best lawyers

Big corporate entities

Or

A poor person

2 Likes

People sometimes think criticism of capitalism means criticism of productivity. That isn’t really the case. It’s more a criticism of how organizations that have sufficient capital gain control of the system and use it to funnel more capital to themselves and abuse the system.

5 Likes

Perfect example of this is how Cookies is getting a leg up by not playing by 100% of the rules but having enough capital to say fuck you, call my lawyer! Cookies charges 20$ a seed. They have not much competition.

I go to the farm store and I see aisles of $2 (10-20 pack) seed heirlooms. This is where it is going eventually without enough protections. Legalization and competition will drive the price down unless there is sufficient exclusivity which is nearly impossible without triploidy.

2 Likes

Best part of the movie is when the farmer tells Mark Ruffalo he’s gonna get shit, and marks like well I’m gonna try anyway
Farmers like, and people think us hicks are dumb. Good luck

1 Like

There’s always room for disruptors, niche products, etc.

Overall going to be a losing operation for vast majority of people. If it is a fun thing to do that people enjoy, your odds of making money is just always going to be lower. More and more people do it for the love of the game which perverts the market. Look at the failure rate on bars.

A cool product I’d really like is bonus seeds with bud or hash. 2g of hash rosin with 5 seeds included or something like that.

Another idea is inheritied from sports cards, the ideas of “chase” items - rare and expensive items. You subsidize this with cheap items so everyone can participate. You could have little sealed pucks in boxes, and those little boxes in cases. Store buys a case, person buys a box. Open a box and you could get cheap mass produced AFG landrace or super luxe cutting edge exotic fem seeds. The specifics could be anything, but I think that idea has legs.

A regular person selling regular seeds thru a seedbank is a super super tough proposition. The market isnt that large, there are a ton of legacy players, “strong headwinds” in business speak. The market is super finicky; hobbyists either give up early or want to run custom stuff from other hobbyists or run their own stuff. Commercial you either wanna just run cuts or do your own breeding program.

Great potential for side hustles but this is a classic “dont quit your day job” situation in my opinion.

5 Likes

Whilst that may be true, those people probably don’t measure their success purely on profits… there are other rewards for the enthusiast that money really can’t buy… but selling seeds makes it more sustainable and helps pay costs and justify the time spent. i do make profit but it’s not huge profit.
The buzz of seeing someone successfully grow out something online that you have made or created is something that i doubt will ever get old for me :slight_smile:
VG

9 Likes

Meh, I don’t have a dog in this race. If someone does something that has a willing market then it’s obviously worthwhile. It’s the free market right? I don’t particularly agree with the ‘democratization’ argument given it’s mostly about profit rather than any benevolent motive. It’s a cute idea, just not how commerce operates, including the seed/weed market.
Thing is that anyone can cross two cuts they bought, they may be head over heels in love with them, I think that’s great, peeps should knock themselves out, everyone should make seeds, but that’s what it is, replication less than breeding. It requires little skill right?

I don’t understand, why would you select a plant to use in a variety when you don’t know what it will contribute? That’s just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. If you know your plants, then you know what they will contribute, isn’t that why you choose them in a cross?

There are many companies that are making money seeds that are basically photoshopping someone else’s work and claiming it as their own. It’s meeting a market and so that’s capitalism, winners are grinners etc. but pretty much anyone can do it, it isn’t rocket science.

They are not mutually exclusive, work inevitably involves decisions. Selection is all about decisions. I don’t understand the logic here?

4 Likes

Mmmm,

If you were breeding humans (touchy topic, just a hypo!) And picked two

Would you expect predictable outcomes?

Parents don’t even know what babies they will have

1 Like

Only way to know is to see the progeny

1 Like

I started growing
to save my hard earned $$
From going to the big corporate suits
As well
To have some quality organic on hand…

The (idea) of MAKING money off of seeeds is fun;
But;
Wouldn’t count on it :laughing:
already saving $ as it is

5 Likes

Maybe focus on Potency, Taste, Smell instead of everything else ?
Silly goofy flappy looking plants that have cup winning buds growing on them
I’ll pay for that :stuck_out_tongue:
But it will take time…