Is seed sex determination set?

Hey, thanks for the info that was great!

2 Likes

If you read the report, they found no potential issue within a 1000x dosage of any amount found on fruits.

Sounds like they basically fed rats large amounts of the pure substance.

I wouldn’t sweat it, smoked or otherwise. No good reason to smoke a reversed plant anyway.

3 Likes

God damn you vernal if that’s a scientific study it’s going to be big trouble!

2 Likes

It might get graded depending on who’s sensitivities it offends.

Remains to be seen.

In the interim, I might drink a regular domestic beer or 7 and eat food potentially containing GMO organisms lol.

3 Likes

Pretty sure it is determined at a genetic level. since you can send a smear of a leaf to a lab and get back sex among other traits is only like 15$ per plant in my area.

2 Likes

Great thread.

I’m going To ask something that may have been explained above.

How are seeds deemed feminizeD?
And what kind of Guarentee is attributed to feminized seeds?

How are seeds deemed viable?

Edit

Google helps a lot. But I like you guys and gals a lot more :slight_smile:

Do feminized seeds cause more likelyhood for
herming?

I just planted My first ever two seeds , feminized.

I think as a teenager I germed a few , but I dont remember to well lol

Edit.
I’ll read this posty sticky from joe too

3 Likes

oh i can do this.so plants build their organs as they need them. If you manipulate (read Block) hormones in the plant you can force a plant to display intersex/opposite sex traits. A female can produce pollen under these conditions because genetically speaking they have the dna to form pollen but they have no y chromosome. And that might be confusing but think of it this way. Men have nipples and if you give them drugs they can produce milk. Brest development in humans is coded into every human but under hormonal control. Pollen production is the same in plants, So now we have a bunch of pollen with no Y chromosome because the plant it came from didn’t have one. If you make seeds with that pollen they should be all female. That said internal hormonal controls can also go in weird directions and it can be possible to have a very male presenting plant if for example the ethane receptors mutate or disordered. Similar condition exist in people as well.

7 Likes

Thank you!!

Y So, a female plant, tricked into throwing pollen, bred with another female plant , producing seeds. = feminized seeds?

Lol
Sorry I’m not so smart right now, I’m about to go to bed.

1000 likes and loves and thank yous!

I will re-read tomorrow !

Warmest regards

3 Likes

yes basically.

1 Like

I thought someone would eventually post this, when I first seen the thread. I’ve tried it before after a local grower I know told me about it and said he had great success. Surprisingly, I did get 9/10 females the one time I tried it. Using a scope really helped in seeing the depression up close and the volcano lip surrounding it. Good for taking photos to compare and review after too.

Anyone else ever try this?

2 Likes

I’m doing a sexing study I can easily use to falsify it.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t environmental effects on sexual expression only applies to intersex plants save for hormonal manipulation via cs/sts. Kinda like when a person takes a hormone boosting/blocking drug.

1 Like

When growing fem seeds, I used to notice that if I grew 2 plants one would be bigger than the other.
Then I notice I’d I grew 8, 4 would be bigger than the other four.
One day I noticed the bigger plant really resembled a male. It was so stocky I called it Amazon. You know like the warrior women.

2 Likes

At least they took the time to reply to me.

3 Likes

lol, oh well cactus said it was ineffective as well. That STS worked better! Called ReTain phytotoxic aka kills your plant.

1 Like

There is another ethylene blocker (1-MCP) as well. This one goes by the name PlantFresh, but is a Chinese company. I requested a sample without using the word cannabis, let’s see how that works out. :rofl:

1 Like

Found this while browsing around on the topic for 1-MCP, thought it may be interest. General action mechanism:

Ethylene Effects and the Benefits of 1-MCP 234-94.pdf (103.0 KB)

2 Likes

Cool! Sounds like this powder releases a gas which binds to the ethylene receptors indefinitely… science is so cool.

Lots of different modes of application. I like the idea of the tablets

3 Likes

I’ve gotten some emails about the 1-MCP. I’m saying I grow flowers, not really a lie, and requesting a sample. I’ll keep everyone posted.

Sorry if I got this tread off track a bit. Back on topic I think sex is pre-determined, but sexual expression can be altered with environment and/or hormones.

8 Likes

This is the best part about asking a question here! I get answers for questions I didn’t know I had. Appreciate the depth and breadth of the conversation friends :blush::ok_hand:

4 Likes