Is seed sex determination set?

wow they have so many products to prevent apple-drop! It would be interesting to test one on reversing. like ReTain I wonder if the cannabis plant would respond the same?

3 Likes

I bet you would need a lot of bananas to trigger flowering. Heheā€¦ Optic Foliar Switch says it releases ethylene to prevent hermaphrodites. The SDS just lists MPK and water though.

But I donā€™t want ethylene, I want an ethylene blocker to make feminized seed. Its used to make all of the apples on a tree ripen at the same time.

Yes Iā€™ve looked into ReTain and even debated calling and asking for a sample to try.

5 Likes

ack! Inquiring mindsā€¦ neeeeed to know :smiley: too bad they donā€™t have the apple drop stuff just laying around in hardware stores. Someone with an orchard probably has something like thatā€¦ hmmmm!

3 Likes

I just sent an inquiry using their website. I did mention cannabis, so they may not even reply. I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t work. We may be onto something here, particularly when talking about acres of cannabis. :grin:

5 Likes

@ReikoX
Wouldnā€™t an ethylene blocker make acres of male plants? Or do I have that backwards.

Is retain an ethylene source/precursor or ethylene blocker?

And wouldnā€™t keeping males from forming pollen by force if them female (via ethylene) be more commercially applicable?

2 Likes

Yep, if you want to make feminized seeds thats what you want. :+1::seedling:

ReTain is an ethylene blocker. The same concept as STS and CS.

Oh copy that. For commercial seed production versus commercial outdoor field sinsemilla flower production.

1 Like

Right, spaying a field with silver is not only expensive, but also bad for the soilā€¦ Iā€™m not sure if you could smoke the buds using ReTain, but you canā€™t with silver.

2 Likes

If you scream ā€œSusan B Anthonyā€ at a plant long enough it will turn female.

6 Likes

You know what? My brain has something to say about that book I read, the cannabis evolution one. After sleeping on it I woke up and it was likeā€¦ agitating about how they make a fantasy story about the ā€œreasonsā€ the thc pathway developed in cannabis from what was a cbd one. They tell you the same tale about herbivores and the taste etc. Hereā€™s the problem: There is no answer to ā€œwhyā€ it happened. The only answer rests with how it happened.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used retain for feminized seed production. Compared to STS, the results were highly unreliable. Some lines would never make male flowers, some would make male flowers but never have pollen release. Retain also elicits a highly phytotoxic response that that stunts growth - Iā€™ve never had that issue with STS. Episode 79 of Cannabis Cultivation and Science podcast they talk about retain. Its registered for this exact purpose for IBL development of gynoecious cucumbers.

8 Likes

MSDS:

Prevention

• Obtain special instructions before use.
  • Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood
  • Do not breathe dust
  • Wear dust mask when handling
  • Wash hands and face thoroughly after handling
  • Do not eat, drink, or smoke when using this product
  • Contaminated work clothing should not be allowed out of the workplace.
  • Wear protective clothing/eye protection/gloves
  • Avoid release to the environment

Iā€™m going to sayā€¦ no

ā€œTrade Secretā€

This is all concerning the handling of the powder and not the handling of fruits that are barren with this.

Itā€™s meant to be put on plants that are being eaten, but smokability is different when it comes to combustion.

everything about those ā€œFirst Aid Measuresā€ kinda scares me away from this product, but then again we arnt smoking the CS or STS plants.

5 Likes

Sure sounds like itā€¦

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the info that was great!

2 Likes

If you read the report, they found no potential issue within a 1000x dosage of any amount found on fruits.

Sounds like they basically fed rats large amounts of the pure substance.

I wouldnā€™t sweat it, smoked or otherwise. No good reason to smoke a reversed plant anyway.

3 Likes

God damn you vernal if thatā€™s a scientific study itā€™s going to be big trouble!

2 Likes

It might get graded depending on whoā€™s sensitivities it offends.

Remains to be seen.

In the interim, I might drink a regular domestic beer or 7 and eat food potentially containing GMO organisms lol.

3 Likes

Pretty sure it is determined at a genetic level. since you can send a smear of a leaf to a lab and get back sex among other traits is only like 15$ per plant in my area.

2 Likes

Great thread.

Iā€™m going To ask something that may have been explained above.

How are seeds deemed feminizeD?
And what kind of Guarentee is attributed to feminized seeds?

How are seeds deemed viable?

Edit

Google helps a lot. But I like you guys and gals a lot more :slight_smile:

Do feminized seeds cause more likelyhood for
herming?

I just planted My first ever two seeds , feminized.

I think as a teenager I germed a few , but I dont remember to well lol

Edit.
Iā€™ll read this posty sticky from joe too

3 Likes

oh i can do this.so plants build their organs as they need them. If you manipulate (read Block) hormones in the plant you can force a plant to display intersex/opposite sex traits. A female can produce pollen under these conditions because genetically speaking they have the dna to form pollen but they have no y chromosome. And that might be confusing but think of it this way. Men have nipples and if you give them drugs they can produce milk. Brest development in humans is coded into every human but under hormonal control. Pollen production is the same in plants, So now we have a bunch of pollen with no Y chromosome because the plant it came from didnā€™t have one. If you make seeds with that pollen they should be all female. That said internal hormonal controls can also go in weird directions and it can be possible to have a very male presenting plant if for example the ethane receptors mutate or disordered. Similar condition exist in people as well.

7 Likes