Determining authenticity of particular strain

Lets say that you bought particular strain, Northern Light 2.

Now you would like to find out authensity of that particular seedlings that you have in your grow room. Like internode lenght, leaf shape, some authentic pictures of that particular strain, flowering stretch, etc.
I know that ther are different phenotypes, but just that you get some picture that you can hold on.

Wher do you guys find that? Is there any particular side, becouse on internet its a lot of missinformation :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks a lot :pray:

9 Likes

Welcome to the world of cannabis lol.

Naw, but fir real, this is why breeders argue over origins all the time.

I would say post up about what you have, share pictures, and a smoke report, and look at at least 3-4 different sites on that particular strain. Then compare and contrast and judge for yourself.

It’s a crapshoot until there’s a genotype databank.

Just my opinion

12 Likes

Even if you can find generalities about a strain unless it’s heavily worked you’re going to get multiple phenos anyway.

Short answer: no.

Best way is to go to the horses mouth, and even then…

12 Likes

You would need to find pics from the seed vendor. This can be a complex, and possibly intractable, task! Multiple vendors might have a strain with the same name, e.g. NL#2, and their pics can be completely different…taller, shorter, lighter green or dark purple based upon the plant they decided to show you a pic of. There are unknown factors you would need to account for… growing styles, and conditions, and – unless it is a highly stabilized line – also genetic variability within the gene pool which can lead to a wide variety of phenotypic expressions.

11 Likes

In other words it’s all BS until you smoke it!

9 Likes

I think it’s mostly just confirmation bias unless it’s a clone only, even then, when ya smoke it, I guarantee everyone will experience varying flavors and even the highs will be different.

11 Likes

I learned from being on OG that some sneaky vendors make a living off of deceptive pictures, and I also learned that some of you OGs are serious detectives.

22 Likes

It comes down to trust really. Who do you trust? How much do you trust how well informed they are?

I use many different sources but I especially like things from OG seed runs because there is documentation to back it up.

They can be very helpful and informative. And if you have Qs, you can just ask the grower. I’m sure they’d be more than happy to give you all the info you want.

16 Likes

I can help you. Were do you live

1 Like

Talk to growers who know that specific strain and have been growing it for years.

3 Likes

Growing is a process of the natural world, not of the cookie cutter world to which we have been accustomed too ( i.e. a Big Mac in Maine is basically the same in Hawaii). The variety of genes available to be turned on, much less in combination with other genes. I see the only real way of determining authenticity of a strain would be a DNA test, after determining what actually constitutes a particular strain. IMHO. Disclaimer-this poster is a self confessed stoner.

3 Likes

It all make sense what you guys are telling me on that topic :upside_down_face: its hard to determent authencity of prticular strain due to phenotypes… it all came down to trust of reliable source and to have trust to yourself of what are you doing :upside_down_face: the best way its by grow reports here on OG exactly whats @Foreigner talked about.

Thanks guys for answers and for your time :pray:

3 Likes

I know it’s a long one and I apologize for the length, but some opinions can’t be summed up in a paragraph or two.
Also, I’ve been wake’n baking for three hours now… it’s my night off, so I started early.

After reading through this thread every comment gives you your answers.
The best answer for the question of how to know if a strain is what it’s really supposed to be was (in my opinion) given by @Foreigner and @herojuana.tom when they mentioned working a strain a few generations until it becomes an IBL strain. IBL = in-bred line. It takes at least 5 generations to be considered an inbred strain. In IBL’s, stability and pheno uniformity are paramount.

Maybe seven years ago I grew a special pheno of Herijuana known as Red Heri F22 and it was exactly as described in appearance, aroma, growth, height, anticipated production, effect and medicinal value.
It’s an incredible red cherry pheno of one of my favorite strains, Herijuana. A “kick your ass” strain from the early 80’s created by Woodhorse seeds and inbred 15 generations by the original breeders.

Any variation of true Herijuana is already an IBL, no matter how many times someone else inbred the line.

This type of outcome is only possible in a truly inbred line that has been worked by the same person(s) growing/breeding the same plant over and over again, for generations and taking notes about the growth of the plant.

**On a side note. Taking notes is very important when breeding and/or working a particular or a new strain. It’s good to have saved information to come back to if any issues arise and it’s the actual “how to” instructions for the next grower of that strain.

IBL’s aside, the grower only has any information the breeder has released, but the best information comes straight from fellow growers of that particular strain.
Mostly due to the majority of growers being transparent. Fellow growers that jot down information and share pictures of them growing a certain strain help other growers grow that strain by reading those comments and studying those pictures, looking for any similarities between the plants in the pics and their plants, no matter how helpful the information is. Read all available information and glean what you need from it to help you in your situation.

OG is one of the best places in the world to find the information you are seeking that directly pertains to your grow or question.
I’m certain that someone here on OG is growing, or has grown, the same strain someone else is growing that may have a few questions they need answered about growing that particular strain.

4 Likes

Thanks for nice explanation on that topic :pray: you are right the best answer on that topic will be a question :dizzy: who has some of the best IBL lines that i could work on? :upside_down_face:

Determining authenticity is very subjective to the year or decade it was bred. The orginal F1 pack of some authentic strains auction in the thousands. Its like skunk. Started off thin leafed before Sam moved to the NL and the seedbanks started making their own verison. Which seems to be much more bushy. For a pure IBL to become this way the selection clearly was aimed at indoor growing. Now you cant find real deal skunky weed. So the genomes are constantly changing one way or another over decades. The best question you can ask your self is what year the best representation of a particular strain as far as quality is concerned.

3 Likes

If you want to get technical, landrace and heirloom strains are IBL’s too.

Some landraces have been selectively bred and kept going by the same peoples/groups for hundreds of years.

In agriculture, it takes approximately a hundred years of selectively breeding and growing the same thing to become a landrace.
It takes 50 years to become an heirloom.

There are more heirloom cultivars, than there are landrace cultivars, these days.

The saddest cannabis strain is the “lost” strain.:slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Akbb, crickets and cicada, sannies

Maybe

1 Like

Nice explanation!

I’ve never had good skunk genetics. I had a couple regular seeds of Sweet Island Skunk and let grow in the corner and flower early. One was female and I smoked it and slapped myself for not keeping the Genetics. It was really sweet smelling with a little skunk. But this little terp machine was the best 20% weed I ever smoked. And tied for the best weed overall. I have some coming, I hope it’s close to what I had before.

2 Likes

I have always used Seedfinder.com to check first. I feel like the info I get on there is about as close to the real truth as I can get. It may have clues in the info before they show you the genealogy of the plant and some times pics and the true breeder.

Then, all of the other stuff you can dig up with Google and older people here on OG, is about as good as you can do. Eventually, you’ll seem to find some consensus and that’s as far as you can get sometimes.

1 Like