Its Harvest time! At what point do you enlist help?

So, I picked this up soon after I started growing just a year ago. Havent used it yet.

Its a decent piece of kit. Better that some of the cheaper bowl-type trimmers.

I grow in a 2x4. Pulled 16+oz, 10+oz so far. DIdnt use the trimmer, but being my first harvests I wanted to go traditional scissor trim. Second harvest just one plant and a bit smaller so did that by hand as well.

At what point do those that have trimmers utilize them? 1 pound harvest? Half pound? 2 pounds!?

Is is more trouble to clean, etc than its worth for a certain amount of dried bud?

Im thinking about using for my upcoming late May or early June harvest.

Also, I love the look of my buds after hand trimming, but obviously dont care for the time it takes. On the other hand, machine trimmed buds always have that trimmed look to them. Also theres the waste that goes along with using a trimmer. I am aware that I can make edibles with all of that “waste”

Would love to hear some views on these trimmers. Not just this type of trimmer, but any type or cost of trimmer.

Oh, I will be wet trimming and loading into Cannatrol for dry/cure.

Thanks guys!

7 Likes

I just turn it all into hash so I don’t have yo trim. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

9 Likes

If you’re growing homegrown I think it should be hand trimmed if keeping for flowers to smoke. I like @ReikoX’s answer best. Many blessings and much love

4 Likes

Sounds awesome! I have no idea how to even begin making hash.

4 Likes

This would be the most beginner friendly way. There are many even cheaper and possibly easier ways on this site.

5 Likes

Adding onto @CocoaCoir’s awesome bubble bags recommendation, here’s an awesome thread with great pictures and step by step details of making solventless hash rosin cartridges. The process starts out by making bubble hash which is further refined into rosin. I’m a visual learner so pictures and such help:

Many blessings and much love

6 Likes

Lots of guys take the tough to trim larf and turn it into hash and just keep the big solid buds.

I do this sometimes. But sometimes I’ll just do the whole plant too.

4 Likes

Here’s another great thread:

Many blessings and much love

7 Likes

I just took a look at that thread of yours. Pretty cool.
Its so weird that Ive been talking about doing something like that for a while. Been wanting to make my own cartridges. I knew in the scheme of things it wasnt too tough.
Gonna try it some time. Maybe 2024 is the year!

I have several grams of keif from both of my grows that I was going to use. I thought that might be a good start.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Take a 5 gallon bucket. Staple thicker chicken wire to the inside of it. Make a lid out of chicken wire. That the trim and keef can fall through into a tub with paper in bottom for keef.

1 Like

If you own bubble bags you already have a perfect 160u kief maker.

2 Likes

I use my spinpro if I have a large harvest. Bowl trim wet. Set aside to dry and once dry give the buds a manicure. I’ve recently started to use a basting brush to do the manicure. Works well. :v:

2 Likes

Sounds cool. Whats a large harvest to you?
And please tell us more about the basting brush? I hope its not similar to the “Spatula Treatment” :rofl:

2 Likes

I trimmed for a straight month after my outdoor grow I did everything with scissors I looked at other options like the bowl trimmer but every thing iv seen about them people where still trimming their buds because the bowls can’t get all the trim off

2 Likes

Google “cannabrush”
Anything that’s gonna take me more than a single day to trim is what I’d class as a large harvest.
Trimming a plant by hand can take me an hour or two. In that time If I use my bowl trimmer a can trim 4x as much.

2 Likes

I’m lazy and my grow is for personal use. Since I don’t care how it looks, I cut off fan leaves an dry vape the rest.

I use the Cannabrush that @ersgood4u recommended for leafy varieties(make sure that shit is DRY or the brush sucks). The “trim” from that usually goes into my one gallon bubble bags for hash. Although I try not do this… cause i’m lazy

My grow is in a 2x4 as well.

4 Likes

Bro that’s the norm with us stoners :rofl:

6 Likes

I got what I refer to as “the DeathFan” which is a table that let’s you trim whole branches easily with a little technique. It’s become my lifesaver when doing my fall harvests for outdoor runs.

I have yet to use it for any indoor grows though as most of that is either hand trim or used for bubble, fresh frozen or rosin. Even for my outdoors I always hand trim the prime colas.

I should also add that I only wet trim. The closest thing to dry trimming I’ll ever do is clip the buds off the stems after drying before curing. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Also be warned if anyone is looking into getting a “DeathFan”. The image I posted above is the one that WORKS VERY WELL from my own personal experience.

There are a bunch out there now with ROUND SLOTS FORMING A CIRCLE instead of the STRAIGHT SLOTS shown above.

I’ve never used the rounded version but I recall other OGers getting those and hating the shit out of it with the rage of 1000 burning suns.

:+1:

4 Likes