ReikoX's Solventless Hash Rosin Cartridges

I’m going to give you all my step-by-step process for making solvent-less hash rosin cartridges. These cartridges are made using a three step process. The first step is washing the bud to make hash. The next step is to press the hash into rosin. The final step is to decarb the rosin so it can be added to a cartridge.

Step 1: Making hash

To make the ice water hash I use a small washing machine, an Igloo water cooler, a pump sprayer, a bucket, and a set of bubble bags. I have modified my washer to have some insulation around it and replaced the corrugated hose with a smooth hose that has a ball valve on the end. I will also use some clean towels, 25 micron drying screens, a spoon, a metal sieve, and some parchment paper lined trays. I keep the spoon, sieve, and trays in the freezer when not in use to keep them cold.

First I fill the water cooler with ice, and top it off with RO water. I then do the same thing with the pump sprayer. While waiting for the water in the cooler to get cold, I add the bags to the bucket. I first place the 45 micron bag in the bucket, then the 160 micron bag, and finally the 220 micron bag.

I like to make whole plant fresh frozen ice water hash. When I harvest, I remove any leaves without trichomes on them. I then buck the buds from the stems and put it in the freezer to be made into hash later. If a variety is particularly greasy and difficult to wash, I will dry it for 3-4 days before freezing it. You can also make ice water hash with dried buds, but I prefer the flavor of fresh frozen.

Next I like to fill the washer with a layer of ice, a layer of buds, a layer of ice, etc. until the washer is full. Which usually takes around 1000 grams of fresh frozen buds or 250 grams of dried buds. Add ice cold water from the water cooler to the fill line in the washer and let the buds soak in the ice water for a good 20-30 minutes, longer if you are using dried buds.

After the buds have soaked, I run the washer. I usually run the washer for six minutes the first run, 12 minutes the second, and 20 minutes for the remaining washes. I usually don’t wash more than four times as yield and quality drop. After the wash, I dump the contents of the washer into the bucket with the bags setup as previously described. I then fill the washer back up with ice cold water from the water cooler, topping off the water cooler with ice and water as needed.

Now it’s time to pull the bags. First I pull the 220 micron bag and put what’s in it back in the washer. After that I pull the 160 micron bag and set that aside for “food grade” hash. Finally I pull the 45 micron bag and spray it down real well with the pump sprayer. This pushes out any of the contaminants and anything smaller than 45 microns through the bag.

After rinsing, I like to set my 45 micron bag on a clean dish towel to soak up a little bit of the water. I then scoop it out of the bag with a spoon and place it on a drying screen with a clean dish towel under it. I throw that in the freezer for a few minutes while I rinse the bags and setup the buckets for the next wash.

Finally I take the hash out of the freezer and push it through a sieve onto the parchment lined tray. Working quickly, I like to break off small chunks and work it through the sieve with the spoon. If the sieve seems to get clogged, I give it a good whack with the spoon and everything falls off onto the parchment.

I like to spread the hash out as thin as I can on the parchment so I maximize the surface area, allowing for quicker drying.

Finally the parchment lined trays go into the freezer to dry. I bought a beer froster for this very reason. It stays at a nice cool 24*F, has six shelves, and has a lock. It takes about a week before the hash is dry and ready to be pressed into rosin.
Attachment

108 Likes

Step 2: Making hash rosin

To make the hash rosin I use my 6-ton rosin press with 2.5"x2.5" plates. I will also use some nitrile gloves, rosin bags, parchment paper, and a collection tool. I like the Rosin Evolution 2"x3" bags, they seem to fit my plates perfectly. I also use their 55lb parchment paper.

After the hash has dried in the freezer, I like to push it back through a sieve before filling the rosin bags and pressing the hash.

First I fill a 25 micron bag with about 7-8 grams of hash. Then I fold the top over so it’s roughly square and give it a slight squeeze to press it down. Next I put that in a 160 micron bag and tuck the top in the bag. When placing the 25 micron bag in the 160 micron bag, I like to align the seams with each other.

When pressing hash, I like to do a directional fold. To do this fold, I first take a 6" square piece of parchment and fold it in half. I take the left half and fold it over about 1/3 of the way. Next I place the bag on top of the parchment and mark about 1/4" wider than the bag, and fold it over as well. Finally, I place the bag between the two pieces of paper and cut the end off about 1/8" longer than the bag.

Next I turn on my press and set the temperature to 78C (175F) and let it heat up. Once the plates are heated, I place the folded parchment and bag in between a 6"x12" folded piece of parchment and apply a small amount of pressure just to keep everything in place. I let that heat up for about a minute, then slowly start increasing the pressure as the rosin starts coming out. I continue slowly adding pressure for three minutes until the majority of the rosin comes out. I remove the parchment from the plates and let it cool off.

Finally, after I have pressed all of the rosin, I collect it all into a single glob. Using nitrile gloves, I roll it into a snake then fold it in half on itself and repeat until the whole thing is homogenized. I then weigh it out into 3.5 gram containers and store it in the fridge. If it’s going to be more than about 30 days before I plan to use it, I will vacuum seal it and place it in the freezer for long term storage.

64 Likes

Step 3: Making hash rosin cartridges

To make the hash rosin carts I will use a toaster oven and a small jar. I will also use a glass syringe, and some SPRK ceramic cartridges.

First I put about 10 grams of hash rosin in a sealable jar.

Next I put the jar with the rosin and the lid in the freezer for about an hour to get everything cold. Then I put on the lid and removed it from the freezer. I don’t know if this step is necessary, but it is a tip I picked up when reading about making solvent-less diamonds. The idea is to increase the pressure in the jar.

Then I heat the toaster oven to 150*F and allow the jar to return to room temperature. I place the jar in the toaster oven for 24-48 hours.

About 24 hours later, the rosin has melted, but still has some bubbles forming. It’s not quite ready yet.

About 48 hours later, the rosin is clear and no longer has any bubbles. Now remove it from the toaster oven and allow it to return to room temperature.

Once the rosin has cooled to room temperature, transfer it from the jar to a glass syringe for storage. Pouring the rosin into the syringe works a lot better than trying to suck up the rosin. My Glob Father is a very handy tool for this purpose. Gently heating the glass syringe with a torch can also help get things flowing.

Finally, I use a 14 gauge blunt tip on the syringe to fill the cartridge. Once filled, heat the toaster oven to 100*F and let the cartridges wick for about 30 minutes.

Top off with more rosin as necessary. I like the PCKT SPRK ceramic cartridges, I found I can re-fill them about three times before I need to replace them. When re-filling them, you don’t need to let the cartridges wick.

109 Likes

Curious as to why you use the 45 bag to pull the bubble.

I have no pressing experience but wouldn’t it be slightly more efficient to just use, say, the 90? Like less contaminants to be removed from the pressing process resulting in the same amount of rosin?

Just thinking out loud.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing

I’ve never been a big hash guy but homemade rosin carts do sound nice

9 Likes

Personal preference really, but I like a broad spectrum rosin. I mix all the head sizes and pulls together. It’s obviously a clean product regardless.

I’ve made carts out of the 220-160 before and that also came out alright too. These are just the methods I use.

21 Likes

I didn’t yield enough to do it but next run I’ll be dedicating a light of sour to rosin

sour is supposed to wash really good so excited for that

6 Likes

Thanks so much for putting this together @ReikoX!! I’ve slowly been acquiring similar tools for this specific reason, but never did get around to using any of it. This guide will be what I’m working from now.

I’ve made dried flower rosin and put it into carts before with the same jar tek method. They were OK but lacked flavor and the carts gunked up a bit. Then I used rosin made from dried flower trim hash and those carts got slightly better. Cleaner product but still lacking much flavor.

But I’ve never done fresh frozen hash rosin, and sounds like that’s where it’s at for the terps. Amazing tutorial. And thanks for the rec on the quality carts. That’s a big headache too.

It’s amazing what we’ll go through to get high in a different way!

15 Likes

Great write up, as always dude! I was surprised to see you fill your washer that much, maybe I’ll try filling more next run.

My last batch of fresh frozen came out with amazing flavor and smell, just terrible yield. I’m thinking you’re right in that some “greasy” cultivars may wash better after a few days of drying. Some may just not wash well at all.

I haven’t taken the process all the way to cartridges, but going to try after seeing this. I’ve tried some really tasty rosin cartridges, but they’re pretty pricey for the true hash rosin ones.

10 Likes

Really great info here all in one place. Well done good sir :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

5 Likes

I usually devote 2/3 of my harvest to hash rosin anymore. I usually just dab that. But the carts are handy for on the go.

Yes and those added “terps” help with the viscosity as well. There is definitely more to explore in the terms of mechanically isolated THC and high terpene fractions.

Mind you those were fresh frozen buds, so they took up quite a bit of volume compared to dried buds.

Yeah, it’s not a cheap process even doing it myself. I can see why a cart like these would go for $100+

Thanks, I had all this info scattered about. Spent a few hours gathering it all up. The only thing I didn’t have was a picture of the way I fold the bags.

18 Likes

Simply magnificent! Speechless! As always!!
We can’t get better than this!! Won’t dare ask you though!!
Awesome!! :pray: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hugs:
@ReikoX rocks!! All the way!!

5 Likes

Git-R-Done

And arbitrary non bubble but straight bud pressed rosin carts to add to @ReikoX good work, obviously darker being straight bud pressed.

And i use my instapot and a water bath on the slowcook setting for decarbing instead of a toaster oven like Reiko, though ill comment later on adequate jar choices as ive recently run into issues.

42 Likes

Nice write up it’s handy to have all the info in one place an A to Z for carts.

Stellar thread mate :+1:

:peace_symbol:

6 Likes

Very nice. Have you used these carts yet or is it your first time doing this tech?

4 Likes

ive been sampling them

3 Likes

Love this how-to! Thank you, looking forward to giving this a try

3 Likes

Fantastic writeup as always! This saves quite a bit of trial and error. Thank you!

5 Likes