It's time to grow some bud, come on along for the ride

So I contacted Indoorfarmer regarding the soupy Jack’s Tap formula. They got back to me very quickly and said they have had this issue recently. They gave me the response Jack’s gave them last time.

"JR Peters is concerned about proper storage of the fertilizer products at customer locations. Water soluble fertilizers are very “hydroscopic”, they are designed to absorb water. If the storage area is humid, the product will become soupy. It does not affect the performance of the product in any way, agree it may be a bit messy but there’s no harm.”

They have reached out again to see if they will make this right for me. My basement is at 30% rh, so not what I would call himid. This, to me, really shows more of an issue with the packaging of their products not being sufficient to protect the product from absorbing water. That is a manufacturer issue IMO. The fellow at indoorfarmer also said I’d Jack’s doesn’t come through that he will work something out with me. So in the end, it appears that indoorfarmer has some good customer service. I will let everyone know how it works out.

12 Likes

My miracle grow does this too. With the bag folded closed the contents stay dry but the residue on the spoon is disgustingly wet.

2 Likes

I sealed the bag and folded it under itself. I think this particular package must be damaged, likely a pin hole or something like that somewhere. The clone formula sitting right next to it is dry as a bone.

2 Likes

See I told you to try getting in touch with them to explain your dilemma with their product. I am glad they are going to take care of you as it is in their best interest! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

3 Likes

I use jacks 321 and the calnit absorbs water like a motherfucker, I split it up into smaller jars, but maybe that’s why I’ve been chasing N, might be because I was weighing water?The fert at the bottom of the jar is noticably wet by the time i get to it🤔 and so isthe spoon and scale tray if I forget to clean extra bits on them.

1 Like

@DougDawson There’s nothing actually “wrong” with the fertilizer. You can just take it (it’s the TAP formula, right?) and make a stock solution with it. Don’t throw it out or something though. You can just mix it to E.C., instead of weight.

This isn’t an issue with a particular brand, it’s the fertilizer salts themselves. You will hear or find the same things mentioned over in the megacrop thread as well, and it’ll happen with any fertilizer blends that have the particular salts responsible.
The first thing I did before buying pounds of dry fertilizer was go looking for proper storage options. Seriously, I spent days and weeks deciding, looking both for something for bulk storage, and then something for storage I’ll go in and out of frequently (ie: a smaller quantity).
These different “brands” are all using the same inputs, it’s in the “derived” section on the bag.
Monopotassium phosphate, potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate, magnesium nitrate, magnesium sulfate, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, calcium nitrate, etc.
Liquid fertilizer brands are using the same inputs, they’re just putting a bit of it in water.
I don’t think there’s really any getting around it. Jacks, Masterblend, Miracle Grow, General Hydro, doesn’t matter. If it’s dry, plan for a way to keep it that way. Get containers that will allow you to put a reasonable amount (dictated by your grow size) into an air/water tight container for constant use, and something for the rest or “bulk” of it.
I chose vacuum sealed bags for the bulk. And 64Oz mason jars with silicone gasketed lids for the constant use.

My basement it 30-35% rh. If I drop a tiny ball or two of calcium nitrate (yaraliva) on the scale or table while weighing it, it turns to water in seconds.

I was even asking @lefthandseeds about his storage choices in his thread, just out of curiosity, a couple months ago. Lefthand's Synthetics from Scratch - #270 by Nitt.

PS: @Jetdro Hello, I’m curious about that Jack’s 20-20-20, could you tell me exactly which product it is you’re using (link to the product), please?

Thanks.

7 Likes

@DougDawson in Dollarama near the cleaning supplies section you can find dessicant boxes filled with calcium chloride. They are sold to prevent dampness in drawers and closets. I use these for my pollen tins and used to use them to dehydrate mushrooms. :ok_hand:

Cheap and easy to get in a sea of Dollaramas.

9 Likes

I am aware it’s still good. The problem for me is that Jacks should be providing packaging that is designed to protect their products. At the very least they should put a big warning on the package. Having a product that basically turns to soup, sealed in it’s own packaging, in a 30% RH room for a couple of days is crazy to me. Now I did pick up some food storage containers with gaskets to protect the stuff going forward. I realize it’s not ruined and can still be used by mixing to the correct PPM, it’s just not something a person should have to do IMO. But I will deal with proper storage since Jacks can’t be bothered to package their products in a way that protects them.

Thanks man, I will check it out. :v:

10 Likes

Hey there OG, just fed the plants which I ignored for a day to let the coco dry out a bit. Also did some pruning of some of the ugly stuff. Here they are today.

23 Likes

I agree with that sentiment @DougDawson .

40% is super low compared to what we have here in the summer. So I could expect to open the bag and literally watch it turn to soup in my hands at 95% humidity is what it sounds like. I got big containers of maxi bloom. They come in a plastic sack inside a hard plastic tote. It took over a year for humidity to breach its way in there and clump up the last of the powder.

6 Likes

I agree and that’s why I switched over to the envy fertilizer line

So far no issues

I still buy jacks 10/30/20 but that’s it

2 Likes

Hey there OG, another day, another update. I must say I am still not impressed with what I am seeing in this tent. 2 different Jacks formulas and I am not really seeing any improvement. Still lot’s of yellowing going on. It’s getting a bit frustrating. Well, here they are today :frowning:

21 Likes

Are you just interested in making Jack’s work? Did you run into a problem finding your previous fertilizer? It hurts to see you struggle when you have a tried and true method for yourself.

1 Like

No, I have no problem finding my GH Trio and have lots of it. I really just wanted to try Jacks. I started with the feed chart which just didn’t work. I switched to 20-20-20 for 9 of them but not seeing much improvement. I will continue it hopes of some turning around, it’s just disheartening to see such sad plants as I am not accustomed to it. My other plants are running my tried and true GH feed and they look like this. Oh well, I will keep working at it. Jacks are tried and true nutrients and they do work. Just not having much luck with them so far. Time will tell how it all turns out. At least there are small and in veg so they should be fixable.

22 Likes

I only ask because I know the struggle of trying something new in it just not working out no matter what you try. I ran Jack’s my first grow but I was in pure coco and I fed that very low ppms, about 250 daily. The 321 formula. Came out beautiful. Not sure what your medium is.

5 Likes

It’s around 70/30% to 80/20% Coco/Perlite.

3 Likes

That’s disheartening to hear. As I said I fed them lightly, couldn’t push more in my environment without burning the tips. Now I’m even more convinced you should go back to your tried and true. Seems like chasing your tail.

1 Like

I understand the need to do this. One must venture outside his comfort zone… outside the box…. in order to gain knowledge. Its how we achieve …wisedom.

2 Likes

Nah, I started this journey to learn and I will continue. I am not one to give up on a thing once I start it and this is no different. So far what I have learned is what does not work so this experiment is teaching me things.

19 Likes

I’m thinking potassium and a bit of phosphorus def

Give them a feeding of bloom fertilizer 10/30/20 will correct it

Paps

4 Likes