It's time to look out for Septoria

It’s Septoria time, outdoor gardeners !
Even though I have been spraying sulfur for a while now , a couple Septoria spots have made an appearance on one plant.I have had it before and each year make more controls to keep it at bay. What I have learned.
Septoria almost always shows during and after wet and rainy periods.
Once it gets going , it’s almost impossible to stop, hence all references to treatment always mention pretreatment.
More and nearby native and garden plants create reduced airflow and more chance of Septoria.
It can kill All the leaves on a Cannabis plant including sugar leaves leading to bud rot.
Water splash from uncovered soil will increase chances of it taking hold.

Pictured is the first spots/evidence from my plant of Septoria.

Some short descriptions

![1000006653|533x500]
(upload://kO5MNk9KDRVqv3m9azKkS9hg4EI.jpeg)
One time dealing with Septoria is enough to learn that prevention / ipm is key outdoors!

16 Likes

A generous wettable sulfur spray on those, bottoms and tops of all leaves.

16 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! Prevention is key, especially during wet periods. Reduced airflow and water splash can make it worse.

9 Likes

Make sure to also watch for surrounding plants of any type that may also be infected. Water splash off of surrounding infected plants can be tricky. I had a sunflower last year that towered over a few of my plants and seemed to be the infection point. If anyone finds an effective remediation please speak up. Sulfur did nothing as far as eradicating or even slowing it down. I could see maybe copper working, but just like sulfur I wouldn’t spray it in flower. Which is unfortunately when I see it beginning near the start of stretch.

5 Likes

Prevention is the key, I’ve tried copper fungicide and it helps a bit , maybe. Some plants are more susceptible than others and years ago I’ve seen all leaves get killed on plants with a quickness. Best prevention is to isolate plants from other vegetation by at least 10feet, as well as regular preventive spray during veg and after rainy periods.

5 Likes

Be careful with that Copper Shit it likes to burn leaves even after lights out just a heads up.Between thats stuff and neem i always have the worst touch with burning shit with them.Main reason i stuck to sulpher i use that shit like Siracha Sauce i dump it on everything till pistils start popping then its Dr zymes till i chop down i top dress with a shitton of barley it acts as a bit of a mulch layer and stopped water from splashing all over

5 Likes

This season I’ve used Sulfur with great results ! The copper costs a bit and I had Sulfur available. I spray wettable sulfur and the plants seem to like it.I also spray the ground cover and everything I can get around the area.

5 Likes

Been battling it for almost a month now

6 Likes

If the weather dries and you can keep it out of the tops, it doesn’t affect buds/ fruits. If the Sugar leaves get it bad, it will rot the bud.

3 Likes

Anyone using sulfur on their plants in areas above 85F outside? I’d like to spray my yard and plants down, but was told not to if temps get over 85, so that’s basically year round here. Haha

4 Likes

I spray in full sun and heat. No problemo.This is a 1/8 cup to 1 1/2 gal

12 Likes

afaik you basically just avoid spraying in direct sunlight above certain temps, I don’t think it matters what temp it is if they’re shaded :+1:

1 Like

Your plants will be that much stinkier and not the sulpher smell but the thiols go up when you use sulpher and the plants will smell much stronger.I can smell
Mine over the pool chorine now

2 Likes

I was told to use it in the morning and rinse it off after 15-20 minutes. One or two months of the year I can spray it and not worry. Haha But, FL sun will supposedly burn my plants up if I leave the sulfur on them during the day.

2 Likes

Spray in morning and leave it. Just test a bit.

2 Likes

Do you grow outdoors @Dev-O !

If your outdoor plants are exposed to septoria would any of you bring cuts inside?

3 Likes

Personally. That’s a Hard no.
I’ve given up too much outdoor to the trash because of it to risk bringing it inside in any form.

:v:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bring in any that show spots at least. The tops seem to outgrow it for the most part during a dry spell. I would take unaffected tops after a few days of dry.The risk of Septoria inside is pretty low. Treat them accordingly. And quarantine.

9 Likes

Adding a surfactant to copper spray mix helps to evenly distribute the spray mix on the leaf surface.

Another product that lists Septoria is Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide in case it appears indoors…

Leaf litter under a plant is a breeding ground for the spores.

5 Likes