What is this on my leaf’s?

I have @Heritagefarms Pineapple Platinum f3 growing outdoors. It’s been healthy and okay until these spots recently began appearing.
WTF?

Can anyone help?

3 Likes

Septoria, sorry. Good luck

7 Likes

The good news is… it doesn’t look that bad, yet. I find Septoria fairly hard to avoid altogether depending on that year’s weather conditions (it’s just out there in the environment). You could spray, or remove affected leaves.

It grows on leaves, won’t necessarily affect flowers (though may affect yield depending on how bad it gets).

4 Likes

If your Septoria is just on the lower leaves you stand a good chance of stopping it before it spreads.
Remove all infected leaves and dispose of them, don’t just throw them on the ground somewhere. Disinfect any tools like pruners used.
Spray a fungicide that has chlorothalonil or mancozeb in it or you can use a copper based fungicide.
Good luck!

7 Likes

Whatever you do, don’t use copper nor chems on buds you will eventually smoke! You really shouldn’t smoke nor ingest those ions nor chems.

3 Likes

Bet every dollar I have you won’t bet a single dime on your statement.

You won’t be here long!

6 Likes

Thanks everyone.
Still in veg so I’ll separate the plant and try a spray and defoliation tomorrow.
Septoria, what a pain.

3 Likes

Defoliation is definitely a good idea… more airflow may help.

I would definitely not spray chlorothalonil, it’s listed as a likely human carcinogen. Mancozeb is banned in the EU (as a possible endocrine disruptor and “toxic to reproduction”).

If I were going to spray, I’d probably go with Cease (Bacillus Subtilis), but if you’re still in veg copper or sulfur could work too. The one downside of Cease is the expense, it isn’t cheap.

1 Like

Remove affected leaves and begin a regular spray schedule in veg.

3 Likes

I am specifically selecting for septoria resistance, I have found mass selection the best in the long term as the fungus overwinters in plots, getting worse and worse each year, to the point of complete defoliation by mid summer - unless you plant resistant strains. In last years plot 3 out of 68 were very resistant, sowed seeds from the best one of these, now about 20 out of 70 are resistant, they’re all in about 3m². Will be interesting to see survival numbers next year, I estimate over half to two thirds. Defoliation of most affected leaves is a good strategy for this years grow. Sprays have always affected flavour for me,

3 Likes

Lol you’d be broke son :sob:

4 Likes

Nice of him to try and help the community. Lol

2 Likes

@GreenBhoy

It’s more than likely septoria. As recommended, I’d defoliate carefully and burn those leaves.

But contrary to other recommendations, I wouldn’t spray anything really. Moisture and humidity will make it worse in my experience.

I spray even though I deal with some septoria, but I spray for bugs with an oil based mixture that is also fungicidal. Just know you don’t have to spray unless you have good airflow.

1 Like

I have read where you do not use copper spray.
There are some here that use it. It says do not use on cannabis.
It’s one of the stranger remedies I’ve heard of, but I’ve tried it and it actually does work for me. Baking soda, soap, and water is one of the safer ways to treat plant fungus issues, especially if the affected plants are inside your home.Jun 20, 2023
Copy

1 Like

Home Depot and Lowe’s has some very good products. It seems like he could probably dust it with some kind of powder.
Septoria On Tomato Leaves: Tips For Treating Septoria Leaf Spot

Black Spots on Tomato Leaves: Treating Septoria Leaf Spot

Septoria Leaf Spot of Tomato

[image]

[image]

[image]

Fungicides are very effective for control of Septoria leaf spot and applications are often necessary to supplement the control strategies previously outlined. The fungicides chlorothalonil and mancozeb are labeled for homeowner use.

If your plants are severely afflicted, you have the option to use fungicides. They will not cure leaves that are infected, but they can stop the infection from spreading further. Most of the fungicides that are commonly used on tomatoes will work against Septoria leaf spot.Mar

1 Like

Update: I gave the plant a spray with copper fungicide and stripped off the affected leafs. It’ll be the last one as they’re just about to kick into bud. Apart from yellowing a bit it seems to have prevented it spreading for now.

5 Likes