Jelly's Cab Adventures

Nope, 1x8 pine shelf board painted with a stone texture paint :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bumping this up since I haven’t posted in here lately.

22 Likes

Sexy. How’s the airflow on those darkroom vents?

2 Likes

Honestly, Not good, but not bad either.

I prefered my PVC elbows but the darkroom vents are pretty sleek and don’t take up floor space lol.

I had a 4-5F degree jump when I swapped my cab to flood and drain with the darkroom vents. They are rated for “400cfm” but my fan doesn’t generate much static pressure. I’m sure they’d flow with a stronger fan, but again, pretty happy with the setup overall. I could fix some of my temp issues by running less power on my light. (385w is currently 64w/sq ft lol)

6 Likes

I remember years ago when someone thought it up saying it was kind of a toss up. I’ve always been super intrigued by the idea. How’s the penetration on the SolStrips? I’ve been racking my brain the last few days trying to decide on a new lighting rig. This whole COBs vs Quantums vs SolStrips is driving me nuts.

4 Likes

I have both setups, cobs and strips and the strips win hands down. The multi point origins of light are what help this. Cobs are intense in their own right but they are a single point source of light. Quantum’s are multi point as well, but unless something has changed in the last year they seemed impossible to obtain and weren’t the best cost effective solution.

My buddy @Roux breaks down the various strip costs pros/cons iirc in his thread Here

My cob rig uses cluo48’s and it is respectable for only 200w, but I feel like 200w of solstrips would ourperform it.

Go with the strips they are hella easy to build with and scale nicely.

9 Likes

Definitely going to give that a read. Thanks for the link.

5 Likes

And bow keep us updates, please.
We miss your posts :cry:

3 Likes

I’ll second this. Even my 4x Cree CXB3590 pale in comparison to the SolStrips, both run on 240-watts.

6 Likes

Drop by every once in a while and tell me lol, I’m bad about keeping updates once a system is up and running.

I will probably start a new thread when I begin to convert a pantry cab into a multi chambered setup.

7 Likes

@TheJanitor if the option between a couple points of light “cobs” vs strips id also pick strips or boards any day of the week.

5 Likes

I’m definitely going with the strips.

2 Likes

So, I’ve been contemplating and planning…

After this tester run, i’m going to rebuild/build another cab. Using the things i’ve learned from this run, I’ve got some changes I’d like to make. I should have plenty of harvest for a month break. Going to take my time and do things right.

64w/square foot is overkill, and i’d like more space.

• 2x4x3 usable interior space minus the flood and drain portion, and make sure it’s actually square.
  • Spread my strips out to fit the new space. (385w/8sqft = a respectable 48w/sqft)
  • Upgrade from T-stat wire to 16g custom harness on my JellySol array. Install Quick Connects on the DC side of the driver.
  • Build a custom Flood and Drain table into the cab like my current setup is, but no round edges to deal with thus allowing me to run the full tray instead of what fits without tipping over.
  • Attempt to build lightweight but sturdy so moving it around wouldn’t be a problem. My current version is pretty damn heavy.
  • Isolate heat sinks into their own ventilation setup for better cooling. (think cool tube setup, but for strips)
  • Upgrade ventilation (May go with a Cloudline T6) This may not be needed if I successfully pull off the isolated strip cooling.
  • Find a better place to mount my camera for a top down view of the grow/add another cam.

Everything will be experimental but i’ll document either in this thread or start a new build thread.

If anyone has any input, feel free to chime in, I love hearing fresh ideas and different perspectives.

14 Likes

Jelly,
The only problem I have is the Google connection. They already know enough about me (and really everyone else). Do I want them REALLY knowing I am growing weed? :grinning:

To be serious, I am not a big fan of home automation, or wifi for that matter. The only reason I use it, right now, is that my computer is in another room and it’s the only way I can get online. Though with that I have firewalls built on firewalls, but even with that, if they can hack all these “serious” systems, my would be a breeze.

Actually going through something now. Got a letter from the Federal Bureau of Incompetence a few weeks back. Why in the world someone would try, but someone actually tried to steal MY identity. Thought it was a scam, but it was actually true. I guess that one just fell in their laps…:laughing:

My guess they got it from one of the notices I got from sites saying they were hack. SO, I don’t really like giving anyone any more access than possible. That being said, it does seem like a pretty good system. If only there was a way to not have to go through there system, but directly from my computer, through MY router, to the controllers.

2 Likes

Maybe if I lived in a prohibition state, I would be more concerned. LEO would have to get a warrent to get access to the records. There are lots of options to keep everything on your network.

1 Like

Remember, the US is technically a “prohibition state” at least federal wise. Who needs warrants when you have FISA. Anyone could be considered an intelligence threat, just ask James Rosen, Sharyl Attkisson, and most of the AP staff, from 2009-2016.

2 Likes

I think its up to the poster to decide what “compromises” their security,

apart from the fact i love grow cams, i think its an excellent way for those of us that arent always near our plants to be able to check up on them for the sake of our own obsessions and consciousness…

we’re slightly drifting off course here, back to the Cab Adventures please :grin:

4 Likes

I guess because of my situation, I am always here so I don’t have to worry about losing track.

Getting back to what we were talking about, what have you folks heard about using Tasmota or ESPurna with Domoticz to run the sonoff devices locally. It just sounds like a lot of work.

2 Likes

That was my feelings about the custom firmware as well lol :sleepy:

I can’t wait to see it. You done building it yet? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes