Jelly's Cab Adventures

Hey thanks!!! After the holidays settle down, I’m ordering a bag.

Got home off my trip, low and behold my lights were flickering. I thought maybe the el-cheapo digital timer wasn’t engaging fully so I tried plugging my lights directly into the power strip. Fuse inside the ELCHEAPO power supply blew. I didn’t think anything of it, so I opened it up, replaced the fuse (its only a 5amp fuse) and plugged it in… blew it immediatley the lights didn’t even light up. I guess my going cheap on the power supply is kicking me in the ass. I’m supposed to leave friday for christmas traveling, and there’s no way I can get a meanwell here in time.

If its not one thing its another, when it rains it pours, Etc etc blah blah bitch moan whine and … ok i’m done lol.

Where can I get a temporary power supply to hold me over somewhere locally? Even 24v 10a would hold me over till I could order the meanwell after the holidays.

1 Like

if you ordered express shipping from amazon or mouser you may get it friday

1 Like

Not in my neck of the woods. There’s no such thing as overnight shipping this far out in the sticks. One of the hazards of living out in BFE. It wouldn’t get here until monday, Sometimes Saturday delivery isn’t offered by the big guys (digikey/mouser/etc)

If I ordered tonight, the flow would go like this
Thursday would be processing day, If i get lucky it might ship.
Friday Evening by 8pm (and its always 6-8pm, never early) it’d get here and I wouldn’t be here, I have to leave friday by noon to make my schedule for the holidays.

I’m literally fucked.

1 Like

i really don’t know enough about electronics to know what would have a similar power supply. is there a walmart near you? maybe you could order for pickup

1 Like

Hey Jelly, they still have the promo going for a free 230 gram bag. I got one coming, cost me $2.77 for shipping to California…
Promo code, MEGACROPpromo

1 Like

what wattage / ampage do you actually need, walmart might have that as well. if those drivers aren’t able to be picked up in time maybe there’s some type of electronic product off the shelf you can take the power supply out of. i’m not sure what, i don’t know enough about electronics like that. some type of electronics store might have something you could use or know how to help you if one is near by

I will figure something out. Gotta figure it out before noon tomorrow, lights on at noon and I need them to work lol.

@legalcanada I actually need something like HLG-480H-24A (dimmed down of course)
Checked shipping options for the things you linked, Fastest they quote anything getting here is Dec 28th.

Really hope you get it all figured out, ain’t nobody got time to that!

Also just snagged a 230g MC for the 2.77 ship price - cantvreally go wrong to give it a go

1 Like

there is no walmart near you for in store pickup?

worst comes to worst you could always set up your old fixture for while you are gone right?

1 Like

In store pickup only works for items sold by Walmart right? The items you linked are sold by third party.

Overnight shipping is 62$ I’m a cheap ass lol.

If I have to yes, I will install my screw in fixture lol. I’ll see what I can find tomorrow morning in town.

2 Likes

Jelly, I bet you grew some pretty fine weed with those screw in LEDs!!!

1 Like

I actually haven’t used them to completion, but I’ve seen plenty of people use them, and grow great flowers with them.

If I can’t find anything tomorrow I’ll rig them back up until my new shiny meanwell comes in. :slight_smile:

I used them and though I’m not a great grower, they did grow weed. I’m hoping I can now do better with my new setup. If you can’t find anything else they’ll surely see you thru till you do. All the best to ya my friend…

It may be a long shot, but do you have any thrift stores around? The one by my house usually has a bin of old power supplies. Some laptop power supplies are 24 volt. You could also get something like 5 amps and run them at half power. Otherwise, just use your off-the-shelf LED bulb setup for a few days.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking about doing lol

Edit: I’m going to try some 7.5a and 10a fuses as well. I’m pulling close to max load and I figure that 5a just may not be cutting it.

I’m still going to order the meanwell but if this will get me by until I get back it should work.

Maybe just unplug a couple led strips to lighten the load?

2 Likes

Thats a pretty good idea…

1 Like

I think I’d rather lighten the load than use a heavier fuse.

Something is definitely wrong with the power supply itself. I unhooked the load, adjusted the voltage adjustment pot down to minimum (0v on the display) tried with a replacement 5a fuse… blew. Ok, while I was out I bought a 7.5a fuse. Installed this, powered it on (again with no load) and it stayed on at 0v. Ok good, Turned the adjustment pot up, not even 1v on the display and something inside violently exploded… Yeah, Good thing I bought this from amazon. I’ll be getting my 40 bucks back lol.

So for now, I have temporarily reinstalled my Screw in fixture.

@legalcanada @2RedEyes
I went ahead and ordered the “promo” 230g trial of Megacrop. I’ll be using LC’s referral link after christmas.

Checked everything local, No such luck. I’ll be traveling tomorrow so just for the hell of it i’m going to hit up damn near every thrift store on the way… A dangerous hobby lol.

Ordered a Meanwell HLG-320H-24A. It will be here by the 2nd at the latest.

There is such a huge difference between my strips and screw in fixture… It’s crazy how much brighter the strips are vs the screw ins.

4 Likes

Day 12F

It’s about time to water the girls.

14 Likes