Johnnypotseed’s 3-ring circus - with autos, photos & sex…reversals, that is! (Part 6)

Getting rain today for the first time since early August. I was forced to cut and cover. Cleanest outdoor I’ve seen,no spots.

8 Likes

Sorry to monopolize your thread bro but I have one more pic to put on.
@BigMike55 ,
I guess one reason I think they are beautiful is that horses have similar eyes.

Elongated pupils for better peripheral vision.

3 Likes

Frankie is really trichroming up (if that’s a term)

12 Likes

Looking great there, cuz!

edit… @CanuckistanPete my friend, I think the temps up there where you’re at are contributing to some really lovely coloring!

2 Likes

We grew up eating venison, and my mom would always soak the meat beforehand in salt water for 1 to 3 days. It took all gaminess out and tasted really good once cooked

2 Likes

There are a lot of different methods/soaks used by folks to get rid of the bad taste from all that Adrenalin in a deer that’s been ran. Most any of em work, lol but if you don’t run the deer, you don’t need to do ANY soaking!
Marinate, sure, tenderize, ok, but a soak to get rid of the bad taste? lol naw

1 Like

When they run it pumps a lot of blood into the muscle. Like a bodybuilder pumping up before a show. That blood stays in the meat along with the adrenaline when it dies and the heart stops pumping it around and will absolutely make the meat taste nasty.
As Johnny said, a quick death is one vital key to a good venison steak. Another is knowing how to cook it. Venison must be cooked to between rare and medium. If you get into “medium” the taste begins to resemble liver. If you go past that point it becomes unpalatable, with a very strong liver smell and taste.
Cooked to perfection and it’s one of the best meals a person could ask for. Cooked incorrectly and it is disgusting.

5 Likes

Thnx brother, lol i hadn’t even started to get into the cooking! But you’re correct!

Teamwork brother.

1 Like

Also, lol the cooking is another ballgame entirely! the difference between a really nice meal, and garbage ya toss to the dogs!

A lot of folks never taste it done correctly because they can’t get past the idea of eating meat that still looks like meat.
:laughing:
They want it cooked till brown and dry.

2 Likes

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Yeah, but my parents didn’t make a lot growing up, so they accepted all venison, gut shot, etc. They would even stop by deer who got hit by vehicles and check if they were fresh, then take them home and string em up lol. No matter what, a salt water brine made the meat no taste gamey, bloody, adrenaline, just good ole meat. My favorite was just small pieces floured and fried

3 Likes

Oh I know how that is, my friend! lol Mom had to soak a few that were gave to us. I was just saying about the kill makes all the difference in NOT needing to soak or take other measures in the preparation.

Soaking in milk works way better than water. I’ve done it to deer that were hit wrong and had to be trailed down. It works like a charm. Even real old deer (who can have a strong gamey taste even when harvested perfectly) come out clean after 2-3 days soak in milk.
If you use water, make it salted down quite a bit.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I get that. My parents must not have been a super good shot, because they always had to follow a blood trail, so lots of adrenaline lol

Milk was mom’s ‘go-to’ when there was a gut shot or dogs ran etc

Yeah she tried with milk, but none of us liked it as much. Maybe because we weren’t used to it as much lol

2 Likes

Beer works in a pinch. It’ll tenderize a tough old buck too.

1 Like

Beer makes me tender, too. At least Zee says so.

3 Likes