Jungle Spice Dating Game

@lefthandseeds - what’s the optimal temperature for Jungle Spice seedlings?

3 Likes

I’m not sure about optimal, but I always start them out mid/upper 70s and they seem pretty happy.

4 Likes

I’ve read chamomile tea is great for starting seeds as well.

5 Likes

High tech. Remote monitor.

8pm update.
Holding steady.

5 Likes

Took a peek earlier with a friend. Didn’t get pics but saw 5 or 6 heads above the dirt. Think we may get close to a full house.

5 Likes

:tada: Great to hear!

1 Like

Everybody is above the dirt except two of the six Mr Greens.

11 Likes

Are the stripes of wetter and dryer soil intentional? I always wonder why some pots dry out faster in my room I think it’s an airflow thing.

3 Likes

I dusted the first batch with diatomaceous earth (fruit flies were raiding from my worm bin.) The second batch were inserted beside their full siblings

3 Likes

Well I’m glad you organized them into nice stripes either way!

3 Likes

Seems like the greens are the most stubborn! I’ve got my money on reds, but it’ll be pretty awesome to see.

3 Likes

I will give the two absent spawn of Mr. Green a couple more days. If they don’t show, I will soak the rest.

I feel a pull to keep a few back, in case I want them in the future, but I can see that comes from an out-dated scarcity model. There is no shortage of seeds. The constraints are time, space, money, and legality.

11 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Based on your findings, I’ll make F4s from the best one anyway. I’m not sure if you’ll really want to run F3s again at that point. But if you do, then I’ll probably have enough leftover to send you more.

4 Likes

I will put 9 more in water tomorrow.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Helmets removed with patience and a wet paintbrush.
16 of 18 up.
One more green peeking out. 9 more on deck.

Just dropped a fourth of each. We will have ten total from each father (9 for green. One doesn’t look interested in popping.)

15 Likes

Thinking it may have been an error staggering the seeds this way. I imagined multiple views across time and parentage but I may have added unnecessary complication. We shall see.

2 Likes

Last row is starting to show. Do people cull this early without signs of obvious malady?

8 Likes

I don’t usually make any decisions until I have to transplant. For small plants, only obvious mutations or runts. Then I do an intermediate potting stage, into pots that are about a pint. By the time they get root bound in there, I can usually distinguish if there are other features I won’t want to keep.

After that, there’s still a lot of variations that can’t be observed until mid flower.

3 Likes

My plan is to hold them, then, until the most recent drops are ready for flower. Top them (all? Half? One of each pheno!), let them settle and then up-pot the best three of each. Let them settle again, and then flip them.

I will be excited to find a few males. It’s not part of the male-test requirements but I want to practice selection and seed making. Probably on small clones.

4 Likes