K def? Mg def? Ca tox? something else?

Looks mg / n issues. When applying gypsum you really gotta watch Mg.

2 Likes

thanks! ill try epson on one and report back.

i noticed I was putting Ma in previous responses, i meant Mg.

2 Likes

Gypsum amendment at 2 t/ha reduced topsoil exchangeable Mg and K in both soils. ā€¦ The study indicates that Mg is more susceptible to leaching loss than K after surface application of gypsum. It is also suggested that surfaceā€applied gypsum be used as a soil ameliorant along with proper management of Mg and K fertilizers.

2 Likes

wow thank you!! I have been adding a bit of K with silica (but really small) and now I will try Mg with epson salt to manage my gypsum

1 Like

That would be my guess with that much vermiculite. I really think he reversed the numbers for perlite and vermiculite in that video.

Dolomitic lime is up to 13% Mg. This makes the soil heavier and can decrease oxygen in the rootzone.

A soil test will tell you. :wink:

Doubt it, safe maximum levels are around 1000 ppm of gypsum.

Use it as a foliar spray so you donā€™t add more Mg to the soil mix.

Yes cation pushes another cation off the exchange site.

2 Likes

Hey thanks! but im doing peat with vermiculite and perlite, do soil tests apply equally here?

actually he doesnā€™t add perlite. just vermiculite, i added perlite to the mix as an extra for aeration.

even in flower?

thanks Reiko!

I was thinking mag as well

2 Likes

A soil test will tell you what is in your medium. But since you are basically doing hydroponics, it probably wouldnā€™t be worth the $60 or so.

I just donā€™t see how that vermiculite could even work, maybe heā€™s using tiny pots so they dry out faster?

How far into flowering are you talking. I mean seriously nobody asked to see the whole plant? Is this just a couple of older fan leaves? Thatā€™s totally normal as a plant transitions to flower.

Edit: just looked at your journal. There is definitely an issue going on here. Iā€™m going to stick with over watering as my guess. :male_detective:

3 Likes

Well I will just toss out my two cents. I have been an organic grower since day one and have been pretty successful with some minor issues but nothing terrible. I just switched this grow over to using Jackā€™s and thatā€™s all for feeding instead of fish ferts and teaā€™s.
The difference is incredible using Jacks for RO and now the difference is amazing. No guesswork on mixing and adding different things. Run about 50% strength so far easy as falling off a log. Weigh it out mix it and just for information check thenPPM. In second week of flower with bloom and next week switch back to base grow formula as they recommend. Unless something goes sideways Iā€™m sold on this. Need to get a couple pics up. My plants have never looked better at this point in a grow.
My soil is a base of coast of Maine products and once and done. I have read from other jackā€™s users just using inexpensive pro mix works just fine since Jackā€™s makes up for anything not in the soil.

1 Like

Jacks and Peters are a very similar formula (i think its actually dad and son companies) what you are doing is very similar to what im doing, im doing Peters at EC 1.2 to 1.3.

Im guessing youre doing the Jacks 321 modified? or something similar? my issue is where i live i cant get that, only Peters.

Pro Mix is not soil though it is all Peat as far as im aware.

Iā€™m using the RO 12-4-16 and the 10-30-20 bloom for two weeks. I have the 7-15-30 finish ordered and on the way end of week. Ordered directly from them and shipping is FedEx and a little more than UPS would be. I hear they now have a online order store for Canada now but I obviously donā€™t know where your shipping. I will now stop any thread drift other than saying after growing with just organic fertilizers for about 6 years Jacks has impressed me much at this point I am sold but just mixing at half strength. As I use it more I imagine I will dial it in. I contacted Jacks explaining my grow and medium and this was their recommendations.
https://www.jacksnutrients.com/jacks-nutrients-lineup
Proof of life. Bubba and Ghost and ICC and GG4 after last hard trim and stake today. In a small space I have to keep them trimmed up or it gets out of hand and even more so now. In a week this will be a jungle. 14 days after flip.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering where your trace elements are coming from in that mix/feed schedule?

1 Like

So i believe magnesium and calcium from dolomitic lime, sulfur and calcium from gypsum, Peters has a bit of boron, manganese, copper, zinc, and iron (plus npk obv).
and then whatever 120ppm my tap water has.

Ive been thinking of adding a lil bit of coco water again, but i didnt really want to experiment that much in my first grow.

1 Like

Ok, I wasnā€™t sure what exactly was in Peterā€™s, but I didnā€™t see any micro additions in the mixture.

1 Like