Calcium deficiency?

New to nutrients- based on my research this looks like it might be a calcium def.?

What do you guys think? I have powdered calcium carbonate that i can add to water and feed right now, just wanted to get a few 2nd opinions if possible. thank you!

1 Like

How far in is it mate? Looks like it may be close to finish. Whether it’s worth doing anything or not would depend how long they have left imo

1 Like

I’d say they are ~4weeks out from harvest - Just passed the 6 week mark and it seems like 9 - 10 weeks is about avg.

I also have this particular plant in a small pot so it could also be general stress (the only one i didn’t actually have a proper sized pot for, wasn’t expecting 90% of the beans to pop female :))

Others are looking more like this:
(9lb x Cannatonic)

(yes i do see the nitro burn on the tips there, still getting things balanced!)

I mean would it hurt to give a flowering plant a little calcium / cal-mag? I read they use the calc. to actually structure buds

Thank you for the response by the way!

4 Likes

I’d say you were right on the balance. the burnt tips is how I distinguish how heavy a feeder is. Push till a tiny bit of burn and back it off a tiny bit once that’s established.

I’d never jump right off the bat and say it wouldn’t harm them. I use advanced nutrients pH perfect line and calmag is a big no no in the base. What lighting are you using? A few other people are experiencing a similar thing running LED where everything is a week faster. So you may be closer to finish than you think.

Im sorry mate but I won’t be the person to say yes or no to the calmag as I don’t know a definitive enough answer to give.

2 Likes

Soil?
I’d give them some molasses before I tried the cal carbonate… molasses has iron, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Almost Everything a flowering plant needs… if they’re about half way the K will help them over the hump, iron is a catalyst to photosynthesis, etc etc. I generally try to use things that have more than one benefit.

5 Likes

Check on blackstrap molasses. Have been feeding them that since flowering… usually hit them at least once a week with 1 tbsp /gal mixture of blackstrap and water.

Maybe i will up the dosage for that particular plant. Thanks guys- i just did a light mixture of molasses and a touch of calmag… nothing strong.

Not even worried about it as only a couple of top leaves are even showing that… more curious as to what it is for next time i see it. Glad to know others here use molasses too.

3 Likes

Another thing you can do, if you are using beneficials like great white, recharge or og bio war, is give them another shot of those and re-up on your micro life…so to speak…

2 Likes

Ive got so many “stews” in milk cartons in my hallway- from water/molasses to VERY rich compost tea to FF big bloom / general kelp based organic.

Sounds good man i’ll feed the microbes some more sugar. Thank you for the tips

2 Likes

If you have a calcium deficiency (or any other issue really) simply top with quality worm castings. Worm castings are coated in calcium carbonate and loaded with microbes. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

Brother @ReikoX I’m gonna be stalking your semi organic ways soon. I might have to have a crack.

3 Likes

Many ways to skin a cat bro. Organic works with my lazy ways.:+1::seedling:

6 Likes

I’m having less time to fuck about and more time working now the lighting is picking up slightly. So I need lazy in my life too. The sonoffs etc are a good way but I’m still hand feeding Coco daily

2 Likes

so basically compost and you’re good?

Do you have a thread on any of this? I have yet to really dive into nutrients (taking it one thing at a time) but I still haven’t really decided on “building” a soil mix versus using some sort of bare bones substrate (soil/coco) and adding via water.

I like the idea of a combination of both as i would like to incorporate a light amount of neem meal into all of my soil mixtures along with organics that will simply benefit the plant without risk of over-nutrient.

1 Like

The calcium carbonate comes from the worms digestive system. Thermal compost will not have the added calcium.

I have posts all over, but basically I’m using the Clackamass Coots mix and the BlueJayWay watering schedule.

It’s been a journey for me and I’ve only been doing this method for a few cycles. I started off with an organic coco mix (Fox Farms Coco Loco) and the Biocanna organic line of nutrients (Vega, Flora, Boost, and Rhizotonic).

I was recycling, but not reamending, and got into fermented plant extracts. Followed the methods on theunconventionalfarmer.com for a while with decent success.

From there I got into making my own soil and no-till methods. And started my own worm bin.

I read these three long threads:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=241964

Plus many of the recommended books:
One Straw Revolution
Seaweed and Plant Growth
What a Plant Knows
Botany of Desire
Vermiculture Technologies

The only thing I learned in college is how to teach myself. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

I am hoping no one underestimates the importance of learning how to learn!

8 Likes

I had one of my first professors tell the whole class, “I don’t teach, that implies you learn. I lecture.”

I truly believe that the purpose of secondary education is to learn how to learn. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

I once studied with a music history teacher. He was famous for all kinds of biting comments because he didn’t teach “music theory” he taught “music fact”. He was great.

“A doctoral degree is merely a license to study without someone looking over your shoulder.” Joel Sheveloff

9 Likes

the only thing i learned in high-school was how to get by doing the least amount of work possible.
I hear that.

THANK YOU. The passion here truly is contagious.

I will be reading all of that- One thing that is nice about living in Southeast Alaska is all of the seaweed i can go grab 2 minutes away on the beach. Mom has been bedding her garden with that stuff since i can remember.

I love all of this with a passion. Been doing IT work my whole life…no more. On the verge of going full botanist, full time… I had to show my wife that post- “this guy just spent ~20 minutes typing this all out and sharing these links for me”. Seed sharing, etc.

Awesome. Thanks again to everyone. <3

8 Likes

Excess Mn?

Mg Deficiency?

4 Likes

Based on that chart i would go with excess Mn… Huh… Could be… i did a large dose of FF big bloom but that stuff isnt even concentrate… probably some stuff i shouldnt have used toward the beginning built up in the soil.

Good. I gave her a small amount of cal-mag and molassed her up… will water for awhile now.

should be fine.

2 Likes