KingGhidora's 2x4x5ft tent grow/5x solstrips (now 8x). From scratch!

Taming Medusah

This is a wild one for sure… I had several “growth tips” that are shooting for the stars and they are mostly too stiff to weave through the trellis so i just used the trellis as a tie down point and some of the velcro tape to tie it over.

Before

You can see several are almost touching the light and will force the light up if I let them and I don’t have much more vertical space available - maybe 8-10 inches or so.

After

Gained a few inches anyways… I’m sure I’ll be needing to do some more tie downs in the near future.

Upskirt

I finally got around to pruning the undergrowth below the canopy… here’s some upskirt shots for you pervs! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Yes, there is a bit left there in the pic but I cleaned her on up.

Lesson learned

Have the trellis in place early - anticipate! I will definitely be building a PVC framed screen with legs for the next grow and have it in place from the beginning!

FlopTek

A week or so ago I “flopped” the growth tips over using what I fondly refer to as @Mr.Sparkle’s FlopTek (see previous post). Here are some recovery shots… It knuckles right up :fist:!

Obligatory budshots (around about 17F)

These are of the Blueberry

Thanks!

:dragon_face:

15 Likes

Very impressive stems on show there, they should yield big. Seem to be loving those solstrips eh. I’m hoping to have mine in use tomorrow afternoon :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Yeah brother, they are loving the strips, RGT, and the mega crop! Anything goes bad it’hs on me lol! Next update I’ll include some stem shots, they are fat! :grin:

4 Likes

The Stalk, and some bud shots

As, promised - a good shot of the Tangie stalk. The Blueberry is just as fat but I didn’t top it so it doesn’t have the crazy knuckling.

15 Likes

A Motion Picture :lion_face:

Just a short video I made this morning.

1 Like

Day 26F

Updates

So things are coming along very nicely, I just upped nutes to approx. 27.5g to 5 gallons of water as described by Greenleaf’s MegaCrop nutrient calculator on their website. The plants are loving the MegaCrop. I have noticed just the slightest tip burn with upping the nutes so I may back off ever so slightly at next rez change. Which, for those wondering, my 5 gallon bucket reservoir has been lasting 3-4 days with the 3x 3 gallon smart pots.

Anyways, without further ado…

Some Tangie shots

Blueberry tryin’ to be sexy

The whole shebang

Ever vigilant

Misc

Things are starting to come together nicely and after finally getting the carbon filter hooked up with the help of some of that foil ducting tape I must say it works surprisingly well!

Anyways, thanks for watching!

15 Likes

that blueberry is achieving sexiness lol

2 Likes

Love the guard shark. :grin:

2 Likes

Isn’t it though? I was worried she would get overshadowed by the Tangie but she has really shown out. :smile:

1 Like

Haha I know right! My daughter gave it to me so I figured I’d put it to good use. :wink:

1 Like

She doesn’t have to try very hard.

1 Like

Day 32F, Still Truckin’

Off to your left - a couple of the Tangie’s buds…

And to your right, one of two big 'ol colas on the bigger Blueberry

And in the back, you’ll find it’s twin.

And hear appears to be a random Tangie bud

Check out the roots at this drip site.

2 of the 3 plants have these root patches. However this one is by far the larger of the two. Easily a couple inches across, and has bulged the surface of the coco mix. I’ve pressed down on it and it is solid. It’s like the plant version of an IV drip. @Jellypowered also mentioned he sees this with his Blumats as well.

I’m still following the MegaCrop feeding schedule (this for 5 gallons of water):

And that’s about it, everything is going pretty nicely. I am experiencing some of the sediment after a couple days with the MegaCrop that has been mentioned elsewhere and it can start to build up and restrict flow in the 3mm Blumat drip lines. To remedy this I have ordered a mesh bag used in home-brewing to basically line the 5 gallon bucket I use as a reservoir… To filter out the sediment stuff and make for easy cleaning at rez change.

See ya next time.

15 Likes

Hey @KingGhidora. Beautiful specimens. Do you take those pictures with a phone cam? They are very nice. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, they are turning out very nice! Can’t say I’m not excited! :smile: The pics are all taken with my trusty ol Samsung Galaxy S7. Freshly de-smudged lens too thanks to @Mr.Sparkle lol. :wink: I usually use the flash even under the strips, and I bounce back and forth between the camera’s HDR mode. I’d like to get a decent DSLR camera, but alas that’s still a wish list item.

4 Likes

I am very interested in seeing how well that mesh bag works, as I’ve not yet been able to resolve that problem fully in my setup. Everything is looking great so far, good job!

3 Likes

I also had the idea of getting one of those fine mesh generic drop in screens for like a bathroom sink and gluing it or whatever over the bulkhead fitting on the inside of the bucket… but that might be annoying to clean. I will report back though once I’ve got the bag in place and let you and everyone else know how it works out.

2 Likes

RE: Something is causing slight clogs/flow restriction in my 3mm Blumat drip lines…

While I am getting some sediment from the MegaCrop, I do not think that is the culprit. After a day or two (from rez change) I am getting this floating in the nute solution:

WTF is this? :thinking:

All I had handy was a small spoon with some MegaCrop residue still on it, but I used that to dip some out of the water… so ignore the brown/red/orangish crap:

Working on a solution

After some discussion with some guys on the Discord server, we decided it was most likely algae/diatoms/something in that category. Due to the fact that I am cleaning and changing the rez out every 4 days or so I have been keeping it at bay for the most part, but it is causing some problems with the 3mm lines.

So, what to do?

I decided to start of by adding 3% H2O2 to my rez at approximately 10ml per gallon, and this happened:

It clumped up and a lot of it sunk from the surface. So I think we are probably correct in that it is biological in nature. So per the advice of @Mr.Sparkle who suggested a “dead rez”, I will be going out to get some pool shock, aka, calcium hypochlorite. The higher the concentration the better… seems to range from 50ish% to 73% being the highest concentration. Be careful though because some pool shock products use a different active chemical. This is the stuff you use when your swimming pool is turning green and you need to get it back clear on the quick, so it should have no problem with a 5 gallon rez.

Alternatively, I could use H2O2, but it is more expensive. I also still have the filter bag that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. One way or another this problem is getting remedied ASAP. I want to be able to leave for a week and be confident.

Later gators

:dragon_face:

5 Likes

I have the same floating “smegma”. Never had it before MegaCrop. When I removed the lid off res. last night it had an odd, somewhat foul odor. My res is only 5 gal but I’m stirring by hand at the bottom to dislodge sediment. I love MegaCrop results but this stuff is an annoying PIA. The sediment doesn’t bother me as much as the floating “smegma”. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I had a bloom once but I also used a dirty bucket to transfer soup to my res.

I wash my res with hot soapy water every time and haven’t had the issue since. Temps are very important with MegaCrop it seems as well.

6 Likes

Good advice. I’m gonna wash my shit and see. What temp range do you find optimum. Thanks @Jellypowered! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes