Kraven a new press

Tha press looks sweet. Can I ask why you decided to use a PID on each plate? Seems a little overkill to me, but I don’t really know a lot about rosin making.

2 Likes

Most presses have heated top and bottom plates. It’s difficult to get even heat with just a single heated plate.

5 Likes

It so I can tweak if needed…having the option to separately control heat on the top and bottom plates allows for me to make minor adjustments if I see that my rosin is beginning to get unstable…the top and bottom place have different contact with the atmosphere and will cool / heat at different rates…I find my top plate runs about 3-4 degrees cooler through the press [ I press zips at a time] so I set the top plate at say 185 and the bottom at 180 to compensate for the temp difference. Prolly overkill, but since the whole thing including twin heaters per plate and separate controls for the top / bottom plates…also made the plates 5x6 for squishing zips…very heavy duty, well built custom press for less than 400.00 US, overkill was well within budget :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking man, I sure enjoy it now that I have it. :peace:

8 Likes

Impressive ! Rosin being my favorite concentrate, i wish to don’t have twos left hands and to able to build this kind of magic tool ^^

3 Likes

Happy squishing. Looks like a good machine.

1 Like

Right, I was thinking that since the plates are nominally the same you could use two heaters controlled by one PID and temp sensor. The plates would be almost the same temperature, maybe slightly different. I don’t know if this would make a difference or not though. Just wondering.

2 Likes

I see. How do you prepare the buds? Do you have some kind of pre-press or a mold or something? Thanks

1 Like

No, as @kraven mentioned plates run different temps. Mine, for example, is hotter on the bottom due to the thermal mass of the steel arbor plate the bottom plate rests on.

1 Like

Yep, got it. Just thinking out loud.

1 Like

I would eventually like to get a jack with a pressure gauge. That’s one variable I don’t have control over, I have to just go by feel. I have tried a few ways to prep my material. For top shelf dense buds, I like to use 37 micron bags from Sasquash. For larf and trim, I use a pre-press, coffee filters, and “directional flow”. Sorry to hijack your thread, but thought I would share my experiences here.

3 Likes

No worries, I personally think that’s tight, but your getting epic pure rosin. I squish flower with 100u and keef / hash with a 25u. The trade off in return verses quality is nominal and most runs I get 22-23% steady…got one strain that gives me 32.5 on the average so that is also a factor plus I squish only zips and nothing smaller. I just think your leaving rosin on the table…but that is just my personal opinion. I believe if your happy with your results then your doing it right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

18-25% average return. I squish 5 gram pucks at a time. Not sure what you mean by leaving it on the table.

1 Like

I squished a little Slayer for Friday night. :peace:

7 Likes

Pressed 6.5 g of Grass Monkey by @LED_Seedz with a 1.5g return…super terpy cake. Man the flavor is amazing and it almost greens me out every dab. :peace:

11 Likes

Nice, what temp did you press at? 120°F? I am running low in product, so I scraped about 1/2 gram of kief from my kief box and trim screen. Pressed it at 170°F and it came out as a crazy texture. It was like a butter look and texture, but broke apart like shatter. Tasted exactly like the kief though.

1 Like

Would you guys recommend a rosin press for personal use! Top quality, design and guarantee!

2 Likes

Hell yeah I would, I use mine all the time. If I had the money, I would get a sasquash rosin press.

You could DIY one like @Kraven and I did. Mine is tiny, but only cost me about $180, but I bought a lot of stuff locally. I squish about 4g at a time.

2 Likes

Super expensive bro. I was thinking something more in the lines
of $600 or $700, might have to look one up in amazon… LOL

Something like this for me. Will have to suffice, but both @ReikoX and @Kraven can maybe see some attibutes or defects… Any?

2 Likes

Yeah 2-3K is pricey, but we’ll worth it for a commercial operation. The one you pictured will work, if you want to go cheap and effective, build yourself a HMK rosin press. Hair straightener and a 600lb quick clamp.

Picture taken from this thread here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=316463

5 Likes

Build a couple and i will help you test them until you get them perfect. Ha! Ha! :grin:

2 Likes