Landrace strains - general thread

I will also be testing and cataloging my strains as i go along to keep evidence if i need to patent my own. I am no expert but it seems like an avenue we need to explore.

1 Like

yes years ago i heard something like this as well, i had heard certain strains they somehow made them so you could not reproduce the seed, im talking female seed not regs, i know you can patient a strain but not the seed as each seed has its unique qualities that may be different than the true strain, not sure how they would even do the patient thing honestly unless they have a pile of money as im sure some of the big seed companies do

one of the reasons for using the forums. A public record of my breeding work and when it was done, through verifiable time-stamped documentation.

this could be like the cannabis equivalent of mailing a completed manuscript to yourself to create a record of authorship and ownership.

edit- an even better comparison, it could be like a grad student taking detailed notes to prevent a professor from stealing credit for their intellectual property.

unfortunately, even in academics, courts and academic institutions tend to side with the person who finds a way make money from an idea, not the person who came up with it.

5 Likes

phylos has created feminized seeds and live female clones that have been genetically modified to prevent sexual reproduction.

I think the hypothetical (but plausible) worst case scenario is that their work is sloppy, and the plants might reproduce unreliably with an impaired reproductive process.

I know they say it’s impossible for those plants to make seed, but I’m just waiting for one of those to herm, produce pollen, and fuck up the entire local cannabis industry by spreading that trait.

shit gets mailed around and traded so fast bad genes could be worldwide in less than a year, potentially before anyone even grew them out.

3 Likes

very true, do you think any seed companies have that in the seeds? so when they pop ect you cant breed with them, again females. yes ive heard a lot of stories, and i read what people put out there.
yeah a year would be right.

I think at this stage it would be unlikely for any non-corporate breeders to purposefully sell stock that contained a “dead-end” trait. But I think a trait like this could easily be propagated by accident, or through cross contamination form nearby grows using genetically modified stock like the line from phylos.

Personally I am very cautious when buying and accepting seeds into my grow. I avoid buying seeds from any of the large corporate euro breeders (dinafem, HSO humboldt seed organization, barneys farm, etc.).

I always do a ton of research on a breeder, their practices, their philosophy, and the history of the work they have put out, to make sure that their business practices are up to my moral standards.

Before I make a purchase from a seed bank, I contact the breeder directly and ask them if that bank is an authorized retailer, and if they can verify that the seeds are genuine. You would be surprised how many times breeders have told me they don’t work with that seed bank and the seeds must be fake.

Here is a post with a list of scam seed banks. Rocket Seeds and Crop King seeds apparently selling counterfeit product - #2 by zephyr

any stock that can’t be verified by the original breeder could really be anything from herm brickweed seed, to copycat lines made by one of the big corporations.

I could easily see an irresponsible independent breeder experimenting with gene splicing and then propagating their modified plants into breeding programs without telling their customers. Now that crispr is available to consumers this could be happening right under our noses and people wouldn’t know the consequences of these gene edits until multiple generations down the line.

In general, most crispr gene edits have no effect until they have been bred for several generations. this is why it is so dangerous for this technology to be in the hands of untrained consumers.

Heck I have seen people propose gene editing and gene tagging for seed run co-ops and other collectives on overgrow. Just take a look at the mutant plant thread. People are trying to grow seeds that were sold to them as gene spliced hybrids of hops and cannabis, and they are enthusiastic about using those techniques themselves.

The “breeder” they got the seeds from is a scammer, and the seeds are fake. But the fact that they are jumping at the chance to grow and breed mutant gene-edited plants and spread them around the globe is concerning.

2 Likes

yeah i seen that with that whatever cross thats going on, sad it has become just a science explement and a way to get free seed, yeah i remember i think i was reading into that about crap king seeds, and the other, i never fell sucker to wanting to grow from those breeders. i dont mind grabbing seed of different strains but if i was going to run something like that id probably just sit back and ignore that show. and change that channel. it is hard even know what you get in seed 100% unless you know where they came from or ran them your self.
yeah the in breed breeding and the trying to make a new this and that, is interesting none the less but much rather be working with land race strains to persevere and what not. you know the ones im talking about. the good stuff im guessing we both grew up on. i do admit though i have bought big name seed some where worth it and the others not. with some of the big names it is a gamble. should i shake the dice and roll them buy because of the picture, haha.
i did hear some thing about the hops and cannabis, i think they were saying they are making beer with it? but im sure some one thinks its fun to smoke on…
we live in a world where everyone is wanting more and more from cannabis but the fact is , we should just keep is simple and the way it is meant to be, smoked and enjoyed

1 Like

Thanks for that @zephyr
I dont like those seedbanks but mostly because i prefer a personal approach. I have totally avoided dutch seedbanks for some time.
I guess im one of the dreaded “hoarders” but diint do co ops or advertsise my grows…i have lots of strains and could probably run these for years and im pretty old now.
Anything interesting i will have analyzed and documented …but for now im jus interested in heirlooms and landraces.

2 Likes

Sensimilla by definition does not refer to a particular breed or strain of plant. Any female marijuana plant which is prevented from becoming fertilized will produce flowers without seeds. This contributes to a higher THC content in the harvest because none of the buds have had a chance to turn into seeds. This also contributes to the quality and rarity of Sensimilla product because an unfertilized sensi-yeilding plant is unable to reproduce (until fertilized).

When you use silver to turn a female into a male to pollenate its own self then returning it to flower causes sterile female seeds. Thats one way.

We all know what sinsemilla is, check out some of my grows.

We are not talking about the simple and universal technique of eliminating male plants from the grow to prevent the crop from being seeded.

We were talking about the Phylos genetically modified high cbd line which has been gene edited to prevent sexual reproduction through pollination.

6 Likes

I should have checked out your grows first. My bad.

3 Likes

excellent thank you so funny

Seems odd. Very odd. I have grown RSC Lebby for many years and in multiple locatoins. I never had any black rot, grey mold, PM or any anything other than success. I have grown them in the ground, in pots, in water, in greenhouses, and outdoors. F1 through F3s from IBL seeds all were true to form. I have also cloned the crap pout of them. The strain from RSC that I grew was sourced from the Beqaa Valley in the later 1990s. They apparently do not have this line any more. These are the most bullet proof plants I have grown, actually. They bloom more like sativas with more open buds that resist rot better here. They come in so early that they never get any type of rot here. Even with summer rains like we got today. If I was growing them this year (I am not) they would be in bloom now and ready to harvest by the end of the month. I have also grown Lebanese from other sources in Europe and the US, and they all pretty much grow the same, save for two phenos that look different. They smoke the same though.

None of this has anything to do with soils, sun, heat, water, or nutes. I have grown them in peat, sand, clay and silt, on the coast, in inland valleys, and here in the Cascade foothills. Same same, save for they get a lot bigger with valley floor heat and in greenhouses in the ground. They can be sized down in pots ir in cooler climates, but that can be said for any Cannabis I hvae grown.

If you want a list of strains that rot easy, they include Morocco Rif landrace, Blue Dream, real fake grape taste GDP (~the~ most PM ridden strain I have every grown), several SE Asian strains, and most Colombian strains (as they bloom so late and long), and several mutt hemp hybrids that I have collected. Pretty much any buds that get water on them will rot here. Problem with greenhouse growing in the cool fall nights is that condensation forms inside the plastic sheeting and they tend to drip on the buds. One drop of water on a bud overnight and you get grey mold growing there 3 days later. Hence my liming to grow early strains here. Like Lebanese. Morocco is also really early, but it rots like crazy here, even growing next to Lebby with no rot. Go figure. Same soil,. same greenhouse, same water cycle, same nutes.

I am ~in~ the Cascades here. West slopes, peaks all around me here.

7 Likes

I must interject here on several points that you make. I do not believe that it was Phylos BioScience (evil pukes that they are) in Portland that developed these self sterile hemp lines. Phylos are nothing more than a self glorified Cannabis lab. Phylos intentionally led people down the stray path using the Open Cannabis Project to lure people into sending them samples of Cannabis with the intent to genetically map those strains and use that information to breed a future super strain that has yet to materialize.

The sterile hemp lines that you guys seem to be referring to were developed by two brothers in Oregon at Oregon CBD. It was not done through GMO or any genetic manipulation other than creating a triploid plant using standard breeding methods. Those methods being to chemically mutate a diploid to a quadraploid (with something like colchisine), and then breeding the diploids and quads to make a triploid. Triiploid plants are (for the most part) sterile. No gene editing here. Old school methods used. Lots and lots of plants grown, bred and tested. As far as I know, the only real place that any real Cannabis GMO has been done is in New Mexico at Trait Biosciences in Los Alamos. There may be some newer places developing GMO Cannabis, but I am not aware of anyone other than Trace that has true genetically modified Cannabis at this time.

11 Likes

Crazy how different experiences can be with the same varieties. The Moroccan I grew last summer held up really well, and actually didn’t get any mold, although I did get some slight powdery mildew. Perhaps the Lebanese did so poorly because New York had the wettest summer on record the year I grew it, (although this year has to be a close second, if not number one. Also with the Moroccan I did my best to bring them in on rainy days, and with Lebanese the mold spores had already spread by the time I started doing that and it was pretty hopeless. You have definitely piqued my interest though. Perhaps I have to get lucky with the climate for the summer, and hope for a dry one… and bring the plants in at night or grow them under cover. We have extremely heavy dews every morning here. Just yesterday I was walking through the yard at 3 in the afternoon and noticed my shoes were getting wet from the grass. Still wet from the night before believe it or not, and it was sunny all day too. Right now we have 84% humidity. This last month and a half it’s been hovering between 80 and 90%. Certainly a great testing ground for finding resistant plants, but a heartbreaker at the same time. Too bad I didn’t have the same Lebanese you were able to get. I don’t recall when the Real Seed Company got the ones I picked up, but they sound a bit different than yours for sure. . There was a sativa phenotype in there , but it was very uncommon ( just one), and not potent. I know Lebanese has a sativa phenotype but the field the seeds I have came from must have been heavily selected towards the short squat Indica phenotype. Perhaps I would have to select and work with this sativa phenotype to get any kind of harvest. My next try with Lebby will be @lefthandseeds version. I’m hoping the hybrid Vigor will help with mold.
I’ve only been in Washington states Cascades and they are Absolutely beautiful. The West slope looked a lot like New York, complete with Maple trees and similar hills and farmland. I drove the northern route that goes through the nat’l park. Man, did I want my fishing gear!!

5 Likes

Well damn, I just ordered some Lebanese from rsc
The Lebanese I got from ace was definitely a satva form…I might be getting some from Landrace team tho.
I have their Jalisco coming, some Laos gold from rsc, and last night after watching CNN…I ordered some of each of the remaining afghan strains
Kandahar, Tora Bora and ghazni… :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve been growing in ebb and flow hydro with leca, and I normally use three flood cycles, but for the Lebanese I notice that they prefer only 2. That said, the only time I’ve had botrytis was on a pheno that leaned toward an rsc line. But it was also a much shorter, denser plant than some of the other lines of Lebanese. And even an rsc leaning type that was her sister didn’t get it. That one did have more sativa looking traits as well though.

4 Likes

I’m glad I only ordered five seeds from rsc. My previous experience as with ace and I had two sprout that didn’t damp off. I had one green stem cbd Pheno with a very interesting terpene profile, I still smoke it for my morning wake up weed…and red stem Pheno that foked.me.up…big time.
I had a light leak and they hermied. Debating growing those seeds tho…I like so much

4 Likes

Humidity definitely makes a difference. All of my grows have been up and down the west coast. So the vast majority of my growing has been in a dry climate with less than 50% down to 15% humidity for the most part. Here it rarely gets above 70% humidity unless it is raining. Nothing like it gets in the South or New York. I spent one summer in NYC and broiled, even in 80 degree ‘heat’. Similarly when I worked in north Alabama one spring. You could cut the air with a knife it was so humid there. This summer the PNW has been more humid than most but rather dry rain-wise. A few thunderstorms and some Pacific drizzle here and there. Which is good for fires. No rot on any of my weed this summer though.

The sativa pheno for most Lebbies I know of are the more rare type. For me that has been the case with all Lebby sources. THC and CBD potency also varies a lot in Lebby, as listed by Ace with their stock and online posted tests.

8 Likes

I’m curious, does anybody know anything about cannabis (hemp) being grown in Fujian province of China? I can’t find information anywhere.

I’m moderately obsessed with certain Southeast/east asian countries, including Fujian province, and grabbed some of these off Snowhigh.

It’s been at least two years since I’ve grown any thing hemp. And even then, it was bagseed from Oregon flower. Kind of want to pop these new seeds for the novelty of it.

5 Likes