Feminized Seeds , Whats Your thoughts!?

Curious as to everyone’s take on feminized seeds!

I think they are good to have for the retail market for closet growers & people just trying to get some smoke.
I have had some great feminized strains, but not without issues… Hermi’s being #1. But not my biggest concern, I ultimately believe that when you feminize the seed you are missing key elements of its genetic structure to turn it from a good smoke to a GREAT smoke(No facts so please correct me if i am wrong!! Here to learn!! :smiley: ). Sadly some strains available commercially only by fem seeds. Would you run anything feminized ?

Cheers!

10 Likes

Oh no you done did it now!
There might be a few sensitive feelings with this topic, but here we go. I take them when they’re free. I can’t pay for half a seed. When you fem or grow a hermie (little difference) you only have chromosomes from the female thus half the ingredients for genetics.
I also have no patience for hermies. If i find a great pheno of something i release it to my friends. If i give them something that they can’t breed or if it seeds their room what are they going to think of me as a grower.
I also feel fem seeds bottleneck our genetics. The more people doing it the worse our genetic pool in the future. There is a lot more to it than that i’m sure and i look forward to opposite opinions.

12 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

13 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the input!

I don’t have a hate or love for them, still plan on buying more for the fact i am limited to plant count & space.

Hope I didn’t open a bad can of worms!! Just curious why some are deadset against it or preaching feminized all the way!

6 Likes

i believe fem beans has their place but everyones going down that route. soon there will only be a very few companies doing reg breeding. imagine if we only had girls walking around, all hell would break loose. not to mention the lack of flavour and potency the fem version always brings. now this isnt to say they dont have their place. im what you would consider a newish grower and i havnt had the pleasure of growing out regs. at first i didnt have space so fems are great because you can pop a 6 pack and find a keeper if you get them from a good breeder. they are also good for beginners because you can pop a single bean and get some good smoke without much worry of males (again with the breeder). they have their place but everyone should grab a pack or two of regs with every pack of fems you buy. just make sure to keep some around just incase:)
Much Love
Lotus

9 Likes

I like em, I make em, I dont have too much problem with em.

6 Likes

I am hoping to create my own when i find a killer strain or pheno for sharing or to keep for future.

Still a long ways off from that though!

1 Like

Nah, just dont trash your males, save up that pollen in the freeze.

4 Likes

If I get a good enough stud forsure! I have some landrace afghani , enough seeds im sure i could find a stud!

3 Likes

id love to try some GGW beans!

2 Likes

Maybe one day there will be a GGW seed company :wink: haha

2 Likes

i cant wait to breed:) ive never come across males because ive never throw down regs beforeXD its one of my many dreams!

1 Like

Same here, I have created one strain… semi accidently I really liked the male i didnt want to kill him… thought I will let a little pollen fly and bam full of seed haha but the creation… needs a little work as some mutants but she is alright

3 Likes

Oddly enough I do local consulting, some of my gear is in a dispensary.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Awesome pictures! Male looks like a stud!! The chem D cross i bet is awesome!!

Hopefully the colour comes out in the next few weeks! Yes i too have bought a genetic just because of the way it looked! LOL didnt care anything else i just wanted the “picture” bud… Man oh man it looked so crappy nothing at all like the picture!! I didn’t even end up smoking it! was so bad with issues and whatnot i cut it before it was finished just to make room for somthing better!

Hope you have better luck than I ! That last purple picture reminds me of Devil’s Tear , a strain i’d love to try!

2 Likes

I’ve been breeding feminized seeds for a very long time, never had a problem. While I prefer regular seeds feminized are a easy and a quick way to get your garden growing. I use these folks products great organization to deal with.

3 Likes

2 Likes

How is that stuff? Id make my own but i dont have the money for the equipment. Always wanted to try any kind of breeding.

2 Likes

From what i hear you don’t wanna just use 1 plant. you wanna spray 1 plant down entirely so it pollinates the rest. You can do a single plant Example spraying just 1 branch so the rest can be pollinated but in doing so you have a higher percentage of Hermaphrodites. But other than that suppose to be the best sure way to get a good batch of feminized seeds.

1 Like