Recreating old strains

Been an interest lately. Say I wanted to recreate the original type of trainwreck using landraces. How does one go about doing this?

13 Likes

Iā€™m going to go out on a limb and help get some debate going here.

This would be extremely miraculous, as that finding the original building blocks that made the strain would be just as difficult as then selecting the correct traits and then how to land on it - this also being dependant on how readily available and verifiable information you have on the target strain - as a further example, based on ā€˜it reeked of a lizard in heat and hit like a semiā€™ is this translatable for a correct pheno selection to forward the potential project?

However I also feel I may not be fully understanding the question, but I imagine the mission to be almost impossible, if Iā€™m correctly understanding.

Maybe Iā€™m just being pessimisticā€¦

8 Likes

A strain which you have, on the other hand : not a legendary one, such as Trainwreck, this would be possible.

Creating a project to recreate a strain with as much knowledge about its heritage as possible - using these blocks - and working towards traits you and others have witnessed in growing out progeny or cuts of trainwreck.

Sounds like a fun project.

*^ recreate would only be to recreate a version of a strain - not THE strain. Which would remain impossible.

2 Likes

I do not think it is possible to recreate a strain especially if it is a clone only. I mean the brother and sister seeds dont even replicate it. However i think it is super cool to create your version of said strain. Especially if you are able to source authentic genetics.

2 Likes

with enough land, time, and experts, itā€™s possible to create something similar to the goal. it has been 30+ years and people cant even figure out what made Chem 91 :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Wellā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Recreating something as old as Trainwreck is going to be a challenge for sureā€¦

Of course, nothing stops you from crossing mexi thai and afghanis too see what hand youā€™re dealt :wink:

While trying to recreate something you like, you just may create the next big thing.

Edit: a bunch of legendary strains are made from mexi, thai and afghanis. Ie Ak47, nl, cali-o(maybe :grin:) etc

7 Likes

Well, if you figure it out, please make me some original one hit AK47, because Ive been hunting it for 2 decades and havent come close. Run EVERY version of what is claimed to be ā€œitā€ , not it!

Suppose it is possible, IF the original genetics are still around, but the possibilites are endless, would be a daunting task.

1 Like

Can I pm you about your expertise on ak47 ?

The truth is, the real deal, which I grew perpetual for 2 years is amazing. One hit will lighten your head, and buzz you behind the eyes. Never felt that from anything else. I bought every sold version of it, nothing is good. Not even good in my opinion. YES, I even tried that one, lol!

1 Like

Hahaha, perfection :+1:

Thatā€™s exactly where I was going.

Doesnt happen often. The 47 wasnt perfect. It was stout, no doubt, and has something in it that hits immediately. Some terpene or compound, itā€™s NOT thc, had many test way higher than her(22 % if i remember) that never feel like her. But, taste was ok, buzz after onset is dirty, muddled, and short lived, at least my pheno of it was such. Not the best high for me. I liked her because I rolled the 1st 2 hits of every joint with the 47, lol! Rest was something else i liked, and lightened up the 47 hit.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my objective. Cross the 3 and see what I come up with. My thing is this: I see various types of strains out there, and wonder how close they are to the original. I was on a hunt last year to find real Acapulco Gold seeds. All I kept finding was Barneyā€™s farm. Thatā€™s not a full blown sativa, therefore not the real deal. I did manage to find some though, and that led me to wonder how many strains out there are close to the originals. Instead of figuring that out, I was thinking of just doing my own

2 Likes

Oh I meant your comment was perfect, kinda caught me off guard hahaā€¦

Now since ak47 is next on my seed purchase list, were joey weed f2 that bad?

Could save me a few hundreds :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™d probably try to find the best trainwreck seeds, find at least a few good males and then hit it to the Arcata Trainwreck cut. If you try to find random thai, afghan and mexican landraces and try to make trainwreck is like finding a needle in a haystack.

1 Like

I could do that, but at the same time, why not try to use landraces, and learn as I go? I understand the genetics arenā€™t going to be the same, but why not play with it a little?

1 Like

Yeah sounds like fun, just saying it wonā€™t be easy. Trainwreck has the terpinolene terps.

Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t be. Even if I donā€™t get anything close to the original, Iā€™ll be happy knowing I tried, and it will be fun trying to do.

2 Likes

I think itā€™d be fun as a curiosity, but Iā€™d rephrase the goal for practical reasons. The goal I would put out there is to explore similar combinations of genetics to see what else they have to offer.

The reason I say this is that trying to recreate something from scratch is a losing proposition. If you are relatively successful, then you still probably would have been better off just starting from something like a trainwreck backcross. If you are unsuccessful, then you just tie up your effort trying to get to the point where you realize that. :joy:

Replicas are only judged by how similar they are compared to the ā€œreal thingā€, flaws and all. If you make an improved trainwreck that is more potent and grows better, it still will not be trainwreck. Dehybridized sungold will never be F1 sungold. Itā€™s no different than your busted old dog. You donā€™t want a similar dog thatā€™s healthier and younger. Thereā€™s only one dog like scruffy, and thatā€™s scruffy.

People run themselves ragged chasing these bits of nostalgia and ā€œrealnessā€, and miss out on the the plants they are currently growing. When you can focus on what you have, instead of what you had, you open your mind to the potential greatness of whatā€™s in front of you.

23 Likes

Good point. Itā€™s mainly as a curiosity. Throw all 3 together, and see what happens.

2 Likes

Your chances are about as good as two people producing the same kid twice. It just doesnā€™t happen , you may get similar traits , but there will be very distinct differences also. Those parental lines if even available would have changed over time making the chances of a similar result even more difficult. Itā€™s why fingerprinting is so effective.

8 Likes