Ultimate sativa.. "Project Pipe Dream"

I’m very interested in trying to make my own cross similar to what was done with the" Haze" family. I however would like to make a fairly complex cross of the various rare landrace sativas from around the world and perhaps throw in a good uplifting landrace indica just to try and decrease the flowing times that are present in a lot of sativa’s. I think that I can actually make something of this"pipe Dream" with the help of others that is, as I’m only 1 person but if we can get a pool of people to help out with strains they might have and others to grow out some of the resulting testers we could find the keeper phenos a lot faster than if it were just me trying to grow, I am just 1 person with limited space and time. But I can imagine the possibilities if there were say 5-20 people working together on this, How the chances of coming up with something really special would increase. Hopefully I’m not alone in this idea of mine.

I will admit that I’m a newb when it comes to making crosses. But this is something I would really like to take on and see if I can come up with a respectable cross of these rare seed lines. I am wondering if there might be some fine folks here that might be willing to contribute to my pipe dream project? If anyone has a rare sativa that they think is special and are willing to contribute to my pipe dream project, I would be more than grateful and would gladly return the favor in the form of seeds from what I come up with if I am successful in breeding a keeper strain.
I will gladly send out testers to anyone that would be interested in testing what I have come up with for some much needed feedback, as I think that would be the only way to really come up with something special would be to spread the crosses around to as many various people willing to grow them out as testers as 10 or 20 people growing testers are way more likely at finding the special phenos that can then be used to cross with each other.
So essentially this could become a community project to whomever would be willing to contribute their time and space. So what I am looking for is rare landrace strains from all around the world as I would like this to be a world wide cocktail of sorts , such as african, asian,greek,indian, afghan,former soviet lands extra. You get the idea I think. The rarer the location the better in my opinion. My idea is to try and make the genetic genepool as varied as possible as I feel this will lead to the “holy grail” of sativas if all goes well!! If not nothing has been lost other than some time and effort and some seeds…
Well if anyone is willing to contribute in any way it would be much appreciated. I am all ears for any advice, suggestions or input of any kind. The Funny Thing Is that Sam The Skunkman has or has access to all of these rare sativas, But I don’t think he would be willing to share what he has received from many others that were willing to share with him for the Phylos Project . I wonder what Sam would say if I asked him to contribute some of the rare landraces he has come across from all the other generous people that were willing to send him seeds. You know what… I think I’m going to ask him just to see what his response will be… What do y’all think? Do you think he will be as generous to me as others have been for him? Or am I just too unimportant for him to even bother to help? Perhaps I will find out. I just think it is ashamed that there are people that have these incredible resources of seeds received from other people’s gift
's of generosity, But yet those same people will not share in what they have gotten from the generosity of others sharing with them in the first place.
Sorry for the rant. I just find it irritating that there are people that rely on other people’s generosity but yet they do not show that same generosity in return.
If anyones willing to contribute in any way please do. As I have stated I would love for this to grow into a community project if possible and from what I see though this site is small in comparison to others out there, It is one of the only ones that will allow something like this to be possible at all . As other sites do not condone community sharing projects of any sort unless you are a paying sponsor and they can make a buck off of you. What happened to the spirit of giving and a sense of community supporting each other. I hope OG grows to be a reflection of what they used to be… I’ve only had the pleasure of hearing some of the stories as I was not a member back then. But I hope to see only great things happen here as a new member.

5 Likes

I wish you luck gathering some rare strains.

But maybe easier would be to ask your friends and relative to bring you some seeds everytime they travel to some distant part of the world… to have some batch of seeds to start experimenting with…

I’m also not sure if you are aware that selecting (and stabilizing) takes years and usually breeders have more projects ongoing in the same time. Particularly sativas have pretty long flowering time (and with seed production you need to add one more week at least to have them mature) and you have to sacrifice a lot of time to this activity.

Sam The Skunkman has obviously big advantage being respected breeder :)…

5 Likes

Thank’s for the response,Ok, since I’m not a breeder let’s just call it “pollen chucking” with testers being run along the way. Well I don’t have many world travelling friends, so I don’t think that it would be easier than trying to pull resources from like minded and knowledgeable people on this forum.
I realize that this will be an ongoing time consuming project and that is why I would also love to get others on this site involved as 10-15 people working on the project will decrease the time taken to get somewhere at a faster pace than just me by myself for sure. I think it would be doable for sure with the OG communities help along the way.
That is why I want to get some people involved as 10 heads are better than 1. I think this could be a great project that benefit people on this forum regardless if it ever gets to a final phase so to speak. I’m sure others will still be able gain something from such a project. Like finding their own crosses.
Worst case there could be some good rare genetics that people here will be able to use how they seem fit even if they just use whatever strain to pollen chuck with, Someone might strike gold at least. The worst that can happen is that the project does not get completed. Even if so, people on this forum can still stand to benefit from such a project one way or another… Or someone else here can pick it back up from where it was left off if I fail to complete it for whatever reason… But I want this to end up being a community project, as it would have a much greater chance at succeeding for sure. There are many much more knowledgeable here than me for sure, so with a combined effort I feel it can be done!

No offense, its hard for me to give rare genetics to somebody that I do not know, in hopes of you somehow elevating the cultivar.

I’d like to see your garden and facility on display to prove you can deliver on a project, Even a simple pollen toss takes awhile It took me 6 months to get my Fire OG crosses. What you are suggesting is and F1 selection. and that takes ALOT of resources to do correctly.

I am not trying to be negative, just realistic.

6 Likes

This sums it up perfectly, The Malawi we are working on or with takes 12-14 weeks. Proper breeding is a resource hog and in my opinion is best suited to those with large scale farms, If you’re not using an ATV to get materials and equipment around the farm then I dont think there were enough seeds dropped looking for unique or elite phenotypes.

4 Likes

Agreed. The OP needs to work an apprenticeship at a large grow facility to get into the research areas indicated. True wisdom and groundbreaking knowledge must have a price. Sounds like a nice retirement scheme now that I write it out!

3 Likes

Well you have to start somewhere… Ok maybe you guys would be better served hoarding your rare landrace seeds for that day when everything is in a magical alignment and the conditions are perfect. Rather than trying to get a project going that any willing fellow OG member can be a part of that might just work out for everyone involved. Look I don’t need to be the lead guy in this project, But I am the one that is at least trying to get something off the ground and going for my benefit and others on here that would like to participate. I don’t want naysayers to tell me how it can’t be done or that it is only doable with a large grow facility, I want people that have an optimistic outlook that it could work with some participation on everyone’s part …
Look, if there are say 10-15 people working together on the project that have small or medium grow spaces it still adds up when you combine everyone. Personally I think 10-15 people working together on the project can accomplish more than 1 guy with a large grow opp., call me stupid for thinking so if you will… I would be happy just being a participant if you guys feel I’m not worthy or experienced enough. I know it would be an endeavour for sure…
I just thought it was a good idea and that other members might think so too…Perhaps I thought wrong.

Welcome to OG. Just hang out, have some fun and meet some folks. Breeders are looking for the proper people to test their gear.

2 Likes

I dont hoard rare or expensive seeds, Its wrong to assume so. For example this is the breeder i’m working with.has the proper facility to breed.

Black Death F2 selection.

Seed packs I picked up for him, 1500 bucks of seed there.

Show us you got what is required, I’m got my money and seeds on my breeder. He’s already put out thousands of seeds to various auction sites…

I just gotta say its unusual to go out to forums and ask people for rare genetics.

8 Likes

That’s a cool name…

2 Likes

I guess you don’t get my point, I don’t have to be the lead guy on the project, I would be happy just participating. Send the seeds to whomever you deem worthy and then if they are willing then they can can make f1’s or s1’s of the rare seeds that there are not many of, then they can be distributed to the other participants in the project.
Also I’m not wanting to test breeders stuff for them so they can go out and reap all the rewards of the finished product. I was wanting to have a community project come to life that people on this forum can all share in. Besides that most breeders are not into landrace sativa projects. There are some interested in perhaps mixing a little landrace with whatever other mixed genetics they are working with.But I don’t see to many pure landrace crosses being developed due to the long flowering times mainly.
I was not accusing anyone per say at hoarding. I was just saying would it not be better to share what you have than keep it to yourself or a select few. How about this if you are a person that would have an interest in a project like what I have posted about let’s talk about as for the naysayers why respond if only to bash the idea… And if you want to sponsor breeders with your money and buy expensive ass seed packs that’s your prerogative and if that makes you happy then by all means carry on…
I on the other hand can not see paying over $50 FOR A PACK MYSELF… Call me cheap I guess. When I see people selling their packs of seeds for $200+ a pack I see it as rip off of sorts, for me anyway’s. I have more respect for a breeder that has good genetics and passes them along at a fair price rather than trying to get top dollar as if they have something that is so much better then the guy that sells his for $50. But to each his own. Oh and you find it funny that someone would ask for landrace seeds on a marijuana forum full of like minded people…
But yet sam the skunkman can do it and it’s fine because he’s such a well known breeder… Perhaps someone ought to look into his past history a little more before all the high praise I have read quite a few things about the guy that would at the least make me leary. But that did not seem to stop many people from sending him tons of seeds at his request. I also hear the guy can be a real ego maniac, But that is just hearsay, He could be a great honest guy that wants to spread the seed.

I admire your spunk there pookie, and it bugs me too, the growing commercialization of cannabis, the hoarders, the knock offs, the ‘shady background’ of some of the legends in the industry etc. etc. I would love to see (as most ‘hippies’ and “gen xers” imo) a project like yours perhaps, with a defined focus that is different than ‘discovering’ the next sativa ‘holy grail’ by hybridizing elites. This is the domain of the pros’ and takes lots of money time and connections, the kind of connections that you don’t meet thru forums. I don’t know you or your situation and I am not trying to put your spirit down, but what do you do with the best weed ever once you find it? Give it away for free by the millions of seeds? I know you named the thread pipe dream, hopefully you get the irony. I am sure there are lots of ‘closet charities’ on here that would be willing to help out, perhaps focusing on something in a legal region where you could contribute all you grow to the med community, while you get others(who are also legal) to join in the effort, meanwhile carrying out the long selection process? I am interested in spirit pookie, but be careful about using terms like naysayers with some of the members here, as they just might be someone who can get you another step in the right direction. There are giants among us here and on other sites, I have learned everything on them, and chatted with a couple on these forums, be focused persistent,patient, and polite, and you be surprised at what you can get done, Cheers man.

5 Likes

LOL that almost sounds like a job offer? LOL Good idea though, man I wish I was a millenial these days you can actually do that legally, fuck, grow and breed primo in a huge field and still be a respected contributing member of society…maybe pipe dreams can come to fruition…I gotta go, I’m tearing up…

1 Like

Well I appreciate your input. But that is in fact what I have been getting in response to my proposal, A bunch of it’s too much trouble and time and you need to be a breeder with a large space. And talking to me like I have no idea of what it would involve for a pollen chucking project. That is why I would like to see as many people as possible get involved as 10 people working on a project can get more done than just 1 unless your Einstein or Stephan Hawkings. Not to mention everyone can bounce ideas off of each other. I can see this is gonna go nowhere real fast. Oh well, I thought it was a great idea. If anything it could have been a fun project to collaborate together on. I’m sure more would could be gained from such a project than lost… I never said I was an expert grower or had a large grow space. But I can grow and I’m willing to listen and learn from the more experienced. But I’m capable of growing and pollinating a few plants I think anyways…

Yeah, I guess I’m not considered a Millennial either as I was born in the beginning of 73…

Im a couple years older, I’m up in the great white north, I just do my own thing, and have gone thru quite a few strains (uhh, ya just a few), pollen chucked a bit, got my recycled organic shit groove going on. I didn’t mean to patronize you there. What, may I ask, is your end goal? What advice has been given so far by the other contributors is right, IMO. If you can lay something out more specifically, maybe I can help (Just like almost everyone here tries to). Smoke another pipe, You have an idea, YOU have to be the leader. Expand on your pet project, I am listening.

2 Likes

"END GOAL"Let me think on that overnight and get back to you as it’s past my bed time… No worries, I appreciate your input and I will check back in tomorrow with more input for you on what I would like to see come out of such a project… Have a goodnight.

1 Like

Just a bit of my experience, not bs ing or bragging, here. I’ve been smoking since the late 70’s and didn’t get into gardening till my kids were all over 19. I consider myself a noob when it comes to growing. Having said that, it didn’t take long to produce shit that smokes consistently better than anything (except for a few gems in the 70’s and 80’s) I have got on the ‘street’ in 40 years. This came from learning from these forums and any bit of gardening growing literature I could find, cannabis or otherwise on how to care and grow. And then applying that knowledge for years in the garden. Basically, even a dutch genetic factory grown seed, grown properly produces better product than 75% of the available weed, legal and otherwise. What you are talking of, and you said you are aware, takes a lot of time and effort, especially how you would like to try, Like any breeder will tell you with perfecting or crossing a strain, you have to have a goal with your plant. Is your main focus potency, flavour, etc. etc. Give me an idea about what you like in your smoke and what is in it for you in the end? I’m trying to help you if I can…

2 Likes

Well I’m looking for something a little different than most hence why I’m wanting to do an all landrace or mostly landrace cross. Of course if given the choice I would want something that has it all effect,taste,smell and bag appeal. But most of all effect would be my number 1 goal. I’m looking for something that is very euphoric, high energy and uplifting bordering psychedelic if that would be the right way to put it. Then I would worry about all the other qualities such as appearance,smell,taste and growth times etcetera.
Maybe I should just take the easy way and just go with say a nevilles haze or something, But that would defeat the purpose of having a part in something of my own in collaboration with others that I think would be fun and much more rewarding in the end than just buying someone else’s seeds. As far as an end result. I will be happy as far as it takes me.
The way I see it, Even if the project never sees completion it will still have benefited me and others on this forum one way or another… I see no disappointments in the end. So I will leave it at that. If anyone is interested in working together on such a harebrained project let me know. If not, I tried. Thank’s…

Ok, lets try to put a positive spin on this.

Tell us your background in breeding and with cannabis. Pictures help. I think this will help other members decide if they want to participate in your ultimate sativa project. Why do you think you should spearhead this project?.