Landrace strains - general thread

Yes it sounds interesting, Also the Real Seed Co. is affordably priced… There is also a company called Seeds of Africa that sell about 9-10 different african landrace strains… They are a relatively new company as far as I can tell, I don’t know much about them but I do have some Malawi gold from them I plan to pop soon… So I will see for myself. :alien:

1 Like

Im growing a pretty wild Mexican variety right now, it’s called Oaxaca 12 Fingers and needs around 18 weeks to flower. Here is my little Thread. :slight_smile:

https://overgrow.com/t/oaxaca-12-fingers-grow/6110

2 Likes

Here is how Seeds Of Africa describe themselves, If it is true what they say of themselves I respect them for what they are doing…
More info about this breeder:
Africa is home to the finest examples of Cannabis Sativa on the planet and our intention is to pass on these pure “foundation strains” to the rest of humanity so as not to lose them forever in a world dominated by hybridised/feminized cannabis varieties. Today’s Cannabis has been modified to the extent that many have lost their original mystic and power, giving way to the unnatural demands of today’s grower. These modern day strains get nowhere near the purity and clarity of their ancestral family as all of the original “power phenos” are lost within the process of cross breeding and feminising., We are not breeders, we consider ourselves preservationists, and along with passing on these genetics, we also want to share an understanding of where these wild landrace Sativa’s grow by detailing the conditions of the area that they are collected. This will give you a higher understanding of each strain and hopefully bring you closer to the plant itself. We hope that the rare phenotypes in each strain will be selected, collected and protected, claiming back the legendary Sativa strains of ancient Africa and the beauty, power and purity that are within them.

5 Likes

Ah yes. Africa. I have seeds from 4 different sources of Durbans now as well as my own cross and that is what I will be working on next year. Friends in South Africa say that Durban Poison is nearly extinct there, and its all Swazi weed there now.

Oaxacan strains are also interesting, and highly varied. Many have mint terpenes, and others have lemon terpenes. Not the most potent weed from ‘old’ Mexico, but the highest and most varied in terpenes in my experience. I also forgot to list a Zacatecas Purple that I have. Tall, completely purple tops, and really late bloomer.

3 Likes

I like those not extremely potent weed, since im a pretty sensitive person. I hate when a Sativa is too strong and gives me extreme heart racing, brain freezing etc. The friendly happy Oaxacans are what im concentrate on. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am with you there, bro. You would like the Lebanese Red then. Not overwhelming, but good. More like a sativa than an inidca (even though it is touted as an indica). Like Oaxacan, you can control the high better by the number of hits. Not one hit and you are crawling out of your skin with the heebie jeebies.

When I was growing in Southern Oregon I grew landrace and heirloom strains. Mostly Mexicans. My ex’s friends complained that they ‘tasted like Mexican’. I took that as a compliment, and that irritated them, as it was meant to be a slam. They wanted one hit couchlock weed. OG Kush. So did my ex. I mush prefer sativas. I also harvest earlier which tends to have a more cerebral high to it than later harvested weed. Clear trichomes, not amber.

I cut my MJ teeth with sativas though. That was all we had in NorCal in the early to mid 1970s. Thai, Mexican, and Colombian mostly. It was great. $20 to $40 a lid. Some were potent as all fuck. Many blogs claim that the weed today is stronger, but I would refute that and say that the weed today is more indica, and thus more couchlock. But stronger today than Kerala, Thai, Durban and Colombian? No way Jose.

9 Likes

Big sur, i think youve trippled your karma from last few posts what you have written and shared your opinions, feer! :slight_smile: thank you for it

With your xp, what about zamal weed from madagascar?

1 Like

And the panama was also very interesting, more dreamy high due to cbg content, also interesting. Santa maria, i remember it was huge dreamy high among skunks, but who knows if i smoke it everyday after week it will be probably same. Pause between smoking makes more than years of searching for ideal seed imo

1 Like

The funny thing is, the Oaxaca79SKULL from my friend Vermontman i’ve grown “probably” has some lebanese ancestors. He was in Amsterdam in the end of the 80’s and smoked there some lebanes hash which reminds him to his Oaxaca strain. So it could be that there is some lebanese inside, but hard to say without a DNA test. It has a nice resin production, but the resin profile is VERY fine, like powder. It smells very piney, a bit berry and also had a background smell which reminds me of hazelnuts in a hazelnut chocolate. :slight_smile:

Here 2 Pictures

8 Likes

I recently bought some Afghan Kush, I also have seeds of swazi hybrids I made a few years ago.

That is an excellent point, and I agree wholeheartedly.
Unfortunately, not only blogs attempt to assert the bogus “fact” that today’s weed is so very much stronger than that of the '60s and '70 (and '80s ).
Many mainstream sources make this same erroneous assertion as well.

1 Like

You are comparing landraces to modern crosses

1 Like

Maybe the overall quality is better now because so much is grown indoors and the average thc content is higher, we have a bit more knowledge on how to grow then back in the 60’s and 70’s…

not saying there wasn’t high thc cannabis back then just less knowledged farmers, not separating male from females etc, when pollinated plants put much of their energy into seed production vs thc and cannabinoids, less selective breeding and cloning and more open field random pollonisation…

I’m too young to know but from listening to my dad who is 68 the colombian gold and the panama and the thai imported back then was fing good!

Oddly a few people that I have been in contact with lately that are working with Zamal, but I have zero experience with it. I know a lot about and have grown western hemisphere landraces, some SE Asian and Indian strains, lots of California heirlooms, South African and African Black (magic) and Lebanese. I have also grown a lot of newer strains, but nothing from Madagascar.

I was right there with ya brother and I concur. First weed I smoked in CA in 79 was to this day some of the strongest I have ever smoked. I was a Bay area transplant from Washington DC, and we had the local VA Skunk, killer Colombians, Panama’s, and Thai, but that local grown CA weed at that time was next level.

1 Like

Several reasons for pot being claimed as better now than ‘then’. One being the seed pushers and breeders making such claims want to sell you crossed seeds. I have had this argument for years now, that my landraces are not as good as the newer Amsterdam crosses. That argument goes back as long ago as 1978 or so with my oldest brother and his breeding partner in Pacific Valley (at the south end of Big Sur). I am of the Big Sur Holy Weed philosophy that you grow landraces as is, and they can be improved simply by growing sinsemilia, or growing indoors under lights. And more important, growing indoors or in a GH with night heat when finishing. Night heat (or warmth) has been shown to increase potency rather dramatically, and why indoor typically is more potent that out. Also as I said before, lots of people like indica and couchlock, rather than sativa and brain freeze. I have grown Durban that is like 20%, but the THCv in there competes with the THC receptors and you do not THINK that you are as high as you really are, so you smoke more… and then WHAM! The THCv lasts for only about 20 minutes and then fades. But it is a different high than indica.

THE most potent weed I have ever smoked was a sativa, a South Indian Ganja. I got a few oz’s of that stuff from my GF from Hawaii at that time that was mad at me for giving her a J of the Guerrero that I had a half pound of. She smoked the J and froze up for 2 hours and was unable to go anywhere. So she got me the ganja as ‘revenge’. But I was immune to that for some reason, and others froze up on it but I did not. That Guerrero was the second most potent weed I have ever smoked, to date. Anyway, they were both bought back in 1975. In “general” a lot of weed back then was low quality bricked, from Mexico and Colombia. But there was better to be had, mostly loose tops from Colombia/Panama and Mexico, sticky ganja, hashish, and SE Asian Cambodian Red, and the skinny Thai sticks. The Thai sticks were covered in trichomes, and they glistened. These were not the later fat sticks that were dipped in hash oil and made me pass out, but the zippy trippy Thai that made you feel really really good. It was like Durban Poison. Good Cambodian Red was also potent as all fuk. But now anything red from SE Asia is called Cambodian and a lot of it is bunk. Yeh had to shop around for the good weed in the 70s, but it was out there.

1 Like

I supplied seeds in the later 70s to several growers in Carmel Valley, Big Sur and Prunedale. They knew I collected seeds and that I supplied them to friends. Seeds were in every bag of weed then, so no big thing. Anyway, one grower gave me an oz or two as a ‘thank you’ for seeds, and that stuff was amazing. Grown outdoors, sinsemilia, he was a gardener from Mexico working on a large fancy estate. I think it was from seeds from a Colombian Black strain (AKA, wacky weed) or Colombian green (what Franco called Limon Verde). He had learned how to grow sinsemilia in Mexico (simple, pull all the males). Anyway, I got people stoned off their gourds with pinners of that. Even the band Crazy Horse at the Old Sash Mill in Santa Cruz. My brother and I got them so fuked up one night that they had to stop playing. That was in '78 or '79. The bud from Big Sur then was amazing too. Cheap, $60 an oz. Really good Mexican sinsemilia was coming in then as well for $50 an oz. Out with the old seeded brick, and in with the new loose top quality low or no seed bud. Until High Times posted the prices that we paid for weed in California, and then the prices went through the roof! Preference also shifted to coke and booze then as well. And the weed days declined. Or shifted to growing in Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. Then the indica breeding went into high gear too. That paradigm is now ending as well, now that weed will be legal to sell in California about 70 days from now.

3 Likes

Few friends a bit older claim to have smoked that and both claim it was the strongest they ever smoked. Not something I would want myself, but does it even exist anymore?

2 Likes

Actually it does. Both Colombian Black and Panama Reds popped up here this summer as clones at a dispensary for sale. I just missed buying them. The laws changed here in Oregon this year, and rather than unlimited clones allowed for medical card holders, they are limiting them to 12 per card now. So some large strain hoards had to be culled, and they hit the dispensaries. Next year the OLCC is tightening up on all the genetics, and only bar coded stock will be allowed to be bought, held and sold by license holders, meaning dispensaries and growers. To this point they have allowed new growers to source plants from any place in the state w/o bar codes for the first 3 months of being granted a license. Oregon the stupid… as of 2018 no new genetics will be allowed into the Oregon inventory system. For us home and 2 card or less OMMP growers though? Not so. We are not required to use the stupid inventory system. I am sure that will change though.

I know of some strains being held in Humboldt that are rare as well. I also have a large array of Colombian seed strains still in my collection. I may or may not still have that strain. It made people silly in a hurry.

4 Likes

I get out to Oregon every so often. My mother is in Eugene along with a few other family members. Couln’t imagine even trying to grow in that climate there. Guessing most don’t and do it all indoors.

Appreciate the conversation, and all your info!

1 Like